Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 AM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
... we should not make the mistake of condemning an entire people because of the actions of a few.
When it comes to religion, I would not even condemn an entire religion because of the actions of many, if the many were following some sort of perversion of the actual teaching. Instead I would condemn the entire religion if it cannot justify its beliefs based on real world evidence and common sense and the demands of compassion and empathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM

204 posts, read 351,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The USA does show some hostility against Muslims. Here is a snippet that lists incidents at Mosques in the US. There is some level of hostility in the USA by some non-Muslims. Do not be surprised if in the near future it becomes hazardous to be a Muslim in the USA. The below listing does contain some Arab Christian Churches and a Sikh Temple as it is believed they were mistaken for Mosques.

The source link gives additional incidents. SOURCE

It does contain some Sikh Temples and Arab Christian Churches as many people seem to think all Arabs are Muslims and also often mistake Sikhs as Muslims.

True but did find this.

SOURCE

While the Terrorists that blow up Churches and Kill Christians claim to be Muslim. they have no qualms about killing Muslims. We have a common enemy. Terrorists do not follow a religion, no matter what they claim to be.
Hazardous, really? When all these things happen each day for decades then you can argue that it would be hazardous for a Muslim to live in America:

When do Americans groups kill Muslims purely because they are Muslims?
When do Americans kidnap, rape & hold ransom Muslim kids only to kill them & dump them in the sewer after getting what they wanted?
When do Americans force Muslims to leave Islam with violence like Muslims do to Christians in the Muslim world?
When do Americans throw Christian Apostate families in Jail because they converted to Islam?
When do Americans kidnap Muslim girls & force them into Marriages against their will?

You let a couple of stories overshadow the facts above and then have the nerve to argue that one day it might be dangerous for Muslims to live in America when they get treated like any other person in the USA while non Muslims get treated like dirt every single day in the Muslim world

Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,123,485 times
Quote:
I suspect that the Koran has many contradictions and inconsistencies, just as does the Christian Bible. On one hand Christian are told to love their neighbor and on the other God has slaughtered thousands of innocents and even almost entirely wiped out humanity, if we are to believe that.
Quote:
Did not American slave owners feel justified because the Bible says nothing contradicting slavery - it really accepted such a relationship as normal? Racists often pointed to Biblical passages to support their claims.
Quote:
I, personally, am fed up with religion, but we should not make the mistake of condemning an entire people because of the actions of a few. Do the Aryan Nation (Christian Identity) characters represent the majority of Christians? Not be a long shot. Well, Muslims are facing the same problem in their ranks.
Just addressing this part. Quite true, we can not judge an entire people by the actions of some. All too often we judge people based upon what we see among what we perceive as their teachings.

We each are very poor judges of the teachings of any religion, unless we ourself are living that religion. It is quite difficult to compare the teachings of one religion with another as we tend to put things into the context of the religion we ourself follow.

The religions most closely related to each other are the 4 Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Sabeean and Islam) yet each is very different from the other. Yet we all follow the same Prophets(PBUT) up to John the Baptist(PBUH). We do have a lot of similarities but too often we stress the differences and try to relate what we know to the teachings of the other 3 faiths. We really do not know the teachings of another faith unless we have lived or do live it faithfully and with full knowledge.

Each of us can only speak for ourself. We do not know what is in the hearts and thoughts of any other person. We do not know how well any other person is following the teachings of their faith.

The only choice we have is to understand that people are individuals. All of us need to understand that each person is responsible for their own actions and those actions may not reflect the teachings of the religion they follow.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong30 View Post
Hazardous, really? When all these things happen each day for decades then you can argue that it would be hazardous for a Muslim to live in America:

When do Americans groups kill Muslims purely because they are Muslims?
When do Americans kidnap, rape & hold ransom Muslim kids only to kill them & dump them in the sewer after getting what they wanted?
When do Americans force Muslims to leave Islam with violence like Muslims do to Christians in the Muslim world?
When do Americans throw Christian Apostate families in Jail because they converted to Islam?
When do Americans kidnap Muslim girls & force them into Marriages against their will?

You let a couple of stories overshadow the facts above and then have the nerve to argue that one day it might be dangerous for Muslims to live in America when they get treated like any other person in the USA while non Muslims get treated like dirt every single day in the Muslim world
1. I did not say it was happening.

2. I expressed concern it might happen. I remember what happened to American Japanese during WW2 and I am quite familiar with happened to Native Americans and the current plight of Native Americans on the Lakota resevations.. I have seen what happened to non-White people before the 1960s.

3. I can see the distrust some Americans have of all Muslims based upon what they see in some Islamic Nations.

4. I see the fear some people have of all Muslims.

Fear does lead to extreme actions in the name of protection. that can easily lead to " Do not be surprised if in the near future it becomes hazardous to be a Muslim in the USA"

Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM

45,671 posts, read 27,299,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Some are, yes. But there are many islamic countries that are very hostile to Christians and make it illegal to convert from Islam to another religion.

It's a fact that you don't see Christians having to line the streets to protect Muslims while they pray in a mosque in America.
There's a reason. There a very few accounts such as this - and a bunch of accounts were Christians are being attacked by Islam.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,361,424 times
Ideally we wouldn't cannibalize our neighbors due to ideology or fear, regardless of their religion.

It seems some people see nothing wrong with devouring the weak and spreading their resources amongst the strong.

That does seem like a good metaphor for people who attack and harm others due to their minority religion (even if that religion is inconvenient for the majority): cannibalizing the weak to spread their resources amongst the strong.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 AM

995 posts, read 957,650 times
Quote:
I suspect that the Koran has many contradictions and inconsistencies, just as does the Christian Bible. On one hand Christian are told to love their neighbor and on the other God has slaughtered thousands of innocents and even almost entirely wiped out humanity, if we are to believe that.

Did not American slave owners feel justified because the Bible says nothing contradicting slavery - it really accepted such a relationship as normal? Racists often pointed to Biblical passages to support their claims.

I, personally, am fed up with religion, but we should not make the mistake of condemning an entire people because of the actions of a few. Do the Aryan Nation (Christian Identity) characters represent the majority of Christians? Not be a long shot. Well, Muslims are facing the same problem in their ranks.

Actually, the Bible not only sanctions slavery, but the beating of slaves, and the selling of children into slavery. - But that is a different thread. We are talking about Islam in this particular thread. Islam that teaches to oppress and hate all Christians , Jews, and all other "non believers". Any Muslim that protects them is going against Muhammad's teachings. Muhammad slaughtered 1000's of Christians and Jews, the Koran and Hadiths refers the Jews as pigs, and all Christians and Jews were created, and PURPOSEFULLY led astray from Allah, so that they will all burn in Hell in the place of all Muslims. Apparently Allah loves Muslims so much, they are freed from Hell because Christians and Jews exist to take their place in Hell.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Actually, the Bible not only sanctions slavery, but the beating of slaves, and the selling of children into slavery. - But that is a different thread. We are talking about Islam in this particular thread. Islam that teaches to oppress and hate all Christians , Jews, and all other "non believers". Any Muslim that protects them is going against Muhammad's teachings. Muhammad slaughtered 1000's of Christians and Jews, the Koran and Hadiths refers the Jews as pigs, and all Christians and Jews were created, and PURPOSEFULLY led astray from Allah, so that they will all burn in Hell in the place of all Muslims. Apparently Allah loves Muslims so much, they are freed from Hell because Christians and Jews exist to take their place in Hell.
I seem to have missed the part that tells me to hate Christians, Jews and all non-Believers. Probably because I got all wrapped up in in the parts were I am commanded not to be an aggressor and to treat all people kindly. Come to think of it that is what every Muslim I know believes.

Sorry, but neither I nor anyone I know meets your criteria of a Muslim. We also seem to be reading the Qur'an and Ahadith differently than you do.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM

995 posts, read 957,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I seem to have missed the part that tells me to hate Christians, Jews and all non-Believers. Probably because I got all wrapped up in in the parts were I am commanded not to be an aggressor and to treat all people kindly. Come to think of it that is what every Muslim I know believes.

Sorry, but neither I nor anyone I know meets your criteria of a Muslim. We also seem to be reading the Qur'an and Ahadith differently than you do.

Yes. It is also a capitol crime to convert from Islam to another religion, or they either kidnap you and put you into solitary confinement for the rest of your life, or they just kill you. Muhammad committed genocide against the Jews. He slaughtered 1000's in "God's" name. It's all in the Koran and Hadiths. According to the Koran and Hadiths, allah has nothing but the fires of Hell awaiting all Christians and Jews. Allah hates them with a FURY.

It's in the Koran and Hadiths but Islam covers up for it. The Koran and Hadiths make Muhammad out to be a horrible pedophile pirate, yet they all still shower him with love and peace, and cover up for him. All you have to do is read their "Holy" books and see what a horrible excuse of a man he was. Muhammad stoned women for adultery, permitted stealing from nonbelievers, permitted lying, owned and traded slaves, beheaded 800 Jewish men and boys, murdered those that insulted him, married 13 wives and had sex slaves, slept with a 9 year old, ordered the murder of women, encouraged his men to rape enslaved women, tortured others, blessed the brutal murder of a half blind man, ordered a slave to build the very pulpit from which he preached Islam, died fat and wealthy from what was taken from others or demanded from others in tribute. He was a genocidal, murderous, sex slave raping, lying, pedophile terrorist. And that's just what the Koran and Hadiths reveal.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,993,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
When it comes to religion, I would not even condemn an entire religion because of the actions of many, if the many were following some sort of perversion of the actual teaching. Instead I would condemn the entire religion if it cannot justify its beliefs based on real world evidence and common sense and the demands of compassion and empathy.
Ha! That is impossible. The very nature of religion is unworldly.

I think most religions could not meet your test.
Not that I disagree with you, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality