Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM

775 posts, read 740,891 times

Advertisements

...is when there is a massive tragedy, thousands of people die, and a lone survivor somehow manages to survive. Of course, the survivor proceeds to thank God for this incredible miracle, and the media proceeds to follow him/her in praising the Almighty Lord for his wonderful act of kindness.

Yeah Moderator cut: edit what about the 2000 others who died horrible deaths? Why did God not save them? Were you more "worthy" of life than they were? How is it a miracle that one person out of thousands survived a tragedy? Is that not simple probability? Is that not a tragedy?

Why didn't God prevent the tragedy in the first place? Oh, right, it's not his job to intervene (even though we would condemn a mortal who did not try to save a life; but an omnipotent being is held to lower standards), and we shouldn't blame him for our own problems, blah blah blah. But of course, whenever anything good happens, it must be because of God, and we must give him praise, right?
  • Bad occurrences are the result of human error, original sin, or the devil.
  • Good occurrences are the result of God.
Such a phenomena reminds me of a documentary I watched about a humanitarian surgeon and a news crew that entered North Korea to help cure a disease curing blindness and secretly taped the experience. When the North Koreans are cured, they immediately thank their Dear Leader for the works of the doctor. Apparently, Kim Jong Il receives none of the blame for his country's mess (read: God receives no blame for the imperfect universe because he "acts in mysterious ways"), but receives credit for every kernel of good...the good of preventing the bad he created. Of course, nobody thanks the doctor, just like how religious Moderator cut: edit credit their prayers, and not modern medical science, with their victories over cancer.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-25-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM

476 posts, read 466,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
...is when there is a massive tragedy, thousands of people die, and a lone survivor somehow manages to survive. Of course, the survivor proceeds to thank God for this incredible miracle, and the media proceeds to follow him/her in praising the Almighty Lord for his wonderful act of kindness.

Yeah you sick bastard, what about the 2000 others who died horrible deaths? Why did God not save them? Were you more "worthy" of life than they were? How is it a miracle that one person out of thousands survived a tragedy? Is that not simple probability? Is that not a tragedy?

Why didn't God prevent the tragedy in the first place? Oh, right, it's not his job to intervene (even though we would condemn a mortal who did not try to save a life; but an omnipotent being is held to lower standards), and we shouldn't blame him for our own problems, blah blah blah. But of course, whenever anything good happens, it must be because of God, and we must give him praise, right?
Such a phenomena reminds me of a documentary I watched about a humanitarian surgeon and a news crew that entered North Korea to help cure a disease curing blindness and secretly taped the experience. When the North Koreans are cured, they immediately thank their Dear Leader for the works of the doctor. Apparently, Kim Jong Il receives none of the blame for his country's mess (read: God receives no blame for the imperfect universe because he "acts in mysterious ways"), but receives credit for every kernel of good...the good of preventing the bad he created. Of course, nobody thanks the doctor, just like how religious nuts credit their prayers, and not modern medical science, with their victories over cancer.

So where do you draw the line? Say God prevents every crime, disease, tragedy from occuring. Then what? Well for one, we would never die so the world would have been overpopulated many moons ago with no resources left. We probably wouldn't exist now as a result.

Is He suppose to manipulate people's actions like a puppet master so we humans are incapable of inflicting emotional pain on someone? Should God zip your lip up if you try to gossip cuz gossip can be painful.

Then you would be pissed off because you don't have free will.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
So where do you draw the line? Say God prevents every crime, disease, tragedy from occuring. Then what?
Then everything would be perfect.

If Obama sits around his second term, Moderator cut: deleted and then says that he doesn't want to do "too much" to help Americans, what would you say?

Now; logically, a omnipotent being should be held to infinitely higher standards, correct?

Quote:
Well for one, we would never die so the world would have been overpopulated many moons ago with no resources left. We probably wouldn't exist now as a result.
I don't think you've given this enough thought. If God can prevent every crime, disease and tragedy from occurring, he could also deal with overpopulation and resource scarcity. This should, quite frankly, be obvious.

Quote:
Is He suppose to manipulate people's actions like a puppet master so we humans are incapable of inflicting emotional pain on someone? Should God zip your lip up if you try to gossip cuz gossip can be painful.
Actually, he programmed us with the biological desire to inflict pain (in certain circumstances), gossip, etc. God already programs us to feel aroused at an attractive person, jealousy, etc. Were you under the impression that he gave us "complete" free will?

Quote:
Then you would be pissed off because you don't have free will.
If God values free will over happiness, why does he order all non-believers to be killed in the Old Testament?

Why did he program us to sleepwalk, hallucinate and fall unconscious against our will?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-26-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Then everything would be perfect.

If Obama sits around his second term, Moderator cut: Orphaned and then says that he doesn't want to do "too much" to help Americans, what would you say?

Now; logically, a omnipotent being should be held to infinitely higher standards, correct?

I don't think you've given this enough thought. If God can prevent every crime, disease and tragedy from occurring, he could also deal with overpopulation and resource scarcity. This should, quite frankly, be obvious.

Actually, he programmed us with the biological desire to inflict pain (in certain circumstances), gossip, etc. God already programs us to feel aroused at an attractive person, jealousy, etc. Were you under the impression that he gave us "complete" free will?
so you actually like the idea of perfection? perfection would be a boring concept if you actually thought about it. this is coming from someone who has been through hell in a handbasket so while I agree that the world is a little Moderator cut: inappropriate language up in the fact that too much bad stuff can happen to people who aren't malicious, we need some of it to make a great balance. you can't have love without pain. you can't have happiness without sadness. you can't have light without dark. that's why I somewhat like having a range of emotions. it's good for the entertainment media too. can't have good tv or music without this range.
think about it if you always had what you had, how would you appreciate it? Paris Hilton is a great example of this. she's always been rich so as a result she's a pretty unappreciative person.

he may have programmed people to do certain things but there is a certain thing called self control. this is like saying alcoholics have no control over their actions because the drugs own them. no if you're doing bad things, it's on you. you can stop if you really want to.
but I agree it's not complete. I am not in control of my life. Moderator cut: inappropriate languagejust gets thrown at me and I can't do what I want. I care about my father even though I try my hardest not to.
basically you certainly can't change how you feel a lot of the time but you can control your actions.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-26-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
so you actually like the idea of perfection? perfection would be a boring concept if you actually thought about it.
You aren't thinking this through. Perfection excludes the possibility of feeling the emotion of boredom.

Quote:
this is coming from someone who has been through hell in a handbasket so while I agree that the world is a little Moderator cut: orphaned up in the fact that too much bad stuff can happen to people who aren't malicious, we need some of it to make a great balance.
So let me get this straight:

You believe that miscarriages, starvation, rape, murder, genocide, the Holocaust, 911 and torture are all POSITIVE GOODS to prevent "boredom"?

Quote:

you can't have love without pain. you can't have happiness without sadness. you can't have light without dark.
Interesting thing you missed: if God is omnipotent, then you can have love without pain, happiness without sadness, etc.

Quote:
think about it if you always had what you had, how would you appreciate it? Paris Hilton is a great example of this. she's always been rich so as a result she's a pretty unappreciative person.
Paris Hilton is not perfect. What made you think she was an applicable analogy?

Quote:

but I agree it's not complete. I am not in control of my life. Moderator cut: Orphaned just gets thrown at me and I can't do what I want. I care about my father even though I try my hardest not to.
Go on and be proud that you've overcome obstacles in life. God didn't help you at all. And you're far luckier than those who died at or before childbirth, and children starving in Africa. Does God do them justice by making their lives more "interesting"?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-26-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:

Yeah Moderator cut: edit what about the 2000 others who died horrible deaths? Why did God not save them? Were you more "worthy" of life than they were? How is it a miracle that one person out of thousands survived a tragedy? Is that not simple probability? Is that not a tragedy?

Such a phenomena reminds me of a documentary I watched about a humanitarian surgeon and a news crew that entered North Korea to help cure a disease curing blindness and secretly taped the experience. When the North Koreans are cured, they immediately thank their Dear Leader for the works of the doctor. Apparently, Kim Jong Il receives none of the blame for his country's mess (read: God receives no blame for the imperfect universe because he "acts in mysterious ways"), but receives credit for every kernel of good...the good of preventing the bad he created. Of course, nobody thanks the doctor, just like how religious Moderator cut: edit credit their prayers, and not modern medical science, with their victories over cancer.
Excuse me, Mr. Fan, sir, but I sure do hate to see you like this.
What if me and the boys were to.....?
Would that pep you up some?

Listen Sci Fi...try this--
Breeeeeeeath...innnnnnn...ouuuuuuut. Innnnnnn...ouuuuuuut.
Now...pour yourself a shot of Wild Turkey 101. Sip half of it.
Breath again.
Now sip the other half.
Breath again. Again.

Now...Try to clear your mind, and not agonize about stuff there is just about no chance you can do much of anything about.

The alternative: Sweat every issue and suffer everything you find displeasing to you...and live all stressed out and miserable.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

So you are ticked off for God doing a good thing for one person, but not everyone?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Excuse me, Mr. Fan, sir, but I sure do hate to see you like this.
What if me and the boys were to.....?
Would that pep you up some?

Listen Sci Fi...try this--
Breeeeeeeath...innnnnnn...ouuuuuuut. Innnnnnn...ouuuuuuut.
Now...pour yourself a shot of Wild Turkey 101. Sip half of it.
Breath again.
Now sip the other half.
Breath again. Again.

Now...Try to clear your mind, and not agonize about stuff there is just about no chance you can do much of anything about.

The alternative: Sweat every issue and suffer everything you find displeasing to you...and live all stressed out and miserable.
Ad hominem fallacy. And don't feel sorry for me; I'm enjoying this.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Here's a good example. Christians claim that God protected this child. The question is, why did he allow this to happen in the first place?

God Miraculously Protects a 1 Year-Old From Being Killed in a Violent Crash

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Ad hominem fallacy. And don't feel sorry for me; I'm enjoying this.
Hmmmmm...some of what you described happens every day, all over the world.

You said it, "really pisses you off".
Now you say you are, "enjoying this".

Well then...I guess some people actually enjoy being pissed off. Takes all kinds to make up the world.
So...have a blast being pissed off Man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality