Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:56 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Your claims have been thoroughly debunked years ago. It's perhaps time to find a new hobby.
If one reads Nabil's Narrative: The Dawn Breakers, one gets a different perspective than the newspapers at the time reported. I'd suggest you investigate outside the Baha'i perspective, after all Baha'u"allah did encourage the followers to seek the truth. You will find the what the Bab professed was nothing more than what ISIS is professing today. Baha'u'allah toned it down a lot as to not be so brutal, which is a good thing. However, the laws He laid down in the Aqdas, which are suppose to govern mankind for the next 1000 years, are very sexist, bigoted and brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I joined the Baha'i Faith in 1974 and left it in 1996, on the surface the Baha'i Faith seems like an awesome religion, unity, equality and oneness of mankind. These traits seem to draw a person in, for who wouldn't want these ideals. After a while you then become aware of the administrative side of the Baha'i Faith, then questions start to arise.
Like, if the Baha'i professes the equality of man and woman why are women forbidden to serve on the Universal House of Justice.
All books written about the Baha'i Faith must be approved by the Baha'i Publishing Trust, failure to do this can result in your removal of rights in the Baha'i Faith.

In the 80's we asked about when will the Kitab-i-Aqdas be translated? The Kitab-i-Aqdas is the Bahai Book of Laws. The answer we got got was it hasn't been translated yet. There was a reason for this, if one reads the original translation of this book (which was translated in 1901) it would scare off a lot of potential converts to the Baha'i Faith. This book was suppressed by the Baha'i administration because the translation was "to literal", how can a translation be to literal unless there was something to hide. Then the Baha'i Faith released the "official" version in 1992. These "laws" are suppose to govern mankind for the next 1000 years, and some of these laws are in line with the Islamic sharia law.

I like the sound of all of these, but was wondering if they could be legalistic at the same time as well.
It does sound very good in theory, almost like Buddhism and other religions all mixed into one.
Does anyone else have experience with this group?

Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am given to understand that Baha'i affirms the validity of all religions and so their endorsement of Islam would not be exclusive. Nor would it be genuine because otherwise they would be a Muslim sect rather than a separate faith or doubtless as they would have it, meta-faith.

Baha'i strikes me as a conceptually admirable but inherently doomed attempt to Rise Above It All. A strategy of honoring all BS simply produces more BS.
You are correct. I have an American co-worker who is deeply into Baha'i. I have asked her many questions about this religion and it all aligns with what you've posted. She is does not practice Islam nor ever mentioned any ties to it.

Last edited by Matadora; 02-18-2017 at 09:38 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You are correct. I have an American co-worker who is deeply into Baha'i. I have asked her many questions about this religion and it all aligns with what you've posted. She is does not practice Islam nor ever mentioned any ties to it.
Baha'i is Baha'i and Islam is Islam, Baha'i is not Islam, however, the Baha'i has it's roots in Islam just as Christianity has its roots in Judaism. Baha'i professes to be an independent religion. Like I said in an earlier post, on the surface the Baha'i Faith seems to be benign, the writings of Baha'u'llah are inspiring so say the least, Gleenings, the Kitab-i-Iqan both are very good books. However, once you get into the administration aspect of the Baha'i Faith, then things start to change. This is why I left the Baha'i Faith after being in it for 20+ years.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Some one who has Been It can probably give a more telling view of it that someone who has never Been It - or still is.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:37 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,941,190 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njTaFw3liNo

Bahai advocate a one world government

Old 02-26-2017, 04:48 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,941,190 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0cBv39RZI

Old 02-27-2017, 09:30 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
I looked into the Baha'i faith once, until I realized it was anti-gay, demands total obedience to government, and expects its members to be completely apolitical.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:11 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shining_star View Post
They've been debunked in your dreams. You are basically denying your own scripture. Time to grab a couple of Baha'i books and read them for once. I suggest you start with the book of Aqdas including this section: "Should anyone intentionally destroy a house by fire, him also shall ye burn"
Just searched for that verse on The Kitáb-i-Aqdas : Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows, Mac and found some enlightening notes:

Quote:
The law of Bahá’u’lláh prescribes the death penalty for murder and arson, with the alternative of life imprisonment (see note 87).
In His Tablets ‘Abdu’l‑Bahá explains the difference between revenge and punishment. He affirms that individuals do not have the right to take revenge, that revenge is despised in the eyes of God, and that the motive for punishment is not vengeance, but the imposition of a penalty for the committed offense. In Some Answered Questions, He confirms that it is the right of society to impose punishments on criminals for the purpose of protecting its members and defending its existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality