Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

What's really wrong with Mormonism (and many other religions, for that matter):

Mormonism: The Not Even Once Club | Mormon Coffee

You "Join the club", kick out and ostracize those who "aren't perfect" and/or entirely conformist to the "club's" preconceived notions of propriety, and revel in your elitism.

That's god's way, ya know... gotta get 'em young too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

You "Join the club", kick out and ostracize those who "aren't perfect" and/or entirely conformist to the "club's" preconceived notions of propriety, and revel in your elitism.

It is child abuse. The emotional abuse of children.

But then, that describes much of religion.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
I don't have a problem with teaching children that there are consequences for their choices and actions. There is no need to give people a second chance if they know and accept the rules from the beginning. It sounds like a darn good book to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't have a problem with teaching children that there are consequences for their choices and actions. There is no need to give people a second chance if they know and accept the rules from the beginning. It sounds like a darn good book to me.

20yrsinBranson
...except that in the case of religion, 1 mistake costs you 1 eternity of suffering...and some people actually believe it and carry the pressure with them all their life.

Sure there are good things to teach kids not to do (and for very good reasons), but consider what is a "sin" in mormonism:

a cup of coffee.
a beer.
Wearing the wrong kind of underwear after you go through the temple.
Wearing 80% of women's clothes. (100% if you happen to be a man )
Not attending 3 hours of church meetings every Sunday.
Failing to pay tithing on 10% of everything you make during a year.
Not believing Joseph Smith was a prophet.
Not submitting yourself to church authority when expected to.

Remember, Not even once!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
...except that in the case of religion, 1 mistake costs you 1 eternity of suffering...and some people actually believe it and carry the pressure with them all their life.

Sure there are good things to teach kids not to do (and for very good reasons), but consider what is a "sin" in mormonism:

a cup of coffee.
a beer.

Remember, Not even once!
You're making Mormons out to be much much much more authoritarian, unforgiving and strict than I know for a fact that they are. Yes the LDS faith sets the bar pretty high compared to other Christian religions. That does not mean that perfection is the expectation. If you don't know that you haven't known many Mormons.

Are you an ex-Mormon and just bitter and venting or something? Seems to be typical that whatever religion an atheist used to be is their number one target for rant and ridicule. Of course, there's another reason attacking Mormonism is so popular with atheists. They know for a fact that dogmatic traditionalists will happily pile on and attack them too.

Personally, I've never really had a taste for coffee. It's about as delicious as a cup of mud to me. And I hate how coffee flavor gets tossed into ice cream and jelly beans and all kinds of other things. One bite and BLEAAACH!! And no warning quite often, as is the case with variety packs of jelly bellys. And walking past a Starbucks is about as exciting as walking past a garbage dump. Each to their own, but truth is not everyone actually likes coffee. Some of us can't stand it.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I agree with the "concerned Mormons"...the book teaches that "exact obedience" is needed, and that you can be perfect. Apparently not much about forgiveness and atonement. ..I don't like it at all...I don't like the message it gives to the vulnerable young that they must be perfect ( no human can) or they are worth less.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:50 PM

I'm still a Mormon... I was raised a mormon I have no plans to officially "leave" or ask my records be removed. I'm no believer however, and I DO follow my own path which has led to me experiencing the "authoritarian side" of the church plenty (not to mention keeping me from fitting in entirely with the atheists or "ex-mormons" ). I've found church leaders only have power over you that you give them so it's not a big deal for me to get past... they are just people who think they are right, but aren't.

Anyway... the kids book is interesting to me because so many otherwise faithful church members are angry and bothered by it. The book illustrates a bit of a generational clash that seems to be going on in the LDS church; the younger folks don't seem to accept the older folk's take on how life should be lived and what constitutes a "good mormon" in general. It will be interesting to see how it all evolves.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:

a cup of coffee.
a beer.

Remember, Not even once!
As I recall from having limited contact with LDS that parents are expected to watch their children and make certain that no laws are broken, i.e. "teach" them what is right and wrong. (novel concept, I know).

Therefore, if a child is properly supervised and taught then there is no reason to be concerned that they will "sin". Once a child reaches majority in the church then they are responsible for their own actions.

People rarely "accidentally" drink coffee or beer so I don't see what the big deal is. It's all about choices. If an adult cannot live with the teachings they are free to choose another religion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Yes....we should be accepting of people that are less than perfect...but having said that, I quit smoking 20 years ago due to some good old fashioned legalism. I wanted to be around my new friends more than I wanted the cigarettes.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:19 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:

I read the article. I will warn that I don't consider myself a part of organized religion. I agree this is a HORRIBLE book for raising religious children. Where is the concept of redemption? What about a story of people who were doing wrong but "came to Christ" and turned away from "their wicked ways"? Very seldom does that process happen without future sins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality