Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
How does this help me release worry? :/

"As a man thinketh so is he"

It was part of my personal process. Not necessary to be a part of yours.
The Secret is in no way a book about God. It's a book about the thing that most of us find most interesting...ourselves. I would be cautious about spiritual advice you gain from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do our thoughts create reality? How does that in any way lead one to God?
"As a man thinketh so is he". Basically the book The Secret talks on a larger scale of how like attracts like and how our thinking can influence our outcomes. It first starts with thought and our thoughts often influence our feelings and then our behavior that then leads to our actions which then leads to certain outcomes. What I found was that I was creating my own reality with my line of thought. "People don't like me", "No one wants to be my friend", "I'm not good enough", "You need to do xyz in order to BE good enough" and what that thought process did was influence the way I behaved, the way I felt about myself, the way others would treat me (or the way I perceived they treated me), and the things I pursued in life and how far I went in life. My experience with God helped to make the process more natural for me because it became easier to be grateful for even the littlest things (a new day, a new breath, the grass, the sun shining, less traffic on the road) but above all I saw that I had the opportunity to make my life how I wanted, that the way I thought about my life, and where I placed my focus, helped to shape it and that God wasn't a barrier to my success or a proponent of my failure, but the major source of my resources to help navigate this life. Much of life, to me, is free will, but there are some things we just have to experience and are unavoidable. My life will not be perfect. Even after the experience and encounter with Him, my life was difficult (I even developed anxiety), but it helped me to see that a major source of my outcomes was internal rather than external. So my locus of control changed and I no longer believe that one's circumstances determine their outcomes. In fact I see that God can take a person on a long journey, strip you of who and what you thought you were, just so that you can see clearly who you really are. And for that reason, I'm a staunch optimist (albeit also a realist).

I hope this answered your question.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
"As a man thinketh so is he". Basically the book The Secret talks on a larger scale of how like attracts like and how our thinking can influence our outcomes. It first starts with thought and our thoughts often influence our feelings and then our behavior that then leads to our actions which then leads to certain outcomes. What I found was that I was creating my own reality with my line of thought. "People don't like me", "No one wants to be my friend", "I'm not good enough", "You need to do xyz in order to BE good enough" and what that thought process did was influence the way I behaved, the way I felt about myself, the way others would treat me (or the way I perceived they treated me), and the things I pursued in life and how far I went in life. My experience with God helped to make the process more natural for me because it became easier to be grateful for even the littlest things (a new day, a new breath, the grass, the sun shining, less traffic on the road) but above all I saw that I had the opportunity to make my life how I wanted, that the way I thought about my life, and where I placed my focus, helped to shape it and that God wasn't a barrier to my success or a proponent of my failure, but the major source of my resources to help navigate this life. Much of life, to me, is free will, but there are some things we just have to experience and are unavoidable. My life will not be perfect. Even after the experience and encounter with Him, my life was difficult (I even developed anxiety), but it helped me to see that a major source of my outcomes was internal rather than external. So my locus of control changed and I no longer believe that one's circumstances determine their outcomes. In fact I see that God can take a person on a long journey, strip you of who and what you thought you were, just so that you can see clearly who you really are. And for that reason, I'm a staunch optimist (albeit also a realist).

I hope this answered your question.
Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality