Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actually I can believe more in the great flood simply because of the misinterptation. Noah gathered up two of all of the animals IN THAT AREA of the world which is feasible considering about over 90% of the world had not been discovered yet. Has it ever occured to anyone that the flood could have been local?
That is not what the Bible says. It's depicted in the Bible as a world wide flood not a local one. You can't pick and choose what happen and what didn't. It's either the word of God or it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

Why not? Every one in my family had dark hair and brown eyes, but I was born a blue eyed blond. My mother had to endure a lot of mail man jokes in the day, but there is no doubt that I am my parent's natural born son. I married an Asian but our children look caucasian, not mixed. My daughter married a man who is black. When/if they have children, the child may appear white, black, asian, or mixed. That's how it works. Where did Esau's red hair come from? It just happens.
You may want to read up on genetics. Nothing just happens.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
That is not what the Bible says. It's depicted in the Bible as a world wide flood not a local one. You can't pick and choose what happen and what didn't. It's either the word of God or it's not.
Thats the probelm why so many people are turned off from the Bible and Christianity itself, you look at it word for word and don't use any common sense. The Bible is written by man of his intepretation of what God said and did. How can a man say that the whole world was flooded and he has never seen it? His world would only consist of what he has seen or already knows. So if you lived on a large island all of your life and had no knowledge of anything outside of it and it floods, would'nt you think that the whole world flooded?

This would also explain how Noah was able to gather two of every animal in the (his) world. Think about this, how long do you think that a polar bear or an elephant would take to get to the middle east from their respective climates? Even the dimensions of the ark could not have held every species of animal in the world. Thats why it makes sense that it was a great local flood. Anything else makes it seem like a tale to tell your children.

To top it all off I'm not even altering the word of God, but only putting it in line with reality.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
That is not how the biblical account is written. If it was local as you infer, why then has the story never been redacted or updated as such? Even in a local flood, all the logistics associated to the building of the ark by and unskilled old guy still has you dipping your hand in the box labelled "appeal to magic".

The Bible is foremost written by man told from another man and each time that it passed from one person to another and through faulty translation things are altered. Personally I believe that it did happen but not on the scale as many are lead to believe. As far as the actual construction is concerned, I had not dwelled that deeply into the story but It is possibly that he may have had help that was omitted from the original event. Who is to say that he did'nt and that person(s) was either paid to help and was not invited on the ark or that some folks helped and died off before the actual event happened.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Thats the probelm why so many people are turned off from the Bible and Christianity itself, you look at it word for word and don't use any common sense. The Bible is written by man of his intepretation of what God said and did. How can a man say that the whole world was flooded and he has never seen it? His world would only consist of what he has seen or already knows. So if you lived on a large island all of your life and had no knowledge of anything outside of it and it floods, would'nt you think that the whole world flooded?

This would also explain how Noah was able to gather two of every animal in the (his) world. Think about this, how long do you think that a polar bear or an elephant would take to get to the middle east from their respective climates? Even the dimensions of the ark could not have held every species of animal in the world. Thats why it makes sense that it was a great local flood. Anything else makes it seem like a tale to tell your children.

To top it all off I'm not even altering the word of God, but only putting it in line with reality.
So then what DO we take from the story as fact? Did God kill everyone but Noah's family with just a local flood? Which was the point of the flood in the first place. If God didn't wipe out human wickedness with the flood then what was the point?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
The Bible is foremost written by man told from another man and each time that it passed from one person to another and through faulty translation things are altered. Personally I believe that it did happen but not on the scale as many are lead to believe. As far as the actual construction is concerned, I had not dwelled that deeply into the story but It is possibly that he may have had help that was omitted from the original event. Who is to say that he did'nt and that person(s) was either paid to help and was not invited on the ark or that some folks helped and died off before the actual event happened.
God said nothing. The flood is a rip off of the Epic of Gilgamesh. It predates the Hebrew version and we have clay tablets older than the biblical time line. By you own admission, it is the words of men and nothing else.

The size of the boat exceeds the maximum for wooden boats and even the one in Holland which is half scale, floats on a barge and has tons of steel in it. The ark would never be sea worthy and scale upping does not work. This has been pointed out where a paper boat supports a scaled man weight. Up scaled the experiment fails. I think the History Channel or Nat Geo did a documentary on it.

EVERYTHING associated to the logistics of the ark fails no matter the number of animals allegedly rescued. They were, according to the myth, at sea for a year.

All you are left with is an appeal to magic. It never happened.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
I have some interesting questions if you believe the Adam & Eve story literally. I have heard many say that this is a a story that you should not take literally but if you argue like that then you can ask yourself if you should take any part of the bible literally meaning the entire book is made up horse****. That's not my question but for people who believe it literally (if there are any still out there).

1. There are different ethnicities of humans on this earth (Asian, African, Native people, aborigines etc).
2. Some people believe that all Humans started with Adam & Eve
3. Adam & Eve must have belonged to one of these ethnicities Let's just to make it an example say that they were white.
4 Adam & Eve must have lived somewhere on this earth and the place should be in present day "middle east" but that is not the point.
5. If Adam & Eve were white they must have had white children
6. In Asia we have people with Asian ethnicity, In Europe we have people of white ethnicity, In Africa we have people of African ethnicity and so on. They look a little different from each other.

Questions
1. If Adam & Eve were white and all people started with Adam & Eve how can there be people of different ethnicity. Did Adam & Eve or their descendants have children of other ethnicity than their own.
2. How did people of different ethnicity end up where they are today
-Did Adam & Eve or their descendants have children of different ethnicity in the original place where they were born in present day Middle east and after that the children who were of Asian ethnicity moved to Asia, the children of African ethnicity moved to Africa, children of Native ethnicity moved to North America from the Middle east where they were born.
-or, Did Adam & Eve or their decadents who were of white ethnicity, travel to Asia for example and when they got there and had a child it would be of Asian ethnicity even though the parents were white.

The answer to the different ethnicity question is of course thru evolution but I would love to hear the answer from someone who believes in the Adam & Eve story literally.
Sheer genius, johnsweeting. Not only did you succeed in getting most Christians to admit that the story of Adam and Eve didn't likely literally happen, but you were able to force some into a corner having to try to explain how individual races could evolve over only 6000 years, what some believe is the approximate biblical age of the Earth.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times
Can I just contribute to the natural selection vs evolution debate. Natural selection means that desirable traits thrive in a given environment that would not necessarily be desirable in another environment. Now, evolution is not the presence of a mutation, it is merely a species adapting to its environment in order to have the best chance of survival for not only themselves but their offspring. Natural selection is evolution because when the less desirable traits die off, the desirable traits are left to procreate and within a few generations you are left with a population that is between 25-33% undesirable with the desired traits being the majority. The desired trait also becomes more pronounced because of the frequency in which it shows up in the gene pool.

Ex- on an island with 50 people, half blue eyed and half brown eyed, with a blue eye eating monster, what is the likelihood of there being an abundance of blueeyed people, 2 generations from now? Not very likely. So in a few generations, only the people who are passing on brown eyed genes are procreating because of choice or circumstance (who makes a baby just for a monster to eat it?).

Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
So then what DO we take from the story as fact? Did God kill everyone but Noah's family with just a local flood? Which was the point of the flood in the first place. If God didn't wipe out human wickedness with the flood then what was the point?
It still does not mean that it was not local. FYI being "local" would mean a certain area was flooded which possibly could have wiped out everyone in that part of the world.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
God said nothing. The flood is a rip off of the Epic of Gilgamesh. It predates the Hebrew version and we have clay tablets older than the biblical time line. By you own admission, it is the words of men and nothing else.

The size of the boat exceeds the maximum for wooden boats and even the one in Holland which is half scale, floats on a barge and has tons of steel in it. The ark would never be sea worthy and scale upping does not work. This has been pointed out where a paper boat supports a scaled man weight. Up scaled the experiment fails. I think the History Channel or Nat Geo did a documentary on it.

EVERYTHING associated to the logistics of the ark fails no matter the number of animals allegedly rescued. They were, according to the myth, at sea for a year.

All you are left with is an appeal to magic. It never happened.
I will not totally discount anything that is written by man. Far as I'm concerned the Ark could have been half of the size written and contained only 30 animals but that does not totally discount that the event ever happened only the way that it was described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality