Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times

Advertisements

Here is one for all you bible scholars.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I can't imagine Jesus really saying this. What do you all think? Is it a misinterpretation? What proof is there that it is anything other than what it is? Was it added to the Bible? If so, what proof? What does the original Greek say? Some say "I am" means God the "I AM." If so then why add no man comes to the father except through me?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Given that there is no proof that any part of the New Testament is a perfectly historical account of what any one specific person said at any one important event, the question is a bit pedantic for the general Religion and Spirituality forum. Perhaps it would make more sense in the context of the Christianity forum?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
If you wanted only replies from the Believer perspective, yes, but if one is willing to hear suggestions from outside the Box as it were, then this is the place.

The key is whether we take those words as Jesus' own. There is a particular tone, recurrent phrases and a theology that is peculiar to John that we don't find in the Synoptics. In fact we don't get a single parable reported whereas we get long sermons, not so much as hinted at in the Synoptics.

The conclusion is that, while there is a common basic story, John's gospel is full of material that differs totally from the synoptics. John's lectures, arguments and sermons are John's own and there is not much that we can say is Jesus original. In fact I might suggest that not a single word of John's reported speech is anything but John.

Therefore, it is hardly surprising that he talks about Jesus in a way that would come across as unsettling if Jesus talked that way about himself, especially in view of the coyness and secrecy about he messiahship, never mind being the only way to God, that we find in the synoptics.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I have had my moments of Cosmic Consciousness and from where I was I could have
said the same thing.

Only thru being in this "space" or place of awareness which Jesus
was in, I believe 24/7, could anyone get to or exp the Father, which I have...by His Grace on occassion.

Ya don't get to the Father unless you are transformed...in a super high state of consciousness...which Jesus was 'one with', imo.
So the way to God is thru the same path Jesus took....heightened awareness, devotion, focus and love, thru Grace..not the usual space our brain waves are functioning at ...I call it an altered state.

I consider the verse to be the most regrettful verse ever written...if Jesus even said it all all....because of the misinterpretation, thus, the divisions and killings that one verse has caused.

If this were in the Christian section, I'd never have seen it, thank you.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
That is a fairly easy one, Jesus is talking to his disciples and explaining that He is the full expression of His Father, that he is the only way to salvation. When you see me you see the Father.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Arequipa, I would love to fhear more from you on this subject, such as also providing a book with this kind of information you presented.

Miss Hepburn, I have also experienced God through meditation, though the expansion of the mind. God is LOVE, nothing more, nothing less. And all are loved without judgement. I, therefore, cannot see Jesus saying these things. I can see his being the Way because he is showing the way just as Buddha and other prophets have, but the ONLY WAY. No, unless it is his teachings that are the only way, just as all teachers like him are teaching the WAY, the same WAY. It is the added part that bothers me, because I don't believe it was ever said and could never believe it was.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM

I already know what the Christians have to say, so I posted it here.

I consider the verse to be the most regrettful verse ever written...if Jesus even said it all all....because of the misinterpretation, thus, the divisions and killings that one verse has caused.

I agree, but more so, I think the teachings on hell are far worse. This is not a teaching that would come from a God of Love.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If you wanted only replies from the Believer perspective, yes, but if one is willing to hear suggestions from outside the Box as it were, then this is the place.

The key is whether we take those words as Jesus' own. There is a particular tone, recurrent phrases and a theology that is peculiar to John that we don't find in the Synoptics. In fact we don't get a single parable reported whereas we get long sermons, not so much as hinted at in the Synoptics.

The conclusion is that, while there is a common basic story, John's gospel is full of material that differs totally from the synoptics. John's lectures, arguments and sermons are John's own and there is not much that we can say is Jesus original. In fact I might suggest that not a single word of John's reported speech is anything but John.

Therefore, it is hardly surprising that he talks about Jesus in a way that would come across as unsettling if Jesus talked that way about himself, especially in view of the coyness and secrecy about he messiahship, never mind being the only way to God, that we find in the synoptics.
I'd have to agree. John could have possibly meant that No one gets to "Father" except through the Messiah, meaning through the Jewish Religion; and perhaps that all gentiles should be like the dead to a "truly living" fundamentalist Jew. Or Jesus could have been speaking in metaphor... as in "No one gets to Brahma except through life, truth, and the way/law." Not necessarily saying he "actually" was any of those things, except as a metaphor (stand-in) in that particular teaching... Therefore, in that phrase he wasn't boasting about himself and desperately grasping for worship, but instead giving a theo-philosophical teaching.

If Jesus said he was "the only way" than it would mean that The Jews before him found "NO WAY" and that dead babies "FIND NO WAY" and that kind/good people "ARE GIVEN ONLY A NARROW WAY" ... Besides, if Jesus is his own Heavenly Father, then worshiping the Invisible Father instead of Jesus would be just like worshiping Jesus anyway. Religions over-complicate simple monotheism. Seriously, what kind of overzealous, ego-maniac wants to get "to the Father" anyway? What's good enough for you people?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-01-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Here is one for all you bible scholars.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I can't imagine Jesus really saying this. What do you all think? Is it a misinterpretation? What proof is there that it is anything other than what it is? Was it added to the Bible? If so, what proof? What does the original Greek say? Some say "I am" means God the "I AM." If so then why add no man comes to the father except through me?"
Yes--Jesus is the great "I AM". He is God. He is the only way. You will NOT get to God but through him.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
I only worship one God and that is through Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality