Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Honest question here. Just asking a serious question.

Is "Mormon" a negative name for you? Does it bother you when we use that term? If so, I sincerely apologize for using it prior to now. I will do my best to stop if I'm told it is. What should we call you? What title or name do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:38 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Is "Mormon" a negative name for you? Does it bother you when we use that term? If so, I sincerely apologize for using it prior to now. I will do my best to stop if I'm told it is. What should we call you? What title or name do you prefer?
Christians would be the most logical one, Vizio . . . since they are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Christians would be the most logical one, Vizio . . . since they are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Christian works until one tries to differentiate between different denominations. I suppose the question could be clarified "What is the preferred nomenclature that would be equivalent to Baptist or Catholic."

Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:

Is "Mormon" a negative name for you?
I don't see it as being negative. In the early days of the Church, it clearly was. Now, however, I think very few "Mormons" object to the term. We usually refer to ourselves as "LDS" (Latter-day Saint), but seeing as the Church has a rather prominent (at least in some parts of the country) advertising campaign known as "I'm a Mormon," I'd say there is nothing wrong with it.

There is, however, no such church as "the Mormon Church." If you were to look in a phone book, for example, under "M" for "Mormon Church," you wouldn't find a listing. The official name of the Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Quote:
Does it bother you when we use that term?
No. If you are referring to my denomination per se, either Mormon or LDS is acceptable. If I were Lutheran, you could call me either Lutheran or Christian, since I would technically be both. Since I am LDS, you can call me either LDS or Christian, since I am both.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:

In my experience, it varies. Some LDS folk find it annoying, others do not. Let's not forget that the term "Christian" was once used by unbelievers as a term of derision. The same was and probably still is true of the term "Mormon."

One important factor: On the surface, the statement, "Mormons aren't Christians" sounds like it might be a halfway credible statement. On the other hand, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is not Christian" sounds completely nonsensical.

It is also my experience that while many Christians will fervently parrot the statement, "Mormons aren't Christians" the vast majority haven't the slightest clue why.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It is also my experience that while many Christians will fervently parrot the statement, "Mormons aren't Christians" the vast majority haven't the slightest clue why.
Let me tell you about the very first time I was told that I wasn't a Christian. I was sitting on my front porch one Sunday afternoon in the summer. I was about five years old. A little neighbor boy who was about a year older than I stopped by and proudly told me, "I just got home from church. I'm a Christian!" "Oh," I said. "So am I." "No, you're not," he replied. "You're a Mormon."

Now you tell me me that this six-year-old boy had any idea whatsoever what he was talking about! Somebody had told him, "Mormons aren't Christians," and he'd just happily lapped it up. I don't know for sure who put this idea in his head, but it was almost certainly either his parents or his pastor. He certainly didn't come up with it all by himself. That was my first taste of religious stupidity, and it has stuck with me my whole life. He's probably still saying the same thing, and he probably doesn't know why he's saying it now any more than he did then. (It's a shame he was so ignorant. He was such a good-looking little boy -- my first crush, actually. I bet he turned out to be a real hunk. A bigoted hunk, but a hunk nonetheless. )

Old 06-16-2013, 11:44 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't see it as being negative. In the early days of the Church, it clearly was. Now, however, I think very few "Mormons" object to the term. We usually refer to ourselves as "LDS" (Latter-day Saint), but seeing as the Church has a rather prominent (at least in some parts of the country) advertising campaign known as "I'm a Mormon," I'd say there is nothing wrong with it.

There is, however, no such church as "the Mormon Church." If you were to look in a phone book, for example, under "M" for "Mormon Church," you wouldn't find a listing. The official name of the Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

No. If you are referring to my denomination per se, either Mormon or LDS is acceptable. If I were Lutheran, you could call me either Lutheran or Christian, since I would technically be both. Since I am LDS, you can call me either LDS or Christian, since I am both.
Thx for the response. Not that you speak for all Mormons but that gives me a good idea. If any other LDS were to tell me it bugged him i wouldn't use it.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
It's like the word "cop"; it started as an insulting label but they countered the insult by adopting the term and using it until it became normal.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's like the word "cop"; it started as an insulting label but they countered the insult by adopting the term and using it until it became normal.
Very good analogy.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
In my experience, it varies. Some LDS folk find it annoying, others do not. Let's not forget that the term "Christian" was once used by unbelievers as a term of derision. The same was and probably still is true of the term "Mormon."

One important factor: On the surface, the statement, "Mormons aren't Christians" sounds like it might be a halfway credible statement. On the other hand, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is not Christian" sounds completely nonsensical.

Unless its Christians who believe John the Baptist was the actual Messiah of Judea, since many Jews believed that John had risen again to life when they heard of the stories of Jesus (according to the Bible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality