Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
On the other hand, religion was the direct cause of 9/11.
You gotta be kidding me!!!

I agree that religion is harmful and all that and it has done a LOT of terrible things but 9/11 is NOT one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I have found that "religion" is only harmful if:

It is not kept personal (between you & God/Source/Universal Consciousness/Buddah/Tao, etc...), as it should be
It is claimed to be the only TRUTH...which, in turn, makes all other "religions" false
It excludes, judges or shuns other people because they hold different "religious" beliefs
The adherents attempt to foist their particular beliefs on the rest of the population
AND
They don't actually live the "Golden Rule"...which is found in one form or another in ALL "religions"

Yep. I can buy that.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
As soon as you called yourself an "atheist" you joined a religion. You're committed to an "ism" you can't prove and usually for most atheists you've committed yourself to certain beliefs in opposition to others. When you're sick of conflict drop all the "isms" and label yourself a human.

Where do I pray? :-)

Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 PM

344 posts, read 396,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
yet, those atheists are rather aggressive in proving that their "nonbelief" is the true philosophy.
I know what you are seeing. You are seeing a number of atheists who are under the opinion that both their "nonbelief", and also themselves, deserve just as much respect and consideration as any theist, and his theistic belief. And those atheists are working towards that end.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
I know what you are seeing. You are seeing a number of atheists who are under the opinion that both their "nonbelief", and also themselves, deserve just as much respect and consideration as any theist, and his theistic belief. And those atheists are working towards that end.
I'm seeing a bunch of people that self-identify according to their non-belief, who then go to a lot of effort to tell the world that they don't believe. Honestly....seems kind of silly to me.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
This has been debated ad nauseum. Communism, with atheism as its core belief, is responsible for tens of millions of deaths in the last 100 years. So yea....people do kill because atheism tells them to.
Atheism is the core belief of communism? You may want to consider trying to become a bit knowledgeable in the subject. It is an economic theory.

Marxism - the economic and political theories of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels that hold that human actions and institutions are economically determined and that class struggle is needed to create historical change and that capitalism will ultimately be superseded by communism.
Source: Marxist Theory - definition of Marxist Theory by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
I'm seeing a bunch of people that self-identify according to their non-belief, who then go to a lot of effort to tell the world that they don't believe. Honestly....seems kind of silly to me.
It is because of people like you who want everyone to listen to your religious beliefs. I spend three-four months each year in the city of Shanghai. In that environment, I also never think about any Gods or my lack of belief in them.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM

344 posts, read 396,102 times
Quote:
Many atheists speak out because they are a minority that suffers from social disapproval. There are still other atheists that see such things like gay and women's rights being dismissed based on religious beliefs, along with a number of other religion-based problems.

It's a little like a room with 50 people, 5 non-smokers, and 45 smokers. The 5 non-smokers are critical of the unhealthy air quality in the room, while the smokers think the air quality is just find and the non-smokers are just causing trouble with their complaining.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
While I think I can understand why some people view all religion is harmful.

But, I think the it can be any large organization has the potential to be so.

I've seen acts of violence from many organizations.

Greenpeace

PETA

The Russian communist party

The Chinese communist party

The German Nazi Party

KKK

The Weathermen

The SLA

Various worker's Unions

Anytime you get a large unified group, the potential for harm is there. It only takes having a charismatic leader and a perceived threat. The threat need not be real, nobody is going to check out the facts.

The problem is not religion or any organization, it is that too many of us human's are sheeple who panic when told, by a Charismatic Leader,"THEY" are out to destroy us. The sheeple then unify into a controlled Anarchy that needs to destroy "THEM" before "THEY" destroy "US"

Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
Quote:
I am an atheist. I've been an atheist for essentially my entire adult life. I would like to think that I am an objective person. In fact, I think that is one of the qualities helpful, if not required, to be an atheist. One of the last quandaries I have been wrestling with concerning organized religion is On the global scale, is religion more damaging than it is beneficial? I have tried to examine this question objectively.

I think looking at selected areas, and even at the individual level, religion can be more beneficial than it is damaging, but I've decided that overall, religion does more harm than good. I think that almost all religions ultimately are more harmful than they are helpful, just to different degrees.

I look at a young couple who love each other but decide their relationship cannot withstand their religious differences. Normal behavior, wants, even manners of dress are often restricted or forbidden, based on religious beliefs. There are many places where women have almost no human rights and are even forced to be subservient, all because of some religious practices. There is of course huge examples where religion does mass harm, such as 9/11.

Many people feel an inner calm and other positive feelings that they attribute to their religious beliefs. Objectively speaking, I don't think these things overcome the downside of religion. Point is; I have concluded that religion does more harm than good, and in a sense put the final nail in the coffin concerning my negative opinion of organized religion.
More people have been killed in the name of religion than for any other cause. Unfortunately, everyone wants to blame the 'other' religions for being violent, controlling and hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality