Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times

Advertisements

This is just a general question for anyone who believes in a religion. What criteria did you use to decide that out of all the religions in the world, the one you are currently following is the right one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
I read the Bible and believed it. I also read the Book of Mormon, and did quite a bit of research Moderator cut: deleted

Ultimately, God chose me--I didn't choose him. (Eph 1:4, John 1:12)

Last edited by june 7th; 02-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Offensive to Mormon members who do not regard their denomination as "psuedo." Pls refer to Sticky. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I read the Bible and believed it. I also read the Book of Mormon, and did quite a bit of research Moderator cut: Orphaned
But what about all of the other religions in the world? How do you know that Christianity is the correct one without investigating all of the other options?

Last edited by june 7th; 02-08-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
I read the Bible and believed it. I also read the Book of Mormon, Moderator cut: orphaned
Well, yes, and others read THEIR religious books and believed THEM. If you were to read their books, you would ask, "Who could believe such things?" Well, they ask the same of you.

Quote:
Wow.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-11-2014 at 05:30 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
I chose every other religion, except for the God of the Bible because I had an aversion to it. I tried Mormonism, Wicca, and Buddhism because you usually choose something that fits your interests and those fit mine.

God introduced himself one day after I decided to read the Bible because my boyfriend (now husband) gave me one. Then I came across many promises like "I am the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the father but by me." So I figured I was on the right path.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
I think we all know that it's mostly about cultural indoctrination. It's a lot easier to get your hands on a Bible in the U.S. than it is a Quran, a Torah, or, heaven forbid, the Egyptian Book of the Dead or the Hindu Vedas or other non-Christian texts. It's not hard to find copies of Greek and Roman religious texts, but they're always labeled as "myths" on the front cover, so you're fighting an uphill battle right from the start.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
But what about all of the other religions in the world? How do you know that Christianity is the correct one without investigating all of the other options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, yes, and others read THEIR religious books and believed THEM. If you were to read their books, you would ask, "Who could believe such things?" Well, they ask the same of you.

Wow.
Ultimately, I believe it's because God chooses his believers. Yes--God chose me. He also chooses the rest of the people that believe in him. That's what the bible says.

Notice, I'm not suggesting that in any way, shape, or form that I'm bright enough or good enough to choose God, or to be chosen by him.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I think we all know that it's mostly about cultural indoctrination. It's a lot easier to get your hands on a Bible in the U.S. than it is a Quran, a Torah, or, heaven forbid, the Egyptian Book of the Dead or the Hindu Vedas or other non-Christian texts. It's not hard to find copies of Greek and Roman religious texts, but they're always labeled as "myths" on the front cover, so you're fighting an uphill battle right from the start.
yet....we have examples in this country of people that do choose to become Muslim, Mormon, Buddhist, etc. And we have examples of people in predominantly Muslim or Buddhist countries that choose to become Christian. The Christian church is growing very rapidly in China right now.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
yet....we have examples in this country of people that do choose to become Muslim, Mormon, Buddhist, etc. And we have examples of people in predominantly Muslim or Buddhist countries that choose to become Christian. The Christian church is growing very rapidly in China right now.
Sure, some people do convert from one religion to another - or move from belief to non-believe and vice-versa.

But by and large, almost every nation has a strong majority religion, and that is because of all the cultural pressures placed upon us to adopt whatever religion is prevalent. There are a few exceptions, but this is usually because of heavy migration patterns (France becoming increasingly Muslim isn't due to thousands of French Christians converting to Islam, but because of immigration).

Where I currently live, I'd probably be lynched if anyone thought I was a Muslim, for instance, and I'd have to drive at least 60 miles to find the nearest mosque. I couldn't even tell you where the nearest synagogue is, but even in this little town of approximately 400 people, there are no less than a dozen churches in and around town. So where do you think kids will end up going to worship? Yeah, a church.

There isn't a lot of access to non-Christian faiths unless you live in a city with a lot of multi-culturalism (something that is almost totally absent from small town America).

Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Sure, some people do convert from one religion to another - or move from belief to non-believe and vice-versa.

But by and large, almost every nation has a strong majority religion, and that is because of all the cultural pressures placed upon us to adopt whatever religion is prevalent. There are a few exceptions, but this is usually because of heavy migration patterns (France becoming increasingly Muslim isn't due to thousands of French Christians converting to Islam, but because of immigration).

Where I currently live, I'd probably be lynched if anyone thought I was a Muslim, for instance, and I'd have to drive at least 60 miles to find the nearest mosque. I couldn't even tell you where the nearest synagogue is, but even in this little town of approximately 400 people, there are no less than a dozen churches in and around town. So where do you think kids will end up going to worship? Yeah, a church.

There isn't a lot of access to non-Christian faiths unless you live in a city with a lot of multi-culturalism (something that is almost totally absent from small town America).
OK? and that proves what? In my rural community in the middle of nowhere the predominant religion is "nothing-ism". Or a cultural Christianity where they do nothing but attend church now and then, get married in a church, and their funeral in a church. For all intents and purposes they might as well be any other religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality