Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,343,066 times

Advertisements

I don't default to the belief in invisible supernatural entities such as gods, angels or demons. I feel that there is much in and about the universe we do not know and haven't discovered yet, and I believe there are phenomena which we have not yet grasped or which might exist beyond the ability of our senses to explain or comprehend or even have knowledge of as yet in our development, so I am not an absolutist in the sense that I'd say "Beings such as gods, angels, demons, etc. positively do not exist in any way, shape or form."

Whether or not such beings exist is more than any human knows. But in the light of the complete and total lack of evidence for them, I do not see a reason to tend towards belief in them.

I do feel that there are opportunities in life for humans to come across each other and be able to enrich each others lives or help each other through a difficult situation, or just offer comfort, kindness and solace. I don't know if I would call this an angelic circumstance, but I have had people in my life who were, in effect, angels to me, even if I don't use that terminology to describe them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM

While on the subject, has anyone here seen the film Wings of Desire? It is about an angel who falls in love with a human woman and decides to become human and mortal himself. It's a really beautiful film.

In the earlier parts of the film, it shows angels helping humans along by following them closely and listening to them and touching them on the shoulder. They come to help humans during times of sadness and difficulty.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinhighrN13 View Post
I believe an angel is a human being who transcends a power greater than themself, which to me is the spirit of love & connectivity OR what I choose to call God.
This is actually a very nice definition, both of angels and of god.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,636,124 times
I don't "believe in angels". I believe in their existence. The bible says that they exist and are messengers.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
sigh - this is a nice little thread about angels, please leave your bias against the Bible and any ugly comments about your fellow posters for another thread where folks want to argue, this isn't the one
*sigh* I don't have a "bias against the Bible." In fact I love The Bible, have studied it my entire life and feel it is the pinnacle achievement of the human heart and mind. It is a collection of books that is profound, majestic, mysterious and often full of wisdom and beauty. It is nearly impossible to imagine the Western World without its influence.

I don't feel I made any "ugly" comments. I was just pointing out the fact that The Bible is, of course, not 100% factually and historically true and accurate (though I definitely believe it contains some actual history.)

This is neither bias nor opinion; it is quite clear that there are portions and aspects of The Bible that are comprised of myth and legend, and anyone viewing history and comparing/contrasting many of the biblical stories with those of other, older cultures (most of which are cultures with which the Hebrews had close contact, not coincidentally) free of bias and with an open mind can see this plainly.

This does not detract from the worth of The Bible. Myths and stories are not lies; they are merely different ways of conveying Truths.

A person's faith must be very shallow, rigid and brittle to believe The Bible is inerrant and 100% true and accurate. And to believe such does require tossing out reason and logic for the most part. I would argue that viewing The Bible merely as a "history book" actually robs it of its greater meaning and depth.

Now, though, I certainly have strayed off topic. I just wanted to point out the above facts to you and let you know a bit where I am coming from with regards to The Bible. If the facts I mentioned are difficult for you to digest, or you do not care for my opinions, there is a Christianity section of the forum where you won't be as liable to encounter facts and opinions your faith cannot withstand.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I don't "believe in angels". I believe in their existence. The bible says that they exist and are messengers.
Certainly another way of putting it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality