Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM

391 posts, read 841,157 times

Advertisements

So I was raised Christian for the most part, I had to raise myself, so talking to God was really my only outlet as a child. As an adult and tried a couple churches, many people were fake, unchristian like, and it was all just a scam. Though I am drawing interest in Islam because of some of the music associated with it, I am finding nearly the same thing. Cold shouldered people and when you ask anything about the faith, they think you are the devil, so to say.

I don't need a congregation to have the faith I do, but it would be sure nice to talk to another of the same faith.

Please no scripture quotes from the religious people, I don't want you shouldn't believe in that garbage anyway from the atheists. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
I wish you well in your search.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Study all religions deeply. But do you wish that I (and others), who most assuredly have different ideas from your faith, refrain from conversing with you?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
So I was raised Christian for the most part, I had to raise myself, so talking to God was really my only outlet as a child. As an adult and tried a couple churches, many people were fake, unchristian like, and it was all just a scam. Though I am drawing interest in Islam because of some of the music associated with it, I am finding nearly the same thing. Cold shouldered people and when you ask anything about the faith, they think you are the devil, so to say.

I don't need a congregation to have the faith I do, but it would be sure nice to talk to another of the same faith.

Please no scripture quotes from the religious people, I don't want you shouldn't believe in that garbage anyway from the atheists. Thanks!
This is the place. If you have a question relating to religion in general start a thread, if you feel that posting in a particular religion forum is going to elicit hostility. Try not to dismiss atheist garbage as such before you read it (if indeed you were not being ironic) or I misunderstood the remark.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM

231 posts, read 327,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Study all religions deeply.
That would take forever.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM

247 posts, read 236,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
That would take forever.
True ...it would be much faster just to accept the first one you come to. If you go alphabetically "Apollo" would be a good choice.

He's written about in the Illiad, and since archeologists have unearthed Troy (which had been thought to be mythical), that proves the whole Illiad must be true; the fact that the sun comes up every morning is PROOF of his existence also (...and chariots are cool; chicks dig a cool chariot).

Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,702 times
If you feel called to Islam at this time, you can start by maybe reading the texts and asking about it's meaning in a trusted forum or a trusted friend. When I was learning about it, I would ask people who were my friends who were of the religion or I made an online friend who was Islamic from another country who would talk to me on the religion. It was nice to learn in that way.

It can be frustrating and disheartening (and enlightening and uplifting) trying to find fellowship with people mostly because the issue isn't necessarily the religion but that you're dealing with people and their personalities. Like everything that involves a certain closeness with people, you're not going to get along with everyone and it isn't a relationship that can be forced and feel comfortable. I never really found a church home that I really liked, to be honest, because in the past I would ask people about scripture and what it said and they'd tell me what the pastor said (did they read it for themselves?) or I'd admire the unity of the people from afar only to realize that because they were so united, they didn't really have room in them for newcomers. I tend to stay away from fundamentalist churches as well mostly because it's too extreme and a woman has to know her limitations. And while the prosperity gospel is all well and good and incorporates the Law of Attraction, I also know that I don't want my relationship with God to be about getting stuff, I want it to be about further developing our friendship and connectivity so I tend to back away from that as well.

Keep searching, OP. Eventually you'll find what works for you.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
True ...it would be much faster just to accept the first one you come to. If you go alphabetically "Apollo" would be a good choice.

He's written about in the Illiad, and since archeologists have unearthed Troy (which had been thought to be mythical), that proves the whole Illiad must be true; the fact that the sun comes up every morning is PROOF of his existence also (...and chariots are cool; chicks dig a cool chariot).
What makes you think choosing one would make it faster? It would literally take forever to study all religions deeply...even just one.

And why alphabetical? Do you do the same when choosing an ontology, anthropology, epistemology, ethic, politic, etc.?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Eventually you'll find what works for you.
God made in the image of man.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
God made in the image of man.
wait, I'm sorry. I didn't understand what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality