Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times

Advertisements

"What the Church doesn't want you to know...."

It has often been emphasized that Christianity is unlike any other religion, for it stands or falls by certain events which are alleged to have occurred during a short period of time some 20 centuries ago. Those stories are presented in the New Testament, and as new evidence is revealed it will become clear that they do not represent historical realities. The Church agrees, saying:

Quote:
"Our documentary sources of knowledge about the origins of Christianity and its earliest development are chiefly the New Testament Scriptures, the authenticity of which we must, to a great extent, take for granted."
(Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. iii, p. 712)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Hmmm...maybe they ARE lurching their way into the 20th century.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"What the Church doesn't want you to know...."

It has often been emphasized that Christianity is unlike any other religion, for it stands or falls by certain events which are alleged to have occurred during a short period of time some 20 centuries ago. Those stories are presented in the New Testament, and as new evidence is revealed it will become clear that they do not represent historical realities.

The Church agrees, saying:Our documentary sources of knowledge about the origins of Christianity and its earliest development are chiefly the New Testament Scriptures, the authenticity of which we must, to a great extent, take for granted."
(Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. iii, p. 712)
I am confused. Or perhaps you are. Your cite does not even hint that the Catholic church doubts the Authenticity of NT Scriptures. Taking for granted usually means we know it is so.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:39 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,345 times
"Taken for granted" means that it has been around for so long that it is assumed to be so. They are saying that they have not researched the matter.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:39 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Taking for granted usually means we know it is so.
Not correct.

It means in the absence of knowing, we must assume it is so.

This is another illustration of a point I have made in several threads...there is a huge gap between the manner in which scripture gets taught and discussed in seminaries and divinity colleges, and what gets presented from the pulpits on Sundays. Your priests and ministers know things that they very much hope you do not, and they aren't about to bring it up if you do not.

On their behalf....without exception, every priest and minister whom I've encountered and with whom I have raised the issue , has been perfectly candid with me about it, admitting that they have awareness of modern Biblical scholarship, awareness of the shaky grounds upon which the major documents stand, and awareness of the political nature of the triumph of Christianity.

Don't take my word for it...ask your pastors about it. I've yet to encounter a dishonest one in this regard.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
"Taken for granted" means that it has been around for so long that it is assumed to be so. They are saying that they have not researched the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Not correct.

Yet no hint of doubt on the part of the RCC as the OP alleges.

Wishful thinking on his or her part, perhaps you folk also.

Pure speculation is not very convincing when it come to matters such as these. The idea that the NT scriptures are not true is based on wishful atheistic thinking. Not much else.
Quote:
Not correct.

This is another illustration of a point I have made in several threads...there is a huge gap between the manner in which scripture gets taught and discussed in seminaries and divinity colleges, and what gets presented from the pulpits on Sundays. Your priests and ministers know things that they very much hope you do not, and they aren't about to bring it up if you do not.

On their behalf....without exception, every priest and minister whom I've encountered and with whom I have raised the issue , has been perfectly candid with me about it, admitting that they have awareness of modern Biblical scholarship, awareness of the shaky grounds upon which the major documents stand, and awareness of the political nature of the triumph of Christianity.

Don't take my word for it...ask your pastors about it. I've yet to encounter a dishonest one in this regard.
I don't think you are being honest or you have talked to some odd fellows or gals. My experience has been otherwise. I have been involved with no less than 30 churches in five different towns and no pastor, not one, has ever said what you allege. Sorry, but I have to call you out.

This is the crap of which the internet is all about on certain matters. Just saying something and posting it does not make it true.

This thread was dead from post #1.

Now if the cite actually said "The RCC doubts the NT scriptures are true" we'd have something to discuss.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-23-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 05:53 PM

63,837 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Not correct.

This is true, Grand . . . but I have encountered some who do in fact deny it for some reason. Scholarship is scholarship and it shouldn't be disregarded to retain falsehoods that have been in existence for a long time. But apparently retention of the faith that has been promoted for 2000+years is considered more important than the truth.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
The Catholic Encyclopedia is not authoritative, not an official proclamation of the faith.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is authoritative, with a pope's imprimatur. Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText
Quote:
II. Inspiration and Truth of Sacred Scripture

105 God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."69

"For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and have been handed on as such to the Church herself."70

106 God inspired the human authors of the sacred books. "To compose the sacred books, God chose certain men who, all the while he employed them in this task, made full use of their own faculties and powers so that, though he acted in them and by them, it was as true authors that they consigned to writing whatever he wanted written, and no more."71

Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

This is the crap of which the internet is all about on certain matters. Just saying something and posting it does not make it true.
I have made an accurate report of my experiences.

You seem to specialize in insults and name calling without providing anything of substance.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is true, Grand . . . but I have encountered some who do in fact deny it for some reason.
Perhaps I have just been uncommonly fortunate in my encounters. That I have not run into any of the deniers at least suggests that they would represent the minority.

Modern Biblical scholarship is standard fare at most seminaries and divinity colleges, it might be the case that the deniers got their credentials from questionable institutions. Someone coming out of one of the major colleges who claims to be unaware of these matters would have little credibility. A graduate of Joe-Ed & Dixie's Plano East Blood of the Sacred Lamb Divinity Temple and Auto-Repair.....might be on the level with such denials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality