Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times

Advertisements

Just saying. A lot of dear friends are praying for me right now. They say they are, I say thank you. It's about the same thing as a less religious person like myself just telling someone they are in my thoughts. Sometimes there's not a lot else to be done. I consider their intent in what they say, and I love my friends, but people are fools to believe in this stuff they way they do.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
If you are genuinely interested in prayer, I encourage you to read this link:

Is there evidence that God answers prayer?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Just saying. A lot of dear friends are praying for me right now. They say they are, I say thank you. It's about the same thing as a less religious person like myself just telling someone they are in my thoughts. Sometimes there's not a lot else to be done. I consider their intent in what they say, and I love my friends, but people are fools to believe in this stuff they way they do.
People may be foolish in thinking every prayer will be answered the way they hope. But I don't believe they are foolish for praying. Even if "all" is does is keep someone in their thoughts - that can't be bad. And it just might be good.

I'm happy for your sake that you have good friends. They can make any situation easier to bear.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
In the Bible from John 3:3...The Living God Lord Jesus Christ said, `` Very truly , I say to you , Except a man be born again , he cannot see the Kingdom of God ``..... So if your friends are born again in the true spirit of Christ, Then be blessed and bless your friends and their prayers , as Jesus does hear the prayers of the righteous of Jesus believers , and people repenting and praying for their salvation ........... Other wise people prayers of the World without Jesus will not be heard, because they must be born again in the spirit of Christ of God ......

Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In the Bible from John 3:3...The Living God Lord Jesus Christ said, `` Very truly , I say to you , Except a man be born again , he cannot see the Kingdom of God ``..... So if your friends are born again in the true spirit of Christ, Then be blessed and bless your friends and their prayers , as Jesus does hear the prayers of the righteous of Jesus believers , and people repenting and praying for their salvation ........... Other wise people prayers of the World without Jesus will not be heard, because they must be born again in the spirit of Christ of God ......
Do you realize how well you just backed up my argument that it does nothing?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
What is it specifically that you (or your friends) are/were hoping the prayers will help with?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
People who are religious and who pray have many explanations when they're prayers are not answered:

"It wasn't God's will"
"Satan is interfering"

etc., etc.

When they're prayers are answered, then it's "God's will" or because they are Christians and thus favored by the Lord.

I'm not disparaging anyone who believes or relies on prayers. It's very comforting to believers. But to non-believers relying on prayer is akin to believing in the Easter Bunny or Santa.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Ah, the old "no true Scotsman" fallacy. No true Christian's prayers are unanswered. That must be why people are lined up for blocks to get into churches and get saved -- god must answer the prayers of every Christian.

Except the ones he's testing, or that have secret sins, or who aren't asking for what they should be, or for which he has some inscrutable and ineffable reason to not answer, or ... hm, that eliminates just about everybody ...

Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times
I think when the OP says "You cannot depend on it." is closer to the truth about prayer.
I think prayer can be overrated and underrated at times, all I know is if someone wants to say a prayer for me I will never refuse it.
I do remember when people would want to tip me for the work I did, if it was an older person or someone that seemed to be of limited means I would tell them to just say a prayer for me instead.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
People who are religious and who pray have many explanations when they're prayers are not answered:

"It wasn't God's will"
"Satan is interfering"

etc., etc.

When they're prayers are answered, then it's "God's will" or because they are Christians and thus favored by the Lord.

I'm not disparaging anyone who believes or relies on prayers. It's very comforting to believers. But to non-believers relying on prayer is akin to believing in the Easter Bunny or Santa.

Here's the thing...prayers ARE always heard by God, and they are always answered.

But they are not always answered the way we humans may want them to be answered.

God is not Santa Claus come to make all our dreams and wishes come true.

He sees a much bigger picture than we are able to see from our lowly vantage points - his answers are based on that bigger picture.

We can't always appreciate this, but God is very loving caring creator - he wants what is best for us in the long run, in the bigger scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality