Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Galileo was absolutely a man of God ! What make's you think he was not a believer? If you go against the established church, that doesn't mean you don't believe in God. He wasn't martyred by the way; he sensibly backed down from the papist church's ultimatum.
Yeah, I'd heard that Galileo was a man of God as well as a man of science, but I didn't feel certain enough to mention it here. Issac Newton was also an extremely devout Christian, was he not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Issac Newton was also an extremely devout Christian, was he not?
On the contrary, he was a an 'antitrinitarian'. He believed that worshipping Jesus as a god was idolatry. He also always refused to take holy orders and his refused to take the sacrament on his death bed. He was also an alchemist. Says it all I suppose.

Last edited by Rafius; 07-28-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yeah. He was also an alchemist. Says it all I suppose.
Genius and madness are often very close.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM

33,528 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd heard that Galileo was a man of God as well as a man of science, but I didn't feel certain enough to mention it here. Issac Newton was also an extremely devout Christian, was he not?
In those days, in those countries the church held all the power and everyone had to say they were Christian, or suffer the consequences, and those consequences were not pleasant. The church insisted that the earth was the center of the universe, and Galileo was convicted of blasphemy for discovering that it wasn't and saying so.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:31 AM

223 posts, read 268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You knew them all personally I suppose?

I believe in evidence: scientists, no matter how brilliant, were required to take an oath to the church in order for their findings to be published, and for their freedom to be secured. Heresy was a very serious crime.

This is like you saying that everyone in Stalin's USSR agreed with him because almost nobody was vocal in their criticism of his regime. Yet no one with an ounce of sense would claim this. All you'd claim is that Stalin crushed dissent, and this had an incredibly chilling effect on anyone's speech.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
In those days, in those countries the church held all the power and everyone had to say they were Christian, or suffer the consequences, and those consequences were not pleasant. The church insisted that the earth was the center of the universe, and Galileo was convicted of blasphemy for discovering that it wasn't and saying so.
Which is why we celebrate him today!

Galileo defied the Catholic Church fo sho', but you have to remember the Catholic Church wasn't/isn't God Himself. Martin Luther also defied the Catholic Church, but I think we can agree God was working in him.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
I believe in evidence: scientists, no matter how brilliant, were required to take an oath to the church in order for their findings to be published, and for their freedom to be secured. Heresy was a very serious crime.

This is like you saying that everyone in Stalin's USSR agreed with him because almost nobody was vocal in their criticism of his regime. Yet no one with an ounce of sense would claim this. All you'd claim is that Stalin crushed dissent, and this had an incredibly chilling effect on anyone's speech.
Stalin was able to crush dissent because he didn't have to run around doing it all himself. Same deal with Hitler.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 AM

33,528 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Which is why we celebrate him today!

Galileo defied the Catholic Church fo sho', but you have to remember the Catholic Church wasn't/isn't God Himself. Martin Luther also defied the Catholic Church, but I think we can agree God was working in him.
Martin Luther? The guy who inspired Hitler to put in action his "final solution" regarding the Jewish people? Is he your hero?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
If your mother says she loves you, check your sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If you doubt that much why don't you doubt your own memories of the last 35 years? How do you know you weren't born last week with false memories of a 35 years that never happened?
It was a joke! I thought people here knew me better than that!

The world is obviously billions of years old. I don't really believe in God - but if he did exist, I highly doubt that he gets his jollies by planting fake evidence all over the universe to throw us off.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM

223 posts, read 268,254 times
Quote:
Stalin was able to crush dissent because he didn't have to run around doing it all himself. Same deal with Hitler.
How are you addressing the point? At all.

The point is, people didn't dissent because there were severe consequences if they did, not because they agreed.

The other poster was making the claim that, because scientists in the 1500-1600s agreed with the church, it's because they were believers at heart. Again, that's a totally illogical leap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality