Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times

Advertisements

Is there tension between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
No.

I have lived 67 years as an Atheist in America and our predominately Christian society has never caused me a problem or made me feel uncomfortable.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM

63,786 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
The objective evidence of conflict and confrontation would say . . . Yes. Freedom OF religion simply guarantees that the government can not prescribe a National religion that we all must adhere to. Those who want freedom FROM religion want all traces of religious expression eliminated from the public square because they do not want to be offended by them. Unfortunately, the First Amendment protects speech in the public square . . . something that has been under attack by the freedom FROM religion advocates.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The objective evidence of conflict and confrontation would say . . . Yes. Freedom OF religion simply guarantees that the government can not prescribe a National religion that we all must adhere to. Those who want freedom FROM religion want all traces of religious expression eliminated from the public square because they do not want to be offended by them. Unfortunately, the First Amendment protects speech in the public square . . . something that has been under attack by the freedom FROM religion advocates.
What a lot of horse hockey....Most atheists couldn't care less what the religious do as long as it doesn't intrude in their lives...

Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times

Spot on MysticPhd!! Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof. That means the US government cannot set up an "official state(federal or local) religion". And having a prayer at a school sporting event or other activity is a far cry from setting up an official state religion. The "separation of church and state" does NOT exist in our constitution but did in the constitution of the former USSR. The wall of separation was mentioned in a letter from Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Church. It shows you how many of our "intellectuals" are schooled today in constitutional law and content. This is scary. We have become the "United States of the Offended".

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
No.

I have lived 67 years as an Atheist in America and our predominately Christian society has never caused me a problem or made me feel uncomfortable.
Apparently you're not as fragile as some are.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
"Freedom From Religion" is provided for under the general rubric of "the right to free association" often known in practice as "the right to be left alone". It's one of the most basic human rights. Most objections to religious practice is by people who don't feel they're being left alone. However, being "left alone" can't extend to "not being annoyed". Much of what we see in the world grieves us for various reasons, but that's life.

Being "left alone" from a non-religious person's point of view is not being proselytized (which I view as just a special case of direct marketing); not being discriminated against in the job market or for services based on their lack of faith; and generally feeling about as safe as any other citizen has a right to feel.

Now ... in my decade or so as a declared atheist, I have never had the police assist (or ticket!) me differently than when I was a theist; I've not been turned down for or let go from work because of my unbelief; and while I have been proselytized a bit, just as I've gotten unsolicited marketing phone calls and emails, letting them know their advances are unwanted is generally sufficient to solve the problem. I don't go about my daily business in fear of my life. In the US at least, I don't see a significant problem.

I will be out there agitating with the best of them the minute any of those things change, but I'm not particularly concerned about it. I might feel somewhat differently if I lived in the buckle of the Bible Belt or something, but so far, so good.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:

It really depends where you live in most cases. I'm a Pagan & I live in the bibe-belt not the place to be for someone like me. I've lived all over the country & it's really bad here more then any place I have squatted before. Small towns are all about God & football here in the south nothing else matters to them. They don't care how rude they come across they feel it's thier God given right to be in your face with it.

Just for the record I don't plan to stay here at some time or another I can see it getting dangerous for people like me.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
"Freedom From Religion" is provided for under the general rubric of "the right to free association" often known in practice as "the right to be left alone". It's one of the most basic human rights.
Umm, no. Free association is being allowed to hang out with the people you like. Has nothing to do with what society at large is about. You are allowed to hang out with your atheistic friends. No problem. Being protected from the majority who are religious. Nope. Free speech rights can suck at times, but that is the price of living in a free country.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Yes.

Freedom of... means the religious are welcome to ride on the bus along with everyone else.
Freedom from... means they aren't welcome to drive the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality