Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 AM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And I agree if they did something like this of anyone else the ACLU would be all over it
Show me how this is hate speech. Show me how this is advocating doing anything to christians, condemning christians, condemning their actions, REALLY attacking the religion or it's followers. Show me how this should warrant legal action. It's a bunch of people in leather behind a long table with "toys".

What's telling about the reactions here is that the "offense" is really that they're gay. That's what's going on here. It's not even a good mimic of Leonardo's Last Supper and honestly, what else do people picture when you say Last Supper other than that fresco? If it was a similar ad for a sports memorabilia event and everyone was in various uniforms with things like cards, bats, and helmets on the table people wouldn't be offended. If it was a food event and everyone was dressed as a chef with pots, pans, ladles, and spatulas on the table people wouldn't be offended. If it was an ad for NASCAR with everyone in those jumpsuits and wheels, motor oil and tire irons on the table no one would be offended. See where I'm going with this? All of the "offense" at "mocking" christianity is nonsense. If anything, the homosexuals should be offended at the reactions of christians to the ad. Christians are offended by the very sight of them, the thoughts of what they do together (which is why there's such a reaction to the outfits and "toys") and they feel perfectly justified because as the person I quoted above stated, "The fact is in the book!" that they should hate who they are and what they do. I think all of this negative reaction to the ad is just one more on a loooong list of offenses against the homosexual community prompted by religion, specifically christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Its their right.. It is stupid but we have lots of stupid rights in this country (guns).. but that gets off topic. If this is the most offending thing most Christians can find then go to a homeless shelter.. You'll quickly be offended by society and forget all about this stupid picture.

You mean the homeless shelters that are mostly funded by Christians and filled with Christian church groups that volunteer?
Oh, many of us have already been there. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
No.. but good guess. What I mean was spend less time on a message board complaining about a stupid poster and more time doing something that actually helps somebody.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
No.. but good guess. What I mean was spend less time on a message board complaining about a stupid poster and more time doing something that actually helps somebody.
Aaaah, back to this line of thinking. As Christians we should have no free time for anything but charltable work. Every spare moment should be spent washing the feet of the poor. Gotcha.

You're talking to a bunch here that's pretty active in volunteerism, from what I've read over the past year. And you're on here, why? Should we go back to your posts and determine for you what you should be wasting your time doing, or not doing?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Homosexuals Mock 'Last Supper' With Sex-Toys Twist (broken link)

Organizers of San Francisco's Folsom Street Fair -- sponsored by Miller Brewing Co. -- have portrayed Christ and his disciples as half-naked homosexual sadomasochists in the event's promotional advertisement, and the conservative group Concerned Women for America is complaining about the hypocrisy of it.

I would love to add my comments but I am sure I would get banned.
Maybe I'm different than everybody here, but when I see something like this I don't see it as a personal attack and am not outraged. I am rather saddened.... It is an affront against God, who will be the judge someday; not an attack against me personally. The horrible fate in store for the unrepentant who mock the Lord is unimaginable, and I have no joy in that thought at all. As a Christian, I expect that the world will become more ungodly until the end of time, so things like this don't really surprise me... To react in outrage and say these things should be outlawed is missing the point, because we all have a choice. As Christians, all we can do is let our light shine.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times
Address the real point, that the offense is that it's a gay ad and christianity is against homosexuals. Debating who does more charity work is distracting from the point. Tell me specifically why this ad is offensive and how it would still be if it was a bunch of baseball players, cartoon characters, chefs, whatever. I don't believe you can. The entire "offense" is to the fact that this is tailored to gays who your holy book claims are "detestable".

Old 09-26-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Address the real point, that the offense is that it's a gay ad and christianity is against homosexuals. Debating who does more charity work is distracting from the point. Tell me specifically why this ad is offensive and how it would still be if it was a bunch of baseball players, cartoon characters, chefs, whatever. I don't believe you can. The entire "offense" is to the fact that this is tailored to gays who your holy book claims are "detestable".
Well if that was directed towards me, I was responding to another post. True, we got off topic for a moment.

I already posted my opinion on this. I can see where it's coming from as homosexuals, for the most part, feel targeted by Christians.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Aaaah, back to this line of thinking. As Christians we should have no free time for anything but charltable work. Every spare moment should be spent washing the feet of the poor. Gotcha.

You're talking to a bunch here that's pretty active in volunteerism, from what I've read over the past year. And you're on here, why? Should we go back to your posts and determine for you what you should be wasting your time doing, or not doing?
Sweet.. I have a line of thinking now. I'll copyright it. I didn't say spend every spare moment "washing the feet of the poor". Actually I never mentioned feet.. your words not mine. However, if you've talked to a poor person you probably know dirty feet is the last of his/her problems so I would not advocate washing feet. A meal would do.

I'm also talking to a bunch who who are complaining about a picture and I realize I have to balance that out in my head. Good Christians vs A Picture. It is a difficult balance. Why am I here? So not every person that comes on here thinks every Christian is a right wing nut job. I welcome you to go back and look at every one of my posts. I have nothing to hide. I'm assuming your point was why don't I do more important "christian" things other than post here. Please keep this in mind.. I'm not the one who complained about the picture. I'm the one who said it was ridiculous to waste time complaining about the picture. If you feel as though your time is better spent complaining about it.. by all means have fun. More power to ya. Get the good word out there.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Sweet.. I have a line of thinking now. I'll copyright it. I didn't say spend every spare moment "washing the feet of the poor". Actually I never mentioned feet.. your words not mine. However, if you've talked to a poor person you probably know dirty feet is the last of his/her problems so I would not advocate washing feet. A meal would do.

I'm also talking to a bunch who who are complaining about a picture and I realize I have to balance that out in my head. Good Christians vs A Picture. It is a difficult balance. Why am I here? So not every person that comes on here thinks every Christian is a right wing nut job. I welcome you to go back and look at every one of my posts. I have nothing to hide. I'm assuming your point was why don't I do more important "christian" things other than post here. Please keep this in mind.. I'm not the one who complained about the picture. I'm the one who said it was ridiculous to waste time complaining about the picture. If you feel as though your time is better spent complaining about it.. by all means have fun. More power to ya. Get the good word out there.
I'm not here to have a personal argument with you. I don't care what you do with your spare time. I just find it a bit condescending that you'd like to determine how some of us should spend ours, suggesting we go to a shelter instead.

By the way, there actually is a wonderful ministry called "Samaritan's Feet" that does wash the feet of the poor, and dejected. And if you could see the looks on the faces of these people that society has cast out, as someone kneels down and lovingly washes their feet, you it would touch you deeply. You really wouldn't be so flip about it.

And once again, I did not complain about the picture.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
I would consider it offensive if it were any one of the things you mentioned above because it would be making light of something that represents something holy, and that seems irreverent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality