Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I can't say I've ever heard a rationally-minded adult claim that science has all the answers. Over-zealous teenage atheists, maybe.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,900 times
Quote:
I can't say I've ever heard a rationally-minded adult claim that science has all the answers. Over-zealous teenage atheists, maybe.
Or more accurately, put up as straw men by theists. I have yet to read that claim from an atheist, over-zealous or not. Have you?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,719,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Cynicism is the true weapon of every scientist.. thanks for demonstrating it so well.. KCfromNC
Healthy skepticism is a gift, not a disease. Unless you ask a used car salesman or a politician, I guess.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,719,608 times
Quote:
Religion produces heart and happiness.. I see in your cynicism.. your missing both..
Your mind reading skills leave much to be desired. Don't quit your day job.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,753,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Or more accurately, put up as straw men by theists. I have yet to read that claim from an atheist, over-zealous or not. Have you?
Actually I haven't, either. I imagine someone has said it at some point in history, but anyone with even the most basic understanding of science in general surely wouldn't make that claim.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Actually I haven't, either. I imagine someone has said it at some point in history, but anyone with even the most basic understanding of science in general surely wouldn't make that claim.
Quite true and kudos for seeing it. It is only ever used by religious apologists in various contexts with the idea of showing that there are enough unknown areas for a god to be possible - the 'gaps for God'. There is also the argument that arguments can later on be overturned - say that it is argued soundly that the massacre at Bethlehem cannot have happened. It can be argued that, for all we know, some papyrus could turn up with an independent source validating that event. They you get this argument that atheists/scientists don't know everything recast as 'You atheists think you know everything (but you don't)'

Since science is really the only valid source of data, we of course refer to it but the religious prefer to take religious sources as authority and that simply isn't valid - if one accepts that science is. Another reason why atheists are witted as constantly holding up science as the final authority. Even accusations of worshipping it, science being ou 'religion' and Darwin as a sort of prophet and Dawkins his High priest. This is of course a hoot and rather reflecting that some theists cannot look at the matter without supposing that we reason the same way they do - faith in an Authority.

In fact scientists are the fiercest critics of scientific claims -which is why they are the best source. Atheists too consider it important to them that their beliefs should be based on the best evidence.

Well, I don't want to go on too long, but I am aware of this accusation and where it comes from and why it is - as stargoat says - a bit of a strawman.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM

775 posts, read 741,774 times
I hope you're trolling.

Quote:
Yes, exactly so why do you science religious types.. always use cynicism as a weapon? (here their cult leader/hero didn't! )
Ad hominem. Unlike religion, Science focuses on finding the truth, not on what feels right. Sometimes the answers are cynical, sometimes they are optimistic, but that's wholly unrelated to the truth.

Quote:
You have to remember I believe in a balance.. a wholeness
Golden Mean Fallacy.

Quote:
So I think science is very useful.. but it doesn't make you happy.. especially if it's your religion!
Really? Do you have evidence to support this?

Quote:
Science fanboys or science religions boys.. are much like apple vs. smartphone boys.. or apple vs. microsoft.. or xbox360 vs. ps3.. they take a side fight viciously.. and have no balance no openness to both ideas..
Except that Science has saved billions of lives and without it, modern society would not have been possible. Science is the more effective path because it works. Ten thousand years of human civilization have proven it.

Quote:
I said above science is in some respects a religion.. and here I've pointed it out..
Religion is based on faith. Science is based on empirical data. How is Science a faith, other than your say-so?

Quote:
The truth is scientists can observe the universe.. but they don't know how it REALLY works.. they don't know why things work the way they do.. and they can study until there blue in the face and they won't figure much out (they'll figure out some) without a balance and a wholeness perspective.. which comes from that other half of the brain..
They don't know how it really works? And clergymen do? What evidence did clergymen use to come up with how the universe "REALLY" works?

Quote:
There is already in existence a lot of science to prove the other half.. it's just not talked about.. and religious science fanboys (new term I trademarked ) would never even read about it.. cause 99% of them have never read a scientific paper in their life!
Given that a overwhelming majority of real scientists are significantly less religious than the general populace?

Quote:
Since you bring up the topic of disease
Your lack of appreciation for the millions of lives (and, by statistics, probably your own) saved by modern medicine is disgusting.

Quote:
Science is currently locked in a battle with all these diseases.. every day they create more CURES for new diseases that keep cropping up.. but at the CORE of the issue.. they have no idea what CREATES disease.. they know about dna.. and swine flu and other weird things.. but they don't know why new DISEASES really keep being created..
ROFLAMO! Do you think I can't see through your shameless bluff? Science has given us a greater understanding of "the CORE of the issue" than religion ever has.

Oh, wait, if religion has some advantage over science in treating disease, why were the dark ages full of infant mortailities and deaths from the common cold?

Quote:
There locked in a war you can't even win.. cause they'll fix cancer and "vicious swine flu malaria b type variant 2" will spring up the next day..
Your evidence? Or are you just blabbing about issues way outside your scope?

Quote:
To say that science has all the answers.. is very naive..
Since this is a strawman, your understanding of logic is very naive.

Quote:
Go into your house.. look at all your STUFF..

Are you happy?

(if so.. good for you)
Yes. Ergo, I win, and your proposition that Science does not improve human happiness fails.

Quote:
uhuh.. but science is technically just a magic trick lol
Says who? You?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,236,793 times
TO mOCK sCIENCE...Science only observes what is already there, and theorizes on the subject being studied.
The mathamatical aspects are already or were made into all for all to express all...and a somewhat intelligent mind needs to be present to understand those concepts that were already in play before Humans were made.

Who put the Mathimatical codex into the universe?....Science does not have an answer...but understands it some what because they are somewhat intelligent enough to see it...they did not make it, nor do they understand it fully...

So something by far more intelligent has done this to a exptreme degree of unity gain and or perfection....why?...for Us to be human in!...eventually!...but strong enough to endure Humanunkind for a time...a double time...and a half a time....eh?

Yep Science is weaker than what Made the Universe and the Earth...And in studying this over millenia...it shows that Intelligence is the language needed to decode what is....and what is is so complex, science still has not figured it out completely or accurately...to any degree of truth....So they use the theory word...to keep it from falling into the LYING BOX...and have people believe somewhat...or completely in the theory...as a theory is not truth nor Lie....it is easier to believe in....as there is no wrong answer present....So they say,

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Why would anybody need to put mathematical codes into anything? Can you tell me what mathematics are made of? If not, you must accept that mathematics were potentially always there without needing to be 'made'.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Both sides claim to have it all, both sides have some of it and neither side has all of it.

Science and religion are equal in that respect but both perspectives are simply different means to seek the truth, not the truth itself.

People who enjoy looking back to laugh at those working their way up the trail behind them should turn around... they still have an entire mountain to climb before they reach the summit themselves, and they are not on the only trail to the top.

Just a thought...
Well, as Hugh Nibley (probably the greatest LDS scholar who has ever lived) once noted: The first rule of scholarship [is]: You are never playing with a full deck. You never know how much evidence you may be missing, what it is, or where it is hiding. What counters that and saves the day for scholarship is what I have called the "Gas Law of Learning," namely, that any amount of knowledge, no matter how small, will fill any vacuum of ignorance, no matter how large. He who knows one or two facts can honestly claim to know at least something about a subject, and nobody knows everything. So it is with the schoolmen who make the rules and move the goalposts."

Note: He was not speaking strictly of science, but of religion, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality