Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The general population is completely and totally unable to see an aura of any kind. So if everybody is staring at you, it isn't because they see you have a black aura. In addition, spirits do not follow people around; they have better things to do with their time (in case that was your next question).

So there you go. There is the free advice about your aura that you were wondering how to find.
If not an aura,then something is causing it.
Maybe its negative energy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think it is agency attribution, the human tendency and need to connect unknown, unclear or subtle causes to some sort of external and usually intentional force. It is an evolutionary adaptation that helped our ancestors in the ancient world survive by causing them to run from rustling bushes, convinced that a sabre toothed tiger was ready to pounce on them -- and ask questions later. That is a great adaptation for a hunter gatherer, not so great for someone in the modern world. Eventually it will be selected out but that takes time. Meanwhile it causes anxiety, angst and irrational behavior.

This is where the idea of negative and positive energy comes from too. I believe one can have accepting or un-accepting emotions about something that is happening and others can pick up on that; if they are sensitive they pick up on it rather viscerally and it feels as if it's a force emanating from the person. I am fairly sensitive emotionally and my composure is readily disrupted by strong emotions in others. This is nothing more than me responding to their social cues and verbal tone; it is not some mysterious force emanating from them and interacting with me. But if I got into the habit of thinking of it as "bad" or "negative" "energy" then I could easily perceive it that way and once you have dualism like that you are in an oppositional environment and have to "ward off" unwanted / negative "energy".

Because of this, we have to be assertive in insisting that we have proof before we speak of gods, spirits, auras, and the like. In your case, either people really are staring at you and you really are accurately assessing how often or pervasively it is happening, or, to some extent you are reading too much into an otherwise mundane situation. And/or you are an observer whose very observation is changing the results of the experiment, so to speak.

I'm sure everyone here would agree that most people are so preoccupied with their own issues that they are lucky to be noticed and acknowledged, much less stared at. It just doesn't happen. But people do scan their environment and glance at you from time to time, and if you are on the lookout for people "staring" at you, when they DO happen to look at you, they will be greeted with your suspicious and/or fearful and/or hypervigilant and/or avoidant expression and then they may do a double take and then you may be in a stare-down. Indeed, if you are hypervigilant YOU may be the one doing the staring and everyone else is simply reacting to it!

A few pertinent questions:

Why don't you simply ask them what they are looking at or why they are staring?

Why do you care so much what they think or that they are looking?

Yesterday, my wife and I went to a public event at a park. We bought some food and found there were no empty picnic tables. We sat down at one that had one other person at the table. I noted the person's existence and then proceeded to ignore them and eat my food. My wife noted their existence and then ruined her eating experience by obsessing about the person being at the table with us. Same person, two people with totally different experiences. I enjoyed my meal thoroughly, she was completely stressed out and exhausted. Which one of us was right? Well, I don't know which one was "right" but I know which one had more fun and less stress.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
Quote:
Facial expressions? Maybe they think you're attractive? Maybe without realizing it, you're also staring at them?

But I agree with oregon. MOST people don't see auras.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
So what is your point?
So what exactly did you mean by "why did you make me to look like this"?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Anyone have any experience with them?
I have experience of their trade rather than experience of them per se. In that I have studied, and can even perform, many of the optical and other tricks they engage in to make you think they are doing something when they are not.

Quote:
Just a hint: people who have some genuine psychic ability generally do not charge for what they do. They have received a gift and they pass it along as a gift.
That would be a pretty poor gauge. Mainly because not all reward is monetary or instant. They may not charge up front but many receive money later, or other benefits such as advertising other fake products and services they have... social status... sex.... political power... and much more.

You are far from the first on these fora to suggest that not charging cash is some kind of gauge of credibility. It simply is not.

Quote:
If anyone is going to charge you a bunch of money to cleanse your aura, or whatever it is they are going to do, there is an extremely good chance that you will be giving money to a con artist.
If anyone suggests you have an "aura" that can be "cleansed" then there is a good chance you are talking to a con artist. Money has nothing to do with it. There simply is no substantiation for any of that.

Conversely the opposite is also not true. If anyone tells you that someone with such a gift would never charge for its use, they are also talking nonsense. Were such a gift to exist, the people using it still need to eat. Live. Pay for or rent a house. And will have expenses related to using their gift such as travel to and from client homes and more.

So while I do not think such gifts exist... and there is literally no evidence on offer to me to suggest they do.... the idea that a person with such a gift would never charge money to use it... and that therefore anyone who does charge is automatically a charlatan.... is just wanton nonsense.

Evaluate the claims the person is making and no more. WHO is making the claims and what they are charging for it (if anything) should have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
This will prolly be stupid to share this here...so I may post and run.

But Sunday at a Unity Church service, my 2nd in 25 years, I was so "filled",
I paused for a second....placed both hands on my hip joints...(flared recently
from kick boxing bad form) told the Holy Spirit to heal them and VOILA!
It's Tuesday and any constant dull aching is GONE!
(And I mean it was like a darn month of it day and night!)

I smile and am thanking God pretty much every hour!

Trust me, this stuff doesn't just "happen" because I had 2 Martinis instead of just one that day.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Trust me, this stuff doesn't just "happen" because I had 2 Martinis instead of just one that day.
You have heard of "Return to the mean" haven't you?

What this means is that people will often seek help from unusual sources when things are at their worst. Such as a condition that "flared recently". The thing about things at their worst however is that they tend to be JUST about to get better all by themselves. So people try their unusual cure and voila, it appears to work.

This is one of the reasons why things like homoeopathy are popular too for example. People get to a desperate point and say "Oh well, trying it can not hurt can it" and so they do... and because they do so JUST as their complaint peaks and was about to get better anyway... they are convinced that homoeopathy is what cured them. Next time they get really bad they repeat this process and it is confirmed to them that homoeopathy really did work.

As I said in epidemiology where I am quite well trained we call this "Return to the mean" or "regression to the mean" and it is one of the root explanations for people believing everything from spirit healing to homoeopathy.

There is also placebo which can come from within as well as from outside. Placebo does not just have to be a pill one takes from a doctor. It can come in any form.

So yes I wholly agree with you that this doesnt "just happen" because of your alcohol intake that day. But I also see no reasons to think it "just happens" because of magical spirits answering your call either or that random humans have been granted psychic healing powers over the rest of us from sources unknown and unevidenced.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
You have heard of "Return to the mean" haven't you?

What this means is that people will often seek help from unusual sources when things are at their worst. Such as a condition that "flared recently". The thing about things at their worst however is that they tend to be JUST about to get better all by themselves. So people try their unusual cure and voila, it appears to work.

This is one of the reasons why things like homoeopathy are popular too for example. People get to a desperate point and say "Oh well, trying it can not hurt can it" and so they do... and because they do so JUST as their complaint peaks and was about to get better anyway... they are convinced that homoeopathy is what cured them. Next time they get really bad they repeat this process and it is confirmed to them that homoeopathy really did work.

As I said in epidemiology where I am quite well trained we call this "Return to the mean" or "regression to the mean" and it is one of the root explanations for people believing everything from spirit healing to homoeopathy.

There is also placebo which can come from within as well as from outside. Placebo does not just have to be a pill one takes from a doctor. It can come in any form.

So yes I wholly agree with you that this doesnt "just happen" because of your alcohol intake that day. But I also see no reasons to think it "just happens" because of magical spirits answering your call either or that random humans have been granted psychic healing powers over the rest of us from sources unknown and unevidenced.
Ah, your life as-explained-by-the-Nozz.

Your head clearer now, Miss Hepburn?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 AM

Not sure what the utility of that post was but I said nothing specific to the user in question. They are general points which I feel are interesting and applicable to the post above. Have you anything on topic to add yourself?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Mods,can you move this to the Pagan forum please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality