Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,937,745 times

Advertisements

South Korea is 29% Christian

South Korean Christians Increasingly Disillusioned with Church - koreaBANG

An increasing number of South Korean Christians are becoming disillusioned with organised religion and are leaving their churches, a recently published report says.

Greed, unthinking obedience, and hypocrisy among church leaders in recent years has led to a new phenomenon of ‘unchurched Christians’, the report says, who believe in the religion but avoid joining a congregation.

In a country famous for its zealous subway preachers and the largest church congregation in the world, the idea that you can be spiritual without being religious is novel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
South Korea is 29% Christian

South Korean Christians Increasingly Disillusioned with Church - koreaBANG

An increasing number of South Korean Christians are becoming disillusioned with organised religion and are leaving their churches, a recently published report says.

Greed, unthinking obedience, and hypocrisy among church leaders in recent years has led to a new phenomenon of ‘unchurched Christians’, the report says, who believe in the religion but avoid joining a congregation.

In a country famous for its zealous subway preachers and the largest church congregation in the world, the idea that you can be spiritual without being religious is novel.
I would welcome a lively discussion here with a church -disillusioned 29% of the Korean population.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
So people are ditching the religiosity for simple, honest faith? I can't say that I really blame them. We're seeing the fruits of purpose-driven, seeker-sensitive megachurches here in America: shallow faith, rising levels of atheism, religion focused on things of this world, etc.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,205 times
Very interesting, for Korea was well-known as having a surprisingly large number of Christians for a non-"Western" country. I suppose in these days of connectivity and instant information, it's much harder to keep certain things under wraps and put on a fake face.

I would also like to think that this same connectivity gives people access to better resources concerning their religion, instead of having to rely on their Sunday School teacher alone.

Speaking of "Eastern" responses to Christianity, some might enjoy this reply penned to a preacher trying to convert Hindus. It's very interesting! It, too, speaks of the simplicity of faith, rather than of denomination (though as a commenter points out, Ghandhi was not the perfect saint that many think). Here it is. It reminds me of a story of a missionary who ran into a multitude of problems after translating the Bible into a certain African language, and finding that the readers of said Bible were very able to frustrate the missionary with their questions regarding the many textual problems in the Bible. The missionary is no longer a missionary, for these simple (and I mean that in the sense that they were members of a small tribe without access to what we would consider modern amenities) people were able to make him see the Bible with fresh eyes, and not through a glass darkly.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So people are ditching the religiosity for simple, honest faith? I can't say that I really blame them. We're seeing the fruits of purpose-driven, seeker-sensitive megachurches here in America: shallow faith, rising levels of atheism, religion focused on things of this world, etc.
If you were yourself to ditch religiosity and purpose - driven megachurches (or indeed, if you already have) I would think better of you old chum.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If you were yourself to ditch religiosity and purpose - driven megachurches (or indeed, if you already have) I would think better of you old chum.
I despise Rick Warren's purpose-drive theology. I don't like seeker-sensitive churches. Yes--we should be loving and accepting of anyone that walks through the doors, but we don't design our worship services for those that are not Christians.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
What has happened is division and strife,cliques have been formed throughout the church vey perilous and pernicious thing, we are to be a body of one, the Bride of Christ.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 AM

Even if one could decide on a suitable all inclusive denomination, one would then have to tackle the pernicious divisions, strife and cliques that exist in the worship of the Abrahamic god, in their various ways.

I won't fall into the rather self -serving 'you are wasting your time trying' trap though. When threatened with a serious challenge of doubt to their authority, even mutually hostile creeds can stand together, united in maintaining Godfaith against the hellspawn who have no morals and want to fornicate in the streets.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,137 times
Most of the Koreans I know only attend Church for the community. They aren't all that devout and Monday through Saturday you wouldn't even be able to tell they were Christians.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Most of the Koreans I know only attend Church for the community. They aren't all that devout and Monday through Saturday you wouldn't even be able to tell they were Christians.
Another difficulty for Western minds to understand. Like many other people in Oriental nations Koreans generally do not see any conflict to claim to be following several conflicting religions at the same time.

If you were to ask a Korean if he was a Christian he might answer yes, then if you ask him if he is a Taoist he might again answer yes and if you then asked if he was a Buddhist he just might answer yes again.

It is like asking an American if he was Christian, Republican, German and getting 3 yes answers.

I have found many people in the Orient to be very flexible and change incoming cultures to agree with their cultured.

I think Lin Yu Tang summed it up quite well when he wrote: " An invader can not conquer China, as when they invade the invaders adapt to Chinese Culture and become Chinese." (or word's very similar, going by memory)

In my opinion Christian churches in Korea will either adapt to Korean beliefs or fail to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality