Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM

505 posts, read 575,559 times

Advertisements

I've spent the last 6 months on the atheist/agnostic forum and the S and P forums witnessing to atheists. I will never get that time back. NOTHING gets through to them. They WILL NOT accept any scripture or verse from the Bible. Eliminating the big bang theory as the creation of the universe didn't work either. They want evidence of God other than the fact that ALL CREATION is evidence of a creator. They will not allow anything into their mind or heart concerning God.
As a Christian, how would you tell the atheists here that God is real? I give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
It's not possible Joint heir with jesus...an old book just don't cut it for some of us...some people just can't have blind faith in something or someone they've never met and who only exists in a book written by man.
Maybe it's got something to do with the many many people who do profess to love Jesus, but then go on to do things that the bible says are wrong, and sinful.
Maybe it's that picking and choosing when and what to embrace and adhere to (from the bible).. something that most christians seem to do... that turns atheists off.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
There are a few arguments that I've never seen an atheist really address:

The Cosmological Argument -- the argument that because the universe exists, then a creator must exist.

The Transcendental Argument - the argument that because laws of logic exist (law of identity, law of excluded middle), then an intelligent mind must exist.

The Moral Argument -- the argument that because there are moral absolutes, there has to be a source for the moral absolute.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,933,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
I've spent the last 6 months on the atheist/agnostic forum and the S and P forums witnessing to atheists.

Isn't that against the TOS? (proselytizing)

I will never get that time back. NOTHING gets through to them. They WILL NOT accept any scripture or verse from the Bible.

I would hazard a guess that if a person goes as far as to say they are athiest, they (we) have already made up their (our) minds on the subject, usually after studying the subject in depth.

Eliminating the big bang theory as the creation of the universe didn't work either. They want evidence of God other than the fact that ALL CREATION is evidence of a creator. They will not allow anything into their mind or heart concerning God. As a Christian, how would you tell the atheists here that God is real?

I give up.

Thank you.
Adding text here to get the thing to work.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There are a few arguments that I've never seen an atheist really address:

The Cosmological Argument -- the argument that because the universe exists, then a creator must exist.

The Transcendental Argument - the argument that because laws of logic exist (law of identity, law of excluded middle), then an intelligent mind must exist.

The Moral Argument -- the argument that because there are moral absolutes, there has to be a source for the moral absolute.

Take the first one: Which one? I don't know which one you think says that because the universe exists that a creator must exist. If your are talking about KCA nothing is further from the truth. It just says, unconvincingly, that the Universe has a cause - it does not specify that cause.

I used to think these were good arguments but upon further thinking they are not.

So, those arguments did not keep me a theist.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
As a Christian, how would you tell the atheists here that God is real?
I don't.

I live a life that demonstrates I believe he is.

One thing I would never do, were I an atheist, is accept that God is real and someone I want to know by reading the posts of the Christians on this forum. They must think that all Christians do is tell each other, "You're wrong!" "Am not!" "Are too!" "Oh yeah? Well you're wrong and I'm done with this thread!!" (You can hear the foot stomping through the ether.)

Would YOU want to hang out with a bunch of people who argue about who is going to hell?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-04-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Quote:
I've spent the last 6 months on the atheist/agnostic forum and the S and P forums witnessing to atheists. I will never get that time back. NOTHING gets through to them. They WILL NOT accept any scripture or verse from the Bible. Eliminating the big bang theory as the creation of the universe didn't work either. They want evidence of God other than the fact that ALL CREATION is evidence of a creator. They will not allow anything into their mind or heart concerning God.
As a Christian, how would you tell the atheists here that God is real? I give up.
Now think of someone that is a different religion than yours having the same exact conversation with others of the same religion about how they can't get christians to accept what they are saying. Nothing gets through to them. They won't accept any verses from our holy book. Etc.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post

Take the first one: Which one? I don't know which one you think says that because the universe exists that a creator must exist. If your are talking about KCA nothing is further from the truth. It just says, unconvincingly, that the Universe has a cause - it does not specify that cause.

I used to think these were good arguments but upon further thinking they are not.

So, those arguments did not keep me a theist.
The simplified argument is that, yes. Logically, everything that exists must have a cause.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Quote:
The simplified argument is that, yes. Logically, everything that exists must have a cause.
How about god?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:15 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
So you believe that God has a cause?

Wait, I have been down this road before - here come the exceptions. I am not going to fall for this again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality