Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Elephants and other animals are not going to save mankind. God, through His Son Jesus Christ has already done everything to save mankind. No need for reincarnation either. God will save all mankind (1 Timothy 2:4-6; 4:10).
Gansesh is a god and through the mercy of his good pal Vishnu, HE will guide us to our next incarnation as a sacred cow on the lovely streets of Nagpur, India as reward for our good deeds in this life. (Bhagavad Gita, verse... um... I forget. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Heh, you're like a judge presiding over his own murder trial.

*gavel bang* I'm innocent. Case closed!

There are few things worse in any discussion than someone who tries to end the debate with a series of self-declared victories. The only person who is keeping score is you, and who knows what your criteria is for your scoring system.

If the poster is an atheist, -100 points
If the poster disagrees with me, -1000 points
If the poster disagrees with the Bible, -500 points
If the poster accepts evolution, -550,126 points

... or some such. I dunnnae. I doubt you know either since you're just making stuff up.

But if you're in the lead by only 100 points regarding the Great Flood, well, this ought to tie it up ... at the very least:

(Warning: The following link contains science and may be difficult for sensitive audiences. Viewer discretion is advised)
The Math of the Great Flood
I was just reading last night, in Popular Science, an article proposing a world-wide flood of Noah proportions by studying all the same anomalies all over the world. Of course these studies were done by eminent scientists. And of course that wouldn't matter to you. You'll just find something flippant to say, something cheesy, something easy, something queasy, something sleazy.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Gansesh is a god and through the mercy of his good pal Vishnu, HE will guide us to our next incarnation as a sacred cow on the lovely streets of Nagpur, India as reward for our good deeds in this life. (Bhagavad Gita, verse... um... I forget. )
You also have some other imaginary friends too I bet.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
I was just reading last night, in Popular Science, an article proposing a world-wide flood of Noah proportions by studying all the same anomalies all over the world. Of course these studies were done by eminent scientists. And of course that wouldn't matter to you. You'll just find something flippant to say, something cheesy, something easy, something queasy, something sleazy.
Well, as creationists love to point out, science is not always right. Funny how you'll hang your hat on the words of science when it agrees with your religion, but patently reject it when science contradicts it.

Care to explain why that is?

Besides there may have been catastrophic floods during the last Ice Age - certainly too early for the Bible. There may have been other catastrophic floods in the form of portal collapses. For instance, when the Atlantic flooded into the mostly dry Mediterranean basin when the Gibralter portal collapsed. Or when the Black Sea rose hundreds of feet when the Mediterranean Sea flooded into the Black Sea basin when the Dardanelles portal collapsed.

Do I think that there was a flood so great that it covered even the top of Mount Everest? No ... that's nonsense. Do I think that only 8 people survived these floods? No. Do I think Noah crammed millions of animals onto a 450 foot boat? No. Do I think the ENTIRE world was populated by sinners except for 8 people who all happened to be members of the same family? No. Do I think it rained over 8,000 inches per day for 40 days to flood the earth? No.

Therefore, I will continue to say something flippant, something cheesy and sleazy whenever anyone expects me to believe in something that is, quite honestly, ridiculous.

Perhaps instead of "cheesy" and "sleazy," a more apt rhyme would be that I say what is "actual" and "factual.'

Last edited by Shirina; 12-30-2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: My original post will be published in Popular Science next month.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
To squeal to the Mods. let alone me about a quip of Shirina's, is pathetic.
1. I didn't squeal to the Mods.
2. You just proved my point. It's O.K. for Shirina to use impish cutting remarks but not for me. Okay, I see the club mentality. Carry on.

Quote:
I have probably been harsh enough, (I explain rather than pontificate. It is you, with plonking faith claims and accusation of ignorace for anyone who questions them, who apes the pontiff) so I will just say, that your responses so far have been inadequate for claiming any kind of victory.
Again, you prove my point.

Quote:
We have discussed this Genesis - v - evolution thing ad nauseam, and it isn't even relevant to atheism. Evolution does not mean a god couldn't have done it, and disproving evolution (supposing that was even possible now - but some people apparently think that the clock can be turned back on heliocentricity) would not prove Creation as a default, but of course it would be waved about as the only theory on the table.
Yes we have discussed evolution. Evolution according to the comics evolutionists are so famous for printing is so bogus. But they say a picture is worth a thousand words. If only there were a thousand synonyms for "stupid." I mean really. Do you REALLY BELIEVE a few single celled amoebas mapped out the whole genome of millions of different animals from the giant land animals to the teeny bed bug to the great sea monsters to the microscopic sea critters? Really? I mean REALLY? And do you really believe those amoebas got together and created fish and that those fish crawled out of the water to become chimps to become humans? Really? IF that is the case, this conversation is over with you because I see I am dealing with someone who is devoid of critical thinking.

Quote:
But, if it done yet again, with the claims intended to show that Genesis does not conflict with the finding of science (let me point out that the sites you posted did not disprove evolution, rather, by fiddling the terms and intentions of genesis, it tried to get the Creation story to fit in with evolution -theory, though as I said, only by overlooking some real problems) then I am sure we would examine each one and respond.
The two links I provided was to prove there was no contradiction between Genesis 2 and Genesis 1 which someone here said there was.

Quote:
But your method of winning a fight by giving us the address of two bods who you claim would knock us for six, if we could be bothered to go and pick a fight with them, does not actually gain you anything, other than a reputation for unrestrained craftiness.
If people can't take the time to read the two links I posted that is their problem. No craftiness was intended. Why should I re-invent the wheel by posting all their stuff here on this board?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Well, as creationists love to point out, science is not always right. Funny how you'll hang your hat on the words of science when it agrees with your religion, but patently reject it when science contradicts it.

Care to explain why that is?

Besides there may have been catastrophic floods during the last Ice Age - certainly too early for the Bible. There may have been other catastrophic floods in the form of portal collapses. For instance, when the Atlantic flooded into the mostly dry Mediterranean basin when the Gibralter portal collapsed. Or when the Black Sea rose hundreds of feet when the Mediterranean Sea flooded into the Black Sea basin when the Dardanelles portal collapsed.

Do I think that there was a flood so great that it covered even the top of Mount Everest? No ... that's nonsense. Do I think that only 8 people survived these floods? No. Do I think Noah crammed millions of animals onto a 450 foot boat? No. Do I think the ENTIRE world was populated by sinners except for 8 people who all happened to be members of the same family? No. Do I think it rained over 8,000 inches per day for 40 days to flood the earth? No.

Therefore, I will continue to say something flippant, something cheesy and sleazy whenever anyone expects me to believe in something that is, quite honestly, ridiculous.
Dear Shirina,
How tall was Mt. Everest in Noah's day?

You can't say that since it has been rising 0.1576 inches each year that that has ALWAYS been its rate of rise. It may have been a few hundred feet tall in Noah's day.

Do you think I believe Noah crammed millions of animals on the ark? Noah's ark may have been longer than 450 feet if you go by the royal cubit.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
1. I didn't squeal to the Mods.
2. You just proved my point. It's O.K. for Shirina to use impish cutting remarks but not for me. Okay, I see the club mentality. Carry on.
If you want to use "cutting remarks," be my guest. I'm a big girl. I can take it.

Quote:
Yes we have discussed evolution. Evolution according to the comics evolutionists are so famous for printing is so bogus. But they say a picture is worth a thousand words. If only there were a thousand synonyms for "stupid." I mean really. Do you REALLY BELIEVE a few single celled amoebas mapped out the whole genome of millions of different animals from the giant land animals to the teeny bed bug to the great sea monsters to the microscopic sea critters?
Oh right, here we go ...

"But I was reading in Popular Science just the other day how eminent scientists said there was a big flood, so it must be true."

And

"I don't care what eminent scientists think - evolution is just plain stupid!"

Your arguments have all the consistency of the weather along the Great Lakes.

Quote:
Really? I mean REALLY? And do you really believe those amoebas got together and created fish and that those fish crawled out of the water to become chimps to become humans? Really? IF that is the case, this conversation is over with you because I see I am dealing with someone who is devoid of critical thinking.
And you really expect me to think that you actually know anything about evolution? Really? I mean REALLY?

Quote:
The two links I provided was to prove there was no contradiction between Genesis 2 and Genesis 1 which someone here said there was.
Do you know what a theologian actually is? Someone who has a degree in making stuff up.

Quote:
If people can't take the time to read the two links I posted that is their problem. No craftiness was intended. Why should I re-invent the wheel by posting all their stuff here on this board?
"If people can't take the time to" read actual science books on evolution, why should I "re-invent the wheel" by posting how you're so far off in left field that you're standing in the wrong ball park?

Not that you would EVER believe what "eminent scientsts" say ... right?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Dear Shirina,
How tall was Mt. Everest in Noah's day?

You can't say that since it has been rising 0.1576 inches each year that that has ALWAYS been its rate of rise. It may have been a few hundred feet tall in Noah's day.

Do you think I believe Noah crammed millions of animals on the ark? Noah's ark may have been longer than 450 feet if you go by the royal cubit.
Wow, now I've heard everything ...

Wait, how do YOU know that Everest has been rising 0.1576 inches each year? You didn't get that figure from SCIENTISTS, did you?

Tut, tut, Eusebius, you should know better than to take the word of science. It champions evolution, remember? And evolution is just plain STUPID when compared with magic and invisible gods! Now, if the Bible said that Everest was rising 0.1576 inches per year because angels were underneath it pushing it up, THEN you could believe it ... but if you're relying on science, well, I don't believe you. Give me a supernatural explanation or else it's just a load of hogwash.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
And you really expect me to think that you actually know anything about evolution? Really? I mean REALLY?
Sometime, if you have a t.v., search for "The World in Two Hours." It is done by scientists. Of course they can't PROVE what they say about evolution. All they can do is SAY what they believe and use clever cartoons to try to make people think this is how it all really happened.

They actually said and showed by slick cartoons that amoebas got together and created the fish, the fish crawled out of the water (they didn't say how many did but there must have been a male and female fish crawl out) and these fish actually became chimps. They said (I'm not making this up) later that the grass grew taller and taller until it was above the heads of the chimps so the chimps grew taller and became humans. Really, I'm not kidding. Scientists actually said that. The sad thing though is that most people do not have a set of critical thinking tools to see through the stupidity of these scientists and their slick marketing of nonsense.

Quote:
Do you know what a theologian actually is? Someone who has a degree in making stuff up.
Theology (from Greek Θεός meaning "god" and -λογία, -logy, meaning "study of") is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university or school of divinity or seminary.[1]

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Wow, now I've heard everything ...

Wait, how do YOU know that Everest has been rising 0.1576 inches each year? You didn't get that figure from SCIENTISTS, did you?
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/fe...oof_start.html

Quote:
Tut, tut, Eusebius, you should know better than to take the word of science. It champions evolution, remember? And evolution is just plain STUPID when compared with magic and invisible gods! Now, if the Bible said that Everest was rising 0.1576 inches per year because angels were underneath it pushing it up, THEN you could believe it ... but if you're relying on science, well, I don't believe you. Give me a supernatural explanation or else it's just a load of hogwash.

It's Okay Shirina if you don't know how tall Mt. Everest was in Noah's day. Yes, of course the flood waters covered all the mountains, but the question is: How tall were those mountains. You don't know. I'll give you a rather subtle hint: Mt. Everest was not at it's current height in Noah's day that it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality