Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Vizio, what do you have to say about the following Bible verse:

"I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women."- 2 Samuel 1:26

In the other hand, yes God created male and female. But all verses in the Bible apparently condemning homosexuality are, in reality, condemning promiscuity, similar to what happens in the army and prisons when people are way to far from the opposite sex and cannot hold on their sexual appetite. Also, the Bible does not endorse man-woman equality, fantasizing about others, fornication, and other sins and I don't see Christians as concerned as with homosexuality. There is a lot of falsehood going on in the church and it is time people realize churches are not, in a great extent, what they are supposed to be. Not to mention all the pedophilia and other sexual perversions that happen in a frightening basis in both Catholic and non-Catholic Christian churches.
Taking that verse to mean a homosexual relationship is viewing it through the lens of 21st century American culture. Hyper-masculinity as we know it today in America didn't exist at the time that was written and no one in those days would have taken it to mean anything sexual. Guys in the Middle East today still hold hands and kiss and they aren't gay. Out of all the liberal interpretations of Scripture to justify homosexuality, that is probably the weakest. The interpretation of Romans 1 that it's only referring to pagan rituals holds more weight.

If you view the story of David and Jonathan as being homosexual, then you must also believe Romans 1 is condemning all same sex acts. The reason being is that both are through a 21st century American lens. You yourself are saying you must take Romans 1 in its cultural context so you must do the same for David and Jonathan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We know they exist. But the fact is, they were born either male or female. That's what stinks about this world, isn't it? Nothing is perfect. It's a broken world. Some people are just born with a bad lot in life. Whether you're a kid with a terminal disease, or a person born with both gender's sex organs.
Your answer shows it's clear you don't want to bother to educate yourself on this topic, so I'm not sure what you hope to gain with posts that just prove how little you know about the topic.

Does your 'faith' require you to be willfully ignorant of facts? If so, it's not a very strong faith.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Your answer shows it's clear you don't want to bother to educate yourself on this topic, so I'm not sure what you hope to gain with posts that just prove how little you know about the topic.

Does your 'faith' require you to be willfully ignorant of facts? If so, it's not a very strong faith.
No..I fully comprehend the fact that the effects of sin on this world are horrible. God didn't mean for sin, disease, homosexuality, etc to be on earth. I personally know of several people dying from cancer. Others are from broken homes....many are on their 2nd and 3rd marriages. Instead of doing it God's way...we do it our way and just mess it all up.

God created male and female in a nice garden. Adam and Eve screwed that up, and we willfully embrace it.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
No..I fully comprehend the fact that the effects of sin on this world are horrible. God didn't mean for sin, disease, homosexuality, etc to be on earth. I personally know of several people dying from cancer. Others are from broken homes....many are on their 2nd and 3rd marriages. Instead of doing it God's way...we do it our way and just mess it all up.

God created male and female in a nice garden. Adam and Eve screwed that up, and we willfully embrace it.
"Created male and female in a nice garden"?

Are you serious? It's a creation myth. A story. Just like many other creation myths and stories created by primitive cultures.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
For those interested, this thread I linked to is a good one from a couple years ago. In fact, Jaymax, you contributed a bit to it. It is a fact that fundalmentalist Christians don't like discussing that type of subject. It's much easier to pretend that those types of people don't exist.

Why do Christians deny the existence of intersex births (hemaphrodite)?
Thanks for that. It's a blast from the past.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

What did we "mess up" for people to get diseases and cancer?

If someone gets cancer is it because they sinned? Do you believe people "willfully embrace" disease? (I'm trying to figure out why you chose to put disease between sin and homosexuality because that's just flat-out odd to me. I've read enough of your posts to know why you put sin and homosexuality together.)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Taking that verse to mean a homosexual relationship is viewing it through the lens of 21st century American culture.
You mean like anti-gays view the verses in the Bible supposedly against homosexuality through the lens of 21st Century American culture? Quite the double standard.

Quote:

If you view the story of David and Jonathan as being homosexual, then you must also believe Romans 1 is condemning all same sex acts. The reason being is that both are through a 21st century American lens. You yourself are saying you must take Romans 1 in its cultural context so you must do the same for David and Jonathan.
I'm not saying they were gay, but I think that's a much closer relationship than one would typically see between 2 men in an extremely patriarchal society. Either way, you don't know that it wasn't a romantic same-sex relationships, and we don't know that it was. All it shows is that two men are Biblically allowed to love each other more than they love women.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
This is not a matter to be decided by "the majority". People have their rights, PERIOD, and no other human has the right to "decide" those rights for them. If heterosexuals don't like homosexuality, then they can stay heterosexual is just as simple as that. But not all of us want to be heterosexual and I don't like that any other soul decides which orientation I have to follow.
Should father be allowed to take their daughters as wives? Is it their right? Is anyone telling gay people to stop sleeping with each other? What rights don't they have? oh they cant have a piece of paper that says "married" because its a law....

Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Should father be allowed to take their daughters as wives? Is it their right? Is anyone telling gay people to stop sleeping with each other? What rights don't they have? oh they cant have a piece of paper that says "married" because its a law....

Gays can be fired or denied housing in most states just for being gay. And that little piece of paper has 1500 benefits and rights associated with it.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You mean like anti-gays view the verses in the Bible supposedly against homosexuality through the lens of 21st Century American culture? Quite the double standard.
My response was not holding a double standard. I was technically saying the same thing you were. You say you have to look at Romans 1 in the cultural context, which from your research is condemning idolatry, not homosexuality. In that light, you have to look at the story of David and Jonathan in cultural context.

Let me add that the notion of David and Jonathan being gay started in the 1950s, during the era where today's hyper-masculine, homophobic culture was coming into its own, the beginning of the gay rights movement were taking shape, and deep, close relationships between to straight males like David and Jonathan began to be shunned as being homosexual.

Last edited by bchris02; 02-25-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality