Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 03:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
At least the Christians are doing it because they actually believe in something. They're not like the folks that claim to believe in nothing, then want to tell the world about it. That's the thing that's hard to believe...the idea of going to that extent to preach a disbelief.
Atheists believe in something. We believe you should be good for goodness sake, not because you fear burning in hell for eternity. You don't need to worship a deity in order to be a kind, loving person.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Atheists believe in something. We believe you should be good for goodness sake, not because you fear burning in hell for eternity. You don't need to worship a deity in order to be a kind, loving person.
So that's your "gospel"? To be good for goodness' sakes? Why aren't more atheists good?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
So that's your "gospel"? To be good for goodness' sakes? Why aren't more atheists good?
How many do you know who aren't?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How many do you know who aren't?
I don't believe anyone is truly good. That includes atheists and non-atheists. I guarantee you would not pass God's standard of "good".

Old 01-30-2014, 03:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
I'm not angry about this. I don't think many people are. If anything, I'm perplexed. I just can't relate to the crazy thinking that is behind it.
You aren't angry, yet you are the one calling the billboard harassment.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
I don't believe anyone is truly good. That includes atheists and non-atheists. I guarantee you would not pass God's standard of "good".
It must be comforting for you to know your god's mind.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
You couldn't possibly think someone who doesn't believe in your God would care about that.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Atheists believe in something. We believe you should be good for goodness sake
You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

He's making a list
And checking it twice;
He's gonna find out
Who's naughty and nice

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake! (if you're only good for selfish reasons, you're not good)
Ohh! You better watch out!
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why

Old 01-30-2014, 04:47 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
I'm not angry about this. I don't think many people are. If anything, I'm perplexed. I just can't relate to the crazy thinking that is behind it.
It's not really crazy thinking. While you generally won't be outspoken about things you don't believe in, religion pervades society much more than other claims. For example, most people that believe Elvis is still alive aren't trying to insert those beliefs into the government or are trying to convert others to their way of thinking. If someone did do that then you would probably be more vocal about your criticisms of the belief that Elvis is still alive. This is why atheists are outspoken about their disbelief in religion than their disbelief in Santa.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It's not really crazy thinking. While you generally won't be outspoken about things you don't believe in, religion pervades society much more than other claims. For example, most people that believe Elvis is still alive aren't trying to insert those beliefs into the government or are trying to convert others to their way of thinking. If someone did do that then you would probably be more vocal about your criticisms of the belief that Elvis is still alive. This is why atheists are outspoken about their disbelief in religion than their disbelief in Santa.
Agreed. As Vizio said earlier, he wouldn't put up billboards about the FSM, but then again, I'm sure he and his people would be vocal if the FSM "believers" became the majority and started pushing their agenda on everyone else. You have to understand people like Vizio, there is nothing you can ask that he will give a straight answer to, he just uses bible babble and personal beliefs and snide remarks. He has no facts and regardless of how silly he looks or sounds, he will keep spouting his junk. His mind is closed, period. If they weren't good to laugh at, I would ignore his posts altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality