Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM

995 posts, read 956,729 times

Advertisements

I like to compare philosophies between religions, and one philosophy that Buddhism and Christianity that clashes probably the most is the philosophy on miracles. The Buddha taught his disciples not to perform miracles to gain converts. They could levitate, walk on water, part water,..etc...And the Buddha was very adamant that teachers of Buddhism not use them as a tool to convert people. He teaches that miracles can hypnotize people, and they end up not thinking critically for themselves. To convert people, you must instead reason with people.

Then you have Christianity. There would be no Christianity (or Judaism) without the use of miracles. Any dude that performs miracles is considered the almighty authority on God. Jesus taught that if you follow him, you can perform the same miracles as he did, though I haven't seen or heard of one single Christian perform ANYTHING like Jesus did.

Then there's the Devil. I was watching the movie "The 19th Gate" and in it, there is a Devil-woman who has all kinds of supernatural powers. Levitating, foresight..etc... Same with the movie "The Exorcist". I am left to decide for myself weather or not miracles like these are empowered by God, the Devil, or just by the individual, or what. What attitude should I take?

Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM

995 posts, read 956,729 times
one day the Buddha met an ascetic who sat by the bank of a river. This ascetic had practised austerities for 25 years. The Buddha asked him what he had received for all his labor. The ascetic proudly replied that, now at last, he could cross the river by walking on the water. The Buddha pointed out that this gain was insignificant for all the years of labor, since he could cross the river using a ferry for one penny!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 PM

20,033 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Does it matter what attitude you take towards miracles, when you haven't seen any? It's like asking what attitude you should take towards unicorns.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Hi Rider's Pantheon,
A list of reading....where many many many "miracles" have happened...
It's only a miracle if u don't understand it or how it was done.

Enjoy!

John G. Lake, anything about him
Smith Wigglesworth, anything about him
Katherine Kuhlman, anything about her
"Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East", Baird T. Spalding, Vol 1 of 6, 1924

Just for starters.
And for the record...omgosh have I ever seen miracles!! And heard testimonials
from some that belong to a church where I was healed July 2009....and wowsa...
The things I could tell ya...but there are too many scawffers , spelling?,
Not worth it for me here to tell of such purity.
But I would in pms to anyone that needed inspiration...but it would take a long long time to tell all!!!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 05-11-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Does it matter what attitude you take towards miracles, when you haven't seen any? It's like asking what attitude you should take towards unicorns.
That's what I was thinking.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Then there's the Devil. I was watching the movie "The 19th Gate" and in it, there is a Devil-woman who has all kinds of supernatural powers. Levitating, foresight..etc... Same with the movie "The Exorcist". I am left to decide for myself weather or not miracles like these are empowered by God, the Devil, or just by the individual, or what. What attitude should I take?
Ya know one of the sad facts of today's world is that the younger folk confuse movies with reality. Movies are fake, but good fiction. Written by paid authors to come up with a story.

Turn off the TV and your laptop. Go to a flesh and blood (meat space) pastor and ask your questions. Truth is found in the real world, not the virtual.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
I like to compare philosophies between religions, and one philosophy that Buddhism and Christianity that clashes probably the most is the philosophy on miracles. The Buddha taught his disciples not to perform miracles to gain converts. They could levitate, walk on water, part water,..etc...And the Buddha was very adamant that teachers of Buddhism not use them as a tool to convert people. He teaches that miracles can hypnotize people, and they end up not thinking critically for themselves. To convert people, you must instead reason with people.

Then you have Christianity. There would be no Christianity (or Judaism) without the use of miracles. Any dude that performs miracles is considered the almighty authority on God. Jesus taught that if you follow him, you can perform the same miracles as he did, though I haven't seen or heard of one single Christian perform ANYTHING like Jesus did.

It depends upon your definition of "miracle".

Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned.
The anger comes from witnessing the scams that are these faith healers. They use people for self-aggrandizement. They take advantage of the naivete' of their audience, coupled with the power of suggestion and peer pressure.
You won't find these people in places where they cannot control the environment and the mood. They don't go to the Children's hospital because they will be embarrassed and be exposed for the frauds they are. I'm sorry you were caught up in this, but you can limit the damage by not spreading the falsehoods of faith healers.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-13-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ya know one of the sad facts of today's world is that the younger folk confuse movies with reality.
LOL! Some people have the same problem with a certain book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Falsehood? I demonstrate at least once every couple weeks
the miracle of my healing. (Since July 2009, still)
The one I was dragged to...
Odd that your 'god of love, mercy and compassion' would heal you yet turn his back on these.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:25 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
There is a evil spirit , called gland disruptor demons by Jesus Holy Spirit , which make people hungry and fat layers pile on , these evil spirits can disrupt the glands , the fluids and blood and give bloating and gas in the stomach and the back side , and look through the spirit, like seahorses ..............Were only through Lord Jesus by the judgment of the cross from Heaven can rip these evil spirits out of people , and bring healing .................... Where starving people from the previous reply come from first having the WRONG God , or no faith in Jesus , were the similar evil spirit manipulate the authority were they live and the rich liberal nation turn the blind eyes , so also through faith in Lord Jesus by the judgment of the cross can bring in miracles by livening the spirit to open the eyes of people to help the starving people ............ Basically lack of faith in the Right Lord God will bring curses by plague of famine ...... ...... See through reason and logic men turn away from the truth , as the devil is the author of confusion against the honor of Gods Words ..... ....Where as in the bible from Matthew 11: 5 Jesus said to bring miracles to prove the Messiah is He ...........``The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up , and the poor have the gospel preached to them ..And blessed is he , who so ever will not be offended in me ....``
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality