Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 07:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
I think atheists like you seeth with unfocused rage at the world. I have no idea why. Maybe it's all those unanswered prayers....
Well considering you completely lied about little things like facts, who care what you "think". And FYI, genius, I have never prayed, not once. I was never raised with religion, those who aren't tend not to talk to imaginary friends.

And no, I am actually very happy, most rational people are.

Quote:
I really don't care about some official definition.
Or facts, statistics, evidence, or reality. Got it!

Quote:
It's like many things - you know it (atheism) when you see it. Besides Nobody believes in everything. So i suppose by your definition we are all atheists. Swell. Lol
Maybe you should work on reading comprehension as that is literally what I said.

Quote:
I believe in a higher being, and I choose Christianity as my religion. Doesn't mean I walk the line 100%, or pretend to really know and understand the true nature and essence of God. Good gracious, I'm just a dumb human, to believe otherwise would be arrogant as hell.
Ah, so those of us who don't pretend to even know if a god exists, would be the least arrogant of all. Thanks.

Quote:
I didn't ask you to prove a negative, oh smartest of smart ones. I just said show me scientific, observational, peer reviewed, evidence of how those things occur. A simple and straight forward request, surely.
No you set up a strawman. That is a type of logical fallacy. BTW, that is your second one in one post. Good job.

No such evidence exists. By its definition it cannot. Sorry but rational people do not look for things that do not exist. I know, something outside your skill set. But really, no one, not even atheist make those claims. Look the argument that everything has to be created has been refuted a hundred times, want me to do it again? Ok. If EVERYTHING has to be created, who/what created your god? Can't answer that? Then by your logic it must not exist.

Because we do not believe in gods, atheist are free to answer the question of where did life come from the most honestly of all people. WE DO NOT KNOW. So what? You don't KNOW other.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 PM

714 posts, read 813,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You mean places like Georgia?

Nope, I live in the NE.

But apparently point out facts like that you complete fabricated the 99% number is something you are not happy with. OTOH, sort of goes along with organized religion.

As for personally making up you god I stand corrected, someone else MADE UP your god. Thanks for clearing that up.
Ooooh, youre one of dem godless yanks eh? Admit it you worship Tom Brady, or maybe Derek jeter.lol

Atlanta isn't Georgia pal. Ever been here. One of the larger cities in the country. busiest airport in the world. Hosted the Olympics. Home to many Fortune 500 companies. But yeah, we're just a bunch of rubes....say, you or yor kids picked on any bus monitors lately? Lol

Mr nit picker thinks he gets debate points because I "fabricated" a number that clearly wasnt meant literally. Like 99% of people like ice cream. The point is, it's a very popular dessert. Get it?

Stephen Hawking made up the unprovable multiverse theory. Just cause he's really smart and can make up smart sounding theories doesn't mean it's right.

People have had nearly 2000 years to debunk Christianity. You've got your work cut out for you, hoss.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:31 PM

714 posts, read 813,638 times
Quote:
Well considering you completely lied about little things like facts, who care what you "think". And FYI, genius, I have never prayed, not once. I was never raised with religion, those who aren't tend not to talk to imaginary friends.

And no, I am actually very happy, most rational people are.

Most rational people are happy? Where is your back up stat for that, mr nit picker?

Or facts, statistics, evidence, or reality. Got it!

I kno you think snide remarks sound clever and "get my goat", but they just make you sound like...the angry person that you are. Sure you're "very happy"? You really don't sound it to me. Boohoo

Maybe you should work on reading comprehension as that is literally what I said.

Yea, I just couldnt fathom such an absurd statement. Whatever.

Ah, so those of us who don't pretend to even know if a god exists, would be the least arrogant of all. Thanks.

agnostics are not very arrogant typically. Atheists who proclaim there is no god and they know it through their superior reasoning skills are surely the most arrogant.

No you set up a strawman. That is a type of logical fallacy. BTW, that is your second one in one post. Good job.

more snide ness. I bet you have too many friends to count! Lolololololololol

No such evidence exists. By its definition it cannot. Sorry but rational people do not look for things that do not exist. I know, something outside your skill set. But really, no one, not even atheist make those claims. Look the argument that everything has to be created has been refuted a hundred times, want me to do it again? Ok. If EVERYTHING has to be created, who/what created your god? Can't answer that? Then by your logic it must not exist.

This is actually an easy question. God has always existed, as he exists outside our universe, outside our particular dimension, and is not subject to the laws of time and space, as are we. The big bang was his doing, at which point time as we know it began. If you believe in the big bang, as is generally held true, there must be a cause. What was that cause? Or did the universe just create itself? It's either one or the other. Personally, I find the idea of a higher being creator much more tenable than a self creating magic universe creating machine....oh yea, where did all those mathematically beautiful laws of physics come from? If there is no god, they just happened, eh? Rigghhtttt......

Because we do not believe in gods, atheist are free to answer the question of where did life come from the most honestly of all people. WE DO NOT KNOW. So what? You don't KNOW other.
Let me point that by your definition, many atheists do believe in one god. Lol

that's right. Nobody knows for sure where life came from or how it originated. Especially complex life. You have faith there is no god behind it. I have faith there is. Same difference, really.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,683 times
Default That's not pie on your face!!!

Quote:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson? The Declaration of Independence??

"In God We Trust" was made the national motto in....wait for it.....1956

In God we trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And fyi, it DOES NOT APPEAR in the Declaration of Independence. Anywhere.

File:Yale Dunlap Broadside.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Listen closely jackson... not you, not rm, not any one, can produce any evidence whatsoever showing that inert matter, by chance, turned into an information-based life form. And yes...you are in G-d. You are incapable of trusting outside of Him. FYI?? I never said that the words "IN G-d We Trust" appear in The Declaration of Independence. All I said was that to acknowledge The Creator G-d in a political document (such as what Thomas Jefferson did in The Declaration of Independence) is not religion.
G-d Blessing you...

Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Poow widdle atheists. Awwwww. Boohoo.

Why do you care? Why would you want to be amongst the ignorant hordes of believers anyway?

Only a crazy Christian would get worked up about your lack of faith. The rest of us don't give a flying frack, rest assurred.
Except the op. Which is who we are addressing in this thread. If a Christian poster didn't ask the question, you wouldn't here from us poor little Atheists. That you can have faith in. We are simply replying, and our reply is what ruffles your feathers. You would like a different reply, hence this issue. Why do Atheists argue more with Christians. Simple, they ask more questions and argue more replies.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Ooooh, youre one of dem godless yanks eh? Admit it you worship Tom Brady, or maybe Derek jeter.lol

Atlanta isn't Georgia pal. Ever been here. One of the larger cities in the country. busiest airport in the world. Hosted the Olympics. Home to many Fortune 500 companies. But yeah, we're just a bunch of rubes....say, you or yor kids picked on any bus monitors lately? Lol

Mr nit picker thinks he gets debate points because I "fabricated" a number that clearly wasnt meant literally. Like 99% of people like ice cream. The point is, it's a very popular dessert. Get it?

Stephen Hawking made up the unprovable multiverse theory. Just cause he's really smart and can make up smart sounding theories doesn't mean it's right.

People have had nearly 2000 years to debunk Christianity. You've got your work cut out for you, hoss.
I guess we could leave that up to an individuals definition of "smart"

Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
LOL means laugh out loud. Did you actual find the above comment funny? Weird.

Anyway, I don't particularly follow professional sports, aside from surfing. So no I am no real fan of either the yankees or patriots.

Quote:
Atlanta isn't Georgia pal.
Yes. It is. In fact it is the capital of Georgia.

Quote:
Ever been here.
Yes multiple times. I keep trying to like their aquarium.

Quote:
One of the larger cities in the country. busiest airport in the world. Hosted the Olympics. Home to many Fortune 500 companies. But yeah, we're just a bunch of rubes....say, you or yor kids picked on any bus monitors lately? Lol
I don't live in upstate NY. And fyi Atlanta is barely in the top 40 for US cities.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I have no idea what a rube is but Atlanta is in Georgia, and thus in the south.

Quote:
First, I am not a "Mr.". Second, making things up is making things up. Fabricating statistics is BS. Just because it is common, doesn't make it correct.

Quote:
Yes, which is why its at best a THEORY. Honestly, though given the lack of falsifiability most cosmology is more of a philosophy than science.

Quote:
I don't need to debunk christianity. It has no proof. That is like debunking santa.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Listen closely jackson... not you, not rm, not any one, can produce any evidence whatsoever showing that inert matter, by chance, turned into an information-based life form. And yes...you are in G-d. You are incapable of trusting outside of Him. FYI?? I never said that the words "IN G-d We Trust" appear in The Declaration of Independence. All I said was that to acknowledge The Creator G-d in a political document (such as what Thomas Jefferson did in The Declaration of Independence) is not religion.
G-d Blessing you...
The name at the top right of the post is called a USERNAME.

Mine is not jackson, littlewitless.

Finally, all of the above blather is just that. Blather. Why would I listen to someone who thinks "In God we Trust" is in the declaration of independence? And put there by Jefferson??

Oh, and I am not sure why you cannot type the o in god. See it is right there g O d. And how do you know your god has a penis? If you lift up the skirt he wears in can you see it? Weird.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Most rational people are happy? Where is your back up stat for that, mr nit picker?

Chekola, M. 2007. Happiness, rationality, autonomy and the good life. Jour Happ Studies

Quote:
I kno you think snide remarks sound clever and "get my goat", but they just make you sound like...the angry person that you are. Sure you're "very happy"? You really don't sound it to me. Boohoo

Another logical fallacy. Ad hominem. Can't disprove anything I say, so instead, you attack me personally. Consistent at least.

Quote:
agnostics are not very arrogant typically. Atheists who proclaim there is no god and they know it through their superior reasoning skills are surely the most arrogant.

Again, definitions matter. Please invest in a dictionary.

Atheist means without belief. Agnostic means without knowledge. Example I am an agnostic atheist because I do not have any knowledge of any deities, and thus have no belief in any. I know, right over your head.

Quote:
more snide ness. I bet you have too many friends to count! Lolololololololol

More ad homs. I am sure you spend lots of time counting your friends.

Quote:
This is actually an easy question. God has always existed, as he exists outside our universe, outside our particular dimension, and is not subject to the laws of time and space, as are we. The big bang was his doing, at which point time as we know it began. If you believe in the big bang, as is generally held true, there must be a cause. What was that cause? Or did the universe just create itself? It's either one or the other. Personally, I find the idea of a higher being creator much more tenable than a self creating magic universe creating machine....oh yea, where did all those mathematically beautiful laws of physics come from? If there is no god, they just happened, eh? Rigghhtttt......

Magic universe? You mean like one made by your sky daddy? LOL!

Again, no one knows what caused the singularity (big bang is not the correct terms anymore). WE can hypothesize but not only do we not know, we likely never will. So what?

Oh and the rest of the above is just special pleading. Logical fallacy number 4!! You:"Everything needs a cause!! Everything!! Oh but not my god, he is special, he needs no cause, he and only he is eternal. Even though I have no proof of its existence....blah blah blah....."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

And the laws of physics, not beautiful, not elegant, full of constants added to make things work. Really, educate yourself a teensy bit.

Quote:
that's right. Nobody knows for sure where life came from or how it originated. Especially complex life.
And we have the strawman again! Come on there are way more than 5 fallacies. Try to be original.

We may not know where life originated from, but we do know what happened to it once it got here. So yes, we know where complex life forms came from, simpler ones.
Quote:
You have faith there is no god behind it. I have faith there is. Same difference, really.Let me point that by your definition, many atheists do believe in one god. Lol
Again, just because you want to pretend that I made the positive claim there is no god doesn't make it true. That is just a lie on your part. I have no faith in god or in the non-existence of gods. Sorry, again, right over your head, I know.
Quote:
that's right. Nobody knows for sure where life came from or how it originated. Especially complex life. You have faith there is no god behind it. I have faith there is. Same difference, really.
Back to the strawman, its sort of your default isnt it. Problems though.

First, we do know where complex life came from.Second, you are the one making the claim "god exists, and not only that it is the biblical christian one". Well burden of proof is on you to prove it. Good luck with that.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
I disagree emphatically that no one can know for sure that God exists. I know to an absolute certainty that the God of the bible exists and that He is our creator. (that is the God of Jacob, the God of Abraham, the Father of Jesus Christ of Nazareth)

dys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality