Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have seen many posts hating on mega-churches (Lakewood, Fellowship Church, etc.), and I have to ask why? Most of it (it seems) comes from the mega-churches "begging for money)"

It isn't like local (smaller) churches don't do the same. I use to belong to a local church, and they were always asking for money. We didn't see it as a bad thing either. There would be times when "$10 donations were required" to enter a church function. $10 donation? More like $10 fee. Both types of churches have offering and everyone gives about 10% (or more) to the church. How exactly is passing around an offering at a mega-church begging for money, but not the same at a local church?

I don't know what the big deal is with the hate of local and mega churches. I belong to Lakewood, and have a great time there every Sunday. If people can still get the same message about what God has done for us, what's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 AM

76 posts, read 209,315 times
The great thing about mega-churches, I watch TBN, is that they are so entertaining. If they did not exist and someone wrote fiction about them, folks would say the authors are making up the impossible. I think about the children whose parents can't afford to get them the basic medical care they need, the seniors living in substandard housing, alone and cold. How these folks could be helped by mega churches buying less expensive carpet, less plush chairs, by the ministers not living like kings.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrumples View Post
The great thing about mega-churches, I watch TBN, is that they are so entertaining. If they did not exist and someone wrote fiction about them, folks would say the authors are making up the impossible. I think about the children whose parents can't afford to get them the basic medical care they need, the seniors living in substandard housing, alone and cold. How these folks could be helped by mega churches buying less expensive carpet, less plush chairs, by the ministers not living like kings.
Well, I think it's a mistake to lump all mega churches together and yes, many of them do have nice facilities. But at the same time, many of them also have MAJOR outreaches to the poor in their community-food pantries, clothes closets, benevolence funds etc. ( Resources that wouldn't even exist except for a number of people banding together individually to provide it.) Many of them have a very positive impact on their community IMO even discounting whatever they are doing to impact people spiritually.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I think it's a mistake to lump all mega churches together and yes, many of them do have nice facilities. But at the same time, many of them also have MAJOR outreaches to the poor in their community-food pantries, clothes closets, benevolence funds etc. ( Resources that wouldn't even exist except for a number of people banding together individually to provide it.) Many of them have a very positive impact on their community IMO even discounting whatever they are doing to impact people spiritually.
Ditto............................................. .................................................. .....

Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
I think churches large or small should have their focus on God and not for the purpose of entertainment .As Kaykay stated large churches have outreaches to their poor communities and other positive aspects .People attending large churches should not be there for the purpose of what they can get out of the church but look for spiritual healing. A church is not about the size of a building,but the members that comprise it. If one has a good pastor ,who is all about the Lord and the members are united for the purpose of serving the Lord and helping others in their ministries then that church will be blessed.

Members of a church should give(tithe) with a cheerful heart because everything is of God and is God's. A church will grow by being faithful to God and by reaching out to others.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Guerilla wrote:
Quote:
If people can still get the same message about what God has done for us, what's the problem?
The problem is that there's a number of large religious organizations that are clearly being run as a business for the sole purpose of making a profit. The small neighborhood church seems to represent the best in Christianity. People who are neighbors and friends are getting together because they share a common belief and you don't see the pastor living in a mansion and driving around in a high priced automobile. If you wanted to be a con artist I don't think you could find a better job than being a tv preacher. I'm not saying that about all of them. Billy Graham always has lead a humble life and appears to be very sincere but people like Jimmy Swaggert, who lives like a movie star, certainly come to mind.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:32 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I honestly just don't see the point. Isn't the point of a place of worship to worship with fellowship with your fellow believers? There is no sense of community in a megachurch. Although I am not a Christian, I have attended many different Christian denomination services at various places of worship. The coldest, most offputting services have been at megachurches.

It's like temple on Yom Kippur where the house is packed but no one is really there.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Okay, I have seen many posts hating on mega-churches (Lakewood, Fellowship Church, etc.), and I have to ask why? Most of it (it seems) comes from the mega-churches "begging for money)"

It isn't like local (smaller) churches don't do the same. I use to belong to a local church, and they were always asking for money. We didn't see it as a bad thing either. There would be times when "$10 donations were required" to enter a church function. $10 donation? More like $10 fee. Both types of churches have offering and everyone gives about 10% (or more) to the church. How exactly is passing around an offering at a mega-church begging for money, but not the same at a local church?

I don't know what the big deal is with the hate of local and mega churches. I belong to Lakewood, and have a great time there every Sunday. If people can still get the same message about what God has done for us, what's the problem?

My wife and I were recently invited to a 7000 member inner city baptist mega church, and as rural catholics we were blown away by this church and the members we met.
This church started with 200 members, is now at over 7,000, and continues to grow. It provides more to the community than the local government, and it is saving souls.
The church has over 75 ministries, including 12 prison ministries and ministries for the homeless, for education, drug and alcohol abuse, marriage and on and on.
We attended a small service on a Wednesday night, and it was powerful.
This mega church is doing it right!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I like the Quaker idea of Christianity, if I were someone looking for a Christian lifestyle that's the one I would go with. It's that whole pesky non-existent God idea that keeps me from being one

Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
I think it all depends on the church. There are some mega churches in which the motives are probably not pure. On the other hand, there are a ton of little churches that are deader than dead. I guess you just need to inspect the fruit. Are souls being saved? Once saved, are they being discipled? If not and the people are just coming to be entertained, then it is a failure as a church. If they are, let them grow. They are fulfilling the great commission - how can we fault them for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality