Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Note: strong quantitative support is not evidence. It is the same as saying there is evidence of God's existence but no scientific proof.
To extend on what everyone else has said, the two are in no way comparable. Evolution makes specific predictions, and when future observations match these predictions then yes, that is in fact evidence in favor of the theory.

That's totally different than making an observation and then after the fact tacking on the idea that the observation is evidence for god. "Predictions" are really easy to make after events happen, so it's not at all convincing to use that as an excuse to believe in god. You'll need to actually do the hard work of making concrete predictions about god before trying to test for it. Doing so in reverse is just like shooting an arrow and then drawing a bulls-eye around where it lands. Sure, it looks like you always hit the target but it is a pretty dishonest way to prove anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 AM

707 posts, read 687,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
To extend on what everyone else has said, the two are in no way comparable. Evolution makes specific predictions, and when future observations match these predictions then yes, that is in fact evidence in favor of the theory.

That's totally different than making an observation and then after the fact tacking on the idea that the observation is evidence for god. "Predictions" are really easy to make after events happen, so it's not at all convincing to use that as an excuse to believe in god. You'll need to actually do the hard work of making concrete predictions about god before trying to test for it. Doing so in reverse is just like shooting an arrow and then drawing a bulls-eye around where it lands. Sure, it looks like you always hit the target but it is a pretty dishonest way to prove anything.
This is about history and not predictions. Ancestry.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
^ Yes we like evidence very much. Evidence, arguments, data and reasoning are all good things. If you want to suggest there is a god then perhaps it is time to start offering one or more of these things?
Numerous things have been offered as evidence but it is still up to the individual listening to make their own decisions. I think so many like yourself are looking for answers because you continue to show yourself on a forum thread like this.

But personally, and I do not mean anything by it, I don't believe all of us are meant to know God. I don't mean any disrespect or anything like that, but maybe some scientists do their best work because they are devout atheists and are searching for specific scientific answers. But some thing will illude a scientist like that. Phychic powers for one. Those people who work for the police for example. There is no explaining that...I know a whole new topic.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Numerous things have been offered as evidence
Not to me they haven't. Much less so by you. If you have any then by all means offer them.

Quote:
But personally, and I do not mean anything by it, I don't believe all of us are meant to know God.
Oh goodie. Another cop out. On the other thread you tried to explain away the lack of evidence by declaring it was all too complex for us. Now you are explaining it away by suggesting some people simply are not "meant" to get it.

You really do have an impressive array of excuses for why your claims are unsubstantiated. Of course it is not that you have no evidence.... you have loads..... it is just too complicated for me or I am simply not MEANT to get it.

Baloney.

Quote:
Phychic powers for one. Those people who work for the police for example. There is no explaining that...I know a whole new topic.
Yes, there is no explaining why the police would waste good time, resources and money on paying people who have no documented or evidenced abilities to do anything at all. Except perhaps that they too have been fooled. Police are people too and are no less prone to error and believing nonsense than the common man.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
The same methods and argument still apply. If you can't produce some pretty convincing and soundly based evidence for God - claims, it does not deserve believing. The absence of evidence is not as good as evidence against but it is is significant where strong evidence should surely be there.

Where is it? Produce it and make it stick or you have no case and the god -theory is disproven, or at least proven not worthy of belief.

Evolution theory however has a shedload of evidence and the evidence against does not stack up. What conclusion should any rational person come to?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

Yes, there is no explaining why the police would waste good time, resources and money on paying people who have no documented or evidenced abilities to do anything at all. Except perhaps that they too have been fooled. Police are people too and are no less prone to error and believing nonsense than the common man.
Are you going to argue everything. Maybe you need to get away from the computer for a while. These phychics have helped with many police investigations over the years. And no documented proof does not deny their ability.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The same methods and argument still apply. If you can't produce some pretty convincing and soundly based evidence for God - claims, it does not deserve believing. The absence of evidence is not as good as evidence against but it is is significant where strong evidence should surely be there.

Where is it? Produce it and make it stick or you have no case and the god -theory is disproven, or at least proven not worthy of belief.

Evolution theory however has a shedload of evidence and the evidence against does not stack up. What conclusion should any rational person come to?
I guess you have to make your own decisions.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Are you going to argue everything. Maybe you need to get away from the computer for a while.
And maybe you need to stick to the topics of the thread. Address the post not the poster. If you have an issue with my posts then simply do not reply to them. Easy. However this is a discussion and debate forum so its pretty silly to act surprised that I would discuss and debate. Would you go to a zoo and act surprised that people are looking at animals? Its what they are there for.

Also note you have replied to my posts as much as I have replied to yours. So perhaps you need to take your own advice rather than dish it out to people who do not want it, nor see you as a valid source of good advice at all?

Quote:
These phychics have helped with many police investigations over the years
Says you. Evidence please. I am not going to believe these people helped anyone with anything solely on your word alone.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
I guess you have to make your own decisions.
It isn't my decision but a matter of the correct method of argument and grammar of correctly presenting evidence. If you don't agree with that then you are arguing pointlessly and at random.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Default How it's NOT done.

Quote:
Note: strong quantitative support is not evidence. It is the same as saying there is evidence of God's existence but no scientific proof. And we all know how the atheists feel about "evidence"

In evolutionary biology, a group of organisms share common descent if they have a common ancestor. There is strong quantitative support for the theory that all living organisms on Earth are descended from a common ancestor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn™
You truly are one of the most slippery characters to ever disgrace these pages. You deflect, revise the argument, change the topic, admonish the poster who asked you a question, and then slither away!. You do an admirable rendition of a squid, who are masters of sneaking past pretty much every obstacle or placed in their path. You do an admirable job of avoiding those little facts that make short work of your "argument".

OK: so be it. You have nothing of true value to this debate. You have quite simply made your mind up and nothing, no amount of solid evidence, facts or even positive predictable outcomes carefully and exactingly made, as KJC noted, BEFORE the test, will have an effet on you because you require a belief in God in order to stay functionally & psychologically intact.

You are thus a loser in that you are not free to examine anything else in this world except what you've been allowed to believe. And such a shallow, narrow and stagnant pond of murk that is!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
Hardly. Another dodge. It's about interpretation of history and ancestry, not what actually happoened or was attributed, but rather what the illiterates of those long-ago millenia, frightened by their own shadows, (not to mention the now-established facts about how the universe and physics and biology work) decided to write it down as some sort of inviolate trust. (See: bible, KJV)

But now we've come to understand it a lot better, but you won't be swayed from those bronze-age interpretations. Nosirree! Not you!

OK: So be it: next time you hear thunder and see lighting, you'd best duck because it's absolutely God throwing spears at sinners!
Quote:
Numerous things have been offered as evidence but it is still up to the individual listening to make their own decisions. I think so many like yourself are looking for answers because you continue to show yourself on a forum thread like this.

But personally, and I do not mean anything by it, I don't believe all of us are meant to know God. I don't mean any disrespect or anything like that, but maybe some scientists do their best work because they are devout atheists and are searching for specific scientific answers. But some thing will illude a scientist like that. Phychic powers for one. Those people who work for the police for example. There is no explaining that...I know a whole new topic.
Answer. All the scientists I know and work with (which has been quite a lot over my long professional career) are carefully considered and now-confirmed atheists who only became so [if they, like me, started out as Christians..] after, not before, they carefully studied the transient, illiterate and flimsy evidence (as it's so errantly called..) that supported a God-entity story.

Thus they are not influenced a-priori as to the conclusions you suggest they are predisposed to find. That's strictly the purview of Christians like you, in fact! Placing the God Cart in front of whatever you think you witnessed, with no other explanation or possibilities allowed, no matter how obvious and predicted. A very compelling process indeed!

You follow the smelly lead of so many Christians in painting all atheists with the same brush, simultaneously calling atheism a religion, and other indicators of a lazy parrot-head mind. This is hardly how we came to our conclusions, but you've also shown you do not have the facility to understand the methods and conclusionary principles of science. Rather, you obviously and demonstrably prefer to denigrate science and call our determinations and personal philosophies flawed in some way.

Quote:
Quote:
Are you going to argue everything. Maybe you need to get away from the computer for a while. These phychics have helped with many police investigations over the years. And no documented proof does not deny their ability.
It's pretty easy to argue everything you post, VD. You keep changing the subject, deflecting the questions and coming up with your own personal "feelings-based" conclusions.

Hardly the stuff of an intense and honest debate. That process is not your intellectual forté, obviously. You're an old-school "yowler and out-shouter" type. OK then! Go for it! and remember CLint's words, which generously apply to you for certain:

"A man's got to know his limitations!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality