Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
"Best." Based on what? I looked at a list of theleast religious compared on a scale of top countries. France, Sweden, Austria, Canada, and the like. The thing is, these are based on EU sensibilities on what is considered best.

Sweden has a rape problem due to a certain immigrant issue. Canada is the home of Monsanto and its seed modification empire. Germany recovered from Nazi history only to lose its national identity to EU and its regulation. Same with Austria. What are you basing this "greatness" on?

Religion (most of it) produces social stability, family structure, work ethic, and moral values. Here's the thing. You have an apples and oranges analogy, and no-correlation events, and youre trying to insert a correlation in. Specifically, a negative correlation based on limited information. There are countries that are rich or poor, religious or non-religious.

China is fairly poor and mostly non-religious
Mexico is poor and most people are Catholic
US and UK atre semi-religious and extremely okay countries to live in.
Ireland is religious and I felt better visiting than UK
South Africa is semi-religious, but it was until recently wrecked by apartheid.

Just the countries I've visited. They were all over the place. It's not connection at all. The one connection is that areas where religion is OUTLAWED tends to be places that interfere with peoples private life (thats what religion is, private life). Places that interfere with peoples private life tend to be bad. Like, Kim Jong Il bad.
Monsanto is headquartered in the Greater Saint Louis Missouri area which is nit part of Canada. Plus no idea how you can even consider the existence of one multinational corporation in determining if one country is better than another. In reading up on rape in Sweden, the immigrant factor may or may not be true and a
has been exploited for right wing political ends.

And the US is much more religious than other western democracies. In Canada for example it is very rare for a politician to even mention their religious beliefs during an election. You are willing to put non religious qualities as products of religion when they suit you.

I am not arguing one way or the other, just requesting that the arguments are accurate. Now that you know that the US is more religious than Canada and has Monsanto will you now change your mind and stare that less religious Canada is better than the US? If not why even bring up that corporation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 04:07 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
You calling least religious countries better than more religious countries>
Is society is better since more and more people are lonely living in an advanced country?
Is society is better since so many people do not know their neighbours?
Is society is better since the divorce rate is more than 50%?
Is society is better since so many elderly people are abandoned by family members?
Is society is better since people spend more time in front of the computer instead of spending time with other people?

Old 12-05-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Is society is better since more and more people are lonely living in an advanced country?
Is society is better since so many elderly people are abandoned by family members?
Is society is better since people spend more time in front of the computer instead of spending time with other people?
And do you have any evidence that the above is more prevalent in countries like Canada or most of Western Europe compare to the USA and other countries with a greater mount of religion? Do 6ou have any evidence that people d9 not know their neighbors due to lack of religion? I thought that the folks living in Havana knew their neighbors very well, sitting on the steps chatting or having a game of chess. It was more prevalent in Havana than any American or Canadian city I have been to. Are the elderly more likely to ba abandoned in China, Canada, Cuba or Denmark than the US? Do only non religious people sit in front of their computers.

If only talking about the US you might want to consider the impact of the population needing to be more transit in order to find employment and being in large centre's rather than religion as a major player in some of theses changes. And I have never understood why women staying in unhappy or abusive situations is a good thing. I have known many who have had long and happy second marrages, you might think it best for them to have stuck it out and made due with an unhappy one or that a person's happiness or fulfillment mean nothing but I disagree. And I am still on my first marrage coming up to 42 years together.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And do you have any evidence that the above is more prevalent in countries like Canada or most of Western Europe compare to the USA and other countries with a greater mount of religion? Do 6ou have any evidence that people d9 not know their neighbors due to lack of religion? I thought that the folks living in Havana knew their neighbors very well, sitting on the steps chatting or having a game of chess. It was more prevalent in Havana than any American or Canadian city I have been to. Are the elderly more likely to ba abandoned in China, Canada, Cuba or Denmark than the US? Do only non religious people sit in front of their computers.

If only talking about the US you might want to consider the impact of the population needing to be more transit in order to find employment and being in large centre's rather than religion as a major player in some of theses changes. And I have never understood why women staying in unhappy or abusive situations is a good thing. I have known many who have had long and happy second marrages, you might think it best for them to have stuck it out and made due with an unhappy one or that a person's happiness or fulfillment mean nothing but I disagree. And I am still on my first marrage coming up to 42 years together.
FYI I do not live in the USA and never been to the USA. I live in a so called advanced country and yes loneliness is a big issue.

Mother Teressa who worked most of her life in third world countries have stated: “The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.”
She also stated:

“The greatest disease in the West today is not TB or leprosy; it is being unwanted, unloved, and uncared for. We can cure physical diseases with medicine, but the only cure for loneliness, despair, and hopelessness is love. There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bread but there are many more dying for a little love. The poverty in the West is a different kind of poverty -- it is not only a poverty of loneliness but also of spirituality. There's a hunger for love, as there is a hunger for God.”

Also generally when Europe was much less secular the birth rate was really high, and now most European countries the birth rate is below replacement level. To solve this problem European countries have an extensive immigration program and have had so for quite a number of decades. Even with Germany with its high immigration levels its population will continue to decline. With it there is a much bigger increase in elderly people in future time compared to younger people. It will certainly put financial strains in Western nations in the coming years.

Yet just because a society is considered better, does not mean the betterment of all of society.

Also among the least religious countries in the world, the suicide rates are among the highest.

Last edited by other99; 12-05-2016 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Monsanto is headquartered in the Greater Saint Louis Missouri area which is nit part of Canada. Plus no idea how you can even consider the existence of one multinational corporation in determining if one country is better than another. In reading up on rape in Sweden, the immigrant factor may or may not be true and a
has been exploited for right wing political ends.

And the US is much more religious than other western democracies. In Canada for example it is very rare for a politician to even mention their religious beliefs during an election. You are willing to put non religious qualities as products of religion when they suit you.

I am not arguing one way or the other, just requesting that the arguments are accurate. Now that you know that the US is more religious than Canada and has Monsanto will you now change your mind and stare that less religious Canada is better than the US? If not why even bring up that corporation?
I'm not sure, but I believe the very sterility seed patent that Monsanto uses to completely govern crops was designed in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden

Wikipedia is peer-reviewed. This means to avoid edit wars, it must be at least somewhat researched.

Quote:
Ever since the collation of crime statistics was initiated by the Council of Europe, Sweden has had the highest number of registered rape offences in Europe by a considerable extent. In 1996, Sweden registered almost three times the average number of rape offences registered in 35 European countries.
Quote:
three times the average number of rape offences
Quote:
three times
No. I won't change my mind, even assuming they have no GMO ever (I highly doubt). Because having been to Canada, they still have impossible to understand gas prices, a nanny state, and milk in a bag.

Milk in a bag is unacceptable.

Quote:
This, full stop.

Since the 50s, when my parents talked about their generation, to the 80s when my generation started, to today, this has exactly been the result of so called "advancement." Also, I'm still waiting for my hoverboard. A real one.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I'm not sure, but I believe the very sterility seed patent that Monsanto uses to completely govern crops was designed in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden

Wikipedia is peer-reviewed. This means to avoid edit wars, it must be at least somewhat researched.

No. I won't change my mind, even assuming they have no GMO ever (I highly doubt). Because having been to Canada, they still have impossible to understand gas prices, a nanny state, and milk in a bag.

Milk in a bag is unacceptable.

This, full stop.

Since the 50s, when my parents talked about their generation, to the 80s when my generation started, to today, this has exactly been the result of so called "advancement." Also, I'm still waiting for my hoverboard. A real one.
I remember milk in a bag, back in the sixties but not since in the part of Canada I live in. I also remember milk being delivered in glass bottles being delivered by horse door to door and the summer when the milk came straight from the cow. This must be a joke if you judge a country by its milk containers and cannot judge the price of gasoline in the measure used by most of the world. Even if we still sold it in gallons, it would be different size gallons than used in the States so you still would be none the wiser. I guess as a Canadian I should apologize that everything in Canada is not exactly like it is where you live.

As far as Monsanto goes I am sure they have research centre's throughout the world. Glad that your trip to Canada gave you all the insight you will ever need to know this large country. And I never said there was no GMO in Canada and I am well familiar with David Suzuiki.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
I remember milk in a bag, back in the sixties but not since in the part of Canada I live in. I also remember milk being delivered in glass bottles being delivered by horse door to door and the summer when the milk came straight from the cow. This must be a joke if you judge a country by its milk containers and cannot judge the price of gasoline in the measure used by most of the world. Even if we still sold it in gallons, it would be different size gallons than used in the States so you still would be none the wiser. I guess as a Canadian I should apologize that everything in Canada is not exactly like it is where you live.

As far as Monsanto goes I am sure they have research centre's throughout the world. Glad that your trip to Canada gave you all the insight you will ever need to know this large country. And I never said there was no GMO in Canada and I am well familiar with David Suzuiki.
I buy my milk in bags and have, quite happily and healthily, for many decades.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I buy my milk in bags and have, quite happily and healthily, for many decades.
But you live in Ontario .

I am still puzzled by the buying gasoline thing, I have bought gas by the imperial gallon before we converted to metric, bought in American gallons with American money and also in liters with British pounds and Icelandic Kronos without once being confused by it.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
FYI I do not live in the USA and never been to the USA.
Which county do you live in?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
...and these things do not happen in the most religious country on the planet...the USA??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality