Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you see as the "lesser of two evils"?
God will ultimately save all of mankind 24 96.00%
God will condemn the majority of humankind to eternal torment 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

At the request of Sizzly Friddle, who read some of the posts in a similar thread I started in the Christianity forum, I would like to pose the following question to non-Christians only, please!

If you were to become a Christian which would be more appealing to you?
A. God loves everybody and all have a chance to be forgiven.
or
B. Most people suck and are going to burn and suffer and be tormented for all of eternity.

(Thanks, Sizzly, for the suggestion.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Cannot...answer...question. The thought of becoming a Christian stops me right there. Sorry; I can't even pretend.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Neither, but I chose God #1 because I was limited to two choices. The whole concept of forgiveness still implies this inane idea that I'm being watched by an infinite voyeur. Both options are illogical and not really worth spending their time on, in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Cannot...answer...question. The thought of becoming a Christian stops me right there. Sorry; I can't even pretend.
Well, if you can bring yourself to explain why, it would be appreciated? Is it because you can't stand Christianity or is it because you can't stand Christians?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
The kind that says, "God loves everybody and all have a chance to be forgiven" of course.

But, alas, I don't believe there is a god, nor that we have need to be forgiven by such a being.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
At the request of Sizzly Friddle, who read some of the posts in a similar thread I started in the Christianity forum, I would like to pose the following question to non-Christians only, please!

If you were to become a Christian which would be more appealing to you?
A. God loves everybody and all have a chance to be forgiven.
or
B. Most people suck and are going to burn and suffer and be tormented for all of eternity.

(Thanks, Sizzly, for the suggestion.)
The one thing that this "poll" will accurately show is that the number of “votes” for option one are indeed not Christians. Validating that those people complied to the request of the poll taker that only non-Christians participate.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM

I know this is kind of off-topic, Hueffenhardt, but why did you go on a mission? Did you still believe at that time, or were you just doing it for your parents?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
The one thing that this "poll" will accurately show is that the number of “votes” for option one are indeed not Christians. Validating that those people complied to the request of the poll taker that only non-Christians participate.
I know, but if you will look at the similar poll in the Christianity forum, you'll be amazed by not only the numbers but the comments. As a Christian, I could hardly believe what I was reading.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
This is akin to asking atheists which holy book is more appealing, it is irrelevant as all are fiction.

Think about this, christianity and all its offshoots are based on ancient writings to a specific ME desert tribe. That is as logical as finding some long lost tribe in the Amazon and then adopting their beliefs or like the USA leaving Iraq and Afgahnistan and coming back and making Islam a state religion in the USA.

It is irrelevant which form of coercion is used be it catechism or saying some sinner's prayer, both set out subtly to convince the victim that there are less than human/worthy then when enough guilt has been dished out, the victim has bought into the mythology, then he/she capitulates to accepting this invisible deity's apparent benevolence.

The UR doctrines being more palatable is merely folk who have adjusted to dismiss the xian hell either suggesting a temporary judgment or none at all, as has been said, one still has to buy into the concept of an invisible deity that somehow cares, primarily your sexual behaviour, and all it proves is that the coercion, indoctrination techniques most were exposed to as children in their formative years, holds through to adulthood. When the doo doo hits the fan in life, whatever that is, the old self looks for explanations and then this twaddle kicks in and folk "repent" because they believe they have peed off some invisible dude in the sky when in 100% of cases it is merely bad luck/karma or they got themselves into that situation.

We are taught in life early NOT to take responsibility for our actions but to deflect. Religion is self serving and even the holy books suggest keeping yourself brainwashed by continuing reading of said book.

All religions are theopolitical mechanisms to control the masses through fear, politicians fear of the now, religious folk fear of the unproven hereafter. What a perfect recipe for the modern aristocrat to preserve their status and standing.

What we atheists are baffled by is how theists fail/refuse to see the parallels.

That is the long answer, the short one is neither.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I know this is kind of off-topic, Hueffenhardt, but why did you go on a mission? Did you still believe at that time, or were you just doing it for your parents?
I believed at the time. I was a true blue, dyed in the wool believer. I don't know how much you know about Mormonism, but as an example of how much of a believer I was, I was an instructor at the Missionary Training Center after I returned from my mission. I graduated from BYU and was 2nd counselor in two Bishoprics (think assistant pastor).

I have only been a non-believer for almost 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality