Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Devil?
Yes 23 28.05%
No 59 71.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Lol Shirina, I think you read way more into my post. Nobody is trying to take away your rock n roll music. Christians founded this country which is why we enjoy the freedoms we do have. Have fun and do what you think is best for yourself (and your state of mind).

First off Christians didn't found this country,this country was already occupied by millions of people and had been for thousands of years before any Christians came here.we had our music also which was the original music of this land and there was nothing that was evil about it. Oh and by the way, in order to believe in the devil you have to be a Christian, because the devil is a Christian invention,just like that sacred book.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Absolutely not. The devil is a Christian god and I am not a Christian.

Just one more odd thing about them. They take the god of everything and split him into two dieties, one good, one evil. Like they can't believe that the god of everything really is the god of everything.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Absolutely not. The devil is a Christian god and I am not a Christian.

Just one more odd thing about them. They take the god of everything and split him into two dieties, one good, one evil. Like they can't believe that the god of everything really is the god of everything.
Heh, of course not. They can't have an omni-benevolent God who also created evil, suffering, hate, anger, torment, longing, jealousy, envy, rage, wrath, natural disasters, disease, psychoses, and a plethora of other negative things.

So they tried (and utterly failed, IMO, from a logical standpoint) to split off negativity from their omni-benevolent God so as not to sully his perfect omni-benevolent nature.

Thus everything bad either comes from Original Sin, which is somehow humanity's fault despite the fact that God STILL had to create the concept of disobedience while simultaneously fllooding humanity to overflowing with curiosity thus stacking the deck against Man from the get-go.

Or ... it comes from Satan, the master of all the bad things we can't really control like disasters and disease and psychotic breaks with reality. It's Satan, the name so often whispered by Christians lest they draw Old Scratch's attention right then and there.

But Christians rarely want to address where Satan actually came from or answer why an omniscient God would create an arch-angel he KNEW would rebel and turn to evil. And where did the concept of "evil" come from in the first place? Oh, and why, if heaven is so perfect, would Lucifer even WANT to rebel? Does that mean one can actually feel dissatisfied in heaven? Can wars exist there? And if they can, that also means death, pain, hate, anger, etc. must also exist there since war breeds those emotions.

Oh yes ... the existence of Satan really opens up a can of worms the size of Petronas Towers, and you get to really see the Religious Rationalization Machine working in overdrive trying to explain away all of these paradoxes, contradictions, and enigmas. If you look closely, you can see steam coming from the gears of the Machine since it must work that hard to come up with anything even remotely believable - and by remotely, I mean only fundamentalists would believe it.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
[quote=Shirina;33505537]
Quote:
Why on earth would any group target metal music when it isn't even all that big right now? I think they are targeting the music, and some even hate Christian rock because it's still rock.
I remember when Stryper's album To Hell with the Devil hit mainstream audiences. Even though they weren't my cup of tea (I preferred secular metal), I showed my fundamentalist mother the album and let her listen to a few songs because I wanted to show her that not all metal/rock was "of the devil" as she called it. She said they were still ungodly because of their dress, make up, and hair, and that no respectable God fearing Christian would allow themselves to look like that. They weren't "real" Christians, and they were looking to pull people away from Christ under the guise of Christianity. Moral of the story, I guess, is that it's not really the lyrics that set fundies off, but more so the appearance and culture of the rock lifestyle itself. She knew nothing about the band, nor did she even pretend to care what their true message was. All she saw was their appearence and judged. Throughout my life, I've met many fundies that believe there is no such thing as "Christian rock", much less Christian metal.

Quote:
What I know for certain is that, when I was in high school, we had to fight to keep music in our school, to keep our prom, and to keep the weekly teen dances we had at the firehall. Why? Because a fascist pastor moved into town and tried to ban it all using the same arguments you're using and then some.
Did you go and cut footloose?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Atheism is all inclusive, no gods, no angels, no demons, no devils.
Sounds more non-inclusive to me.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I voted yes. But my concept of a devil is not in the Christian sense. Shaytan can be any sapient being that has free will, including our self. We all are subject to being influenced to do wrong by a shaytan,

Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Absolutely!

I believe that Satan is a real person. He is totally sinful, deceptive, and powerful. I believe that he is the leader of a vast host of evil spirits who seek to keep unsaved people lost, and to divide and deceive individual Christians.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Absolutely!

I believe that Satan is a real person. He is totally sinful, deceptive, and powerful. I believe that he is the leader of a vast host of evil spirits who seek to keep unsaved people lost, and to divide and deceive individual Christians.
Why do you think the bible god created him - and his evil host?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Absolutely!

There is evidence of those evil spirits right here on the CD religion forum! They're the ones that make people post things that are grounded in common sense, facts, logic, reason, and critical thinking. Damn those evil spirits! Be gone, I say, be gone!

Old 02-17-2014, 03:27 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times
The devil really blew it when he lost that fiddle contest to that kid down in Georgia. He has never been the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality