Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,943,050 times

Advertisements

If you knew the things Jesus taught under the tutelage of the Holy Spirit , Jesus provided His believers, the basis of faith in God means actually putting to feet the things Jesus said, rather than accumulating intellectual candy.
I have known of children that were spiritual giants, and older adults that were intellectual garbage scow.
The strength of one's walk depends on obedience to the Holy Spirit, not their intellect.
The holy Spirit recognizes those that have a hunger a desperation for knowing the will of God.
Desperation is a part of it yes , but it is a welcome attitude an appetite to include God in all of the things in a person's life .
What does you appetite render you ?
The motivation for your actions and investments, noble or not God knows the truth Matthew 7; Jesus said ,"not every one that says to me Lord lord ,will enter the kingdom of heave ,but he that does the will of the Father......" Obedience is required not intellect . "and many will say ,"but we have done many works in your name ,casting out demons and healing the sick".
Knowing the power of Jesus name, but operating it with out His govern, is pretty much Identification theft .
Operating under false pretext.
The act of repentance ,is turning from self govern to God govern.
One cannot be obedient with out instruction from God.
I need God's instruction for whom to pray for and how He want's it done.
I dare not pick from scriptures and attempt to use them as a incantation to manipulate God. but we see a lot of this .
That is not faith in God, that's faith in an incantation drawn from scriptures .
Jesus said, "the way is narrow and FEW there be that find it."
It is because men choose to make a religion ,God did not intend.
The intension is a relationship that God be your teacher.
Only Jesus made possible .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 AM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Obedience is required not intellect.
What proper role, if any, does intellect play in your worldview?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:33 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,627,137 times
Quote:
However, if a religious person is serious, their religion becomes a part of them, rather that a burden they must bear.
A very salient point...I concur. And to paraphrase Handel in 'Messiah' 'the yoke is easy, the burden light'. Point to ponder!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:11 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,222,719 times
Quote:
If you knew the things Jesus taught under the tutelage of the Holy Spirit , Jesus provided His believers, the basis of faith in God means actually putting to feet the things Jesus said, rather than accumulating intellectual candy.
Oh I do but these are claims w/o substance. Much attributed to him as far as wise sayings are found in other mythical characters.
Quote:
I have known of children that were spiritual giants, and older adults that were intellectual garbage scow.
The strength of one's walk depends on obedience to the Holy Spirit, not their intellect.
Sorry mate, the hs is a non existent entity. It is a man made concept just like god is.
Quote:
The holy Spirit recognizes those that have a hunger a desperation for knowing the will of God.
Called introspection, no one or thing out there.
Quote:

That is a real scary concept. It means your morality is dictated to you by others IOW your peers.
Quote:
I dare not pick from scriptures and attempt to use them as a incantation to manipulate God. but we see a lot of this .
That is not faith in God, that's faith in an incantation drawn from scriptures .
No. You have been brainwashed in this belief.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,955,362 times
Quote:
Desperation is a part of it yes , but it is a welcome attitude an appetite to include God in all of the things in a person's life .
What does you appetite render you ?
The motivation for your actions and investments, noble or not God knows the truth Matthew 7; Jesus said ,"not every one that says to me Lord lord ,will enter the kingdom of heave ,but he that does the will of the Father......" Obedience is required not intellect . "and many will say ,"but we have done many works in your name ,casting out demons and healing the sick".
Knowing the power of Jesus name, but operating it with out His govern, is pretty much Identification theft .
Operating under false pretext.
The act of repentance ,is turning from self govern to God govern.

Great post

Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
A very salient point...I concur. And to paraphrase Handel in 'Messiah' 'the yoke is easy, the burden light'. Point to ponder!
Actually, it isn't. Even I a lifetime atheist, felt a removal of huge burden when I finally became convinced that there was no case for God-belief and many others have found the same release from a crushing weight of sin and guilt and terror that they not be doing enough to please God.

The only way to cope, it to attach the skyhook balloon of 'unquestioning Faith will save me' to all that so as to take the weight off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Great post
It is an injustice that we unbelievers have to put up with that a carefully reasoned argument will just be brushed aside by the Faithful, while a bit of rather incoherent Bible - thumping theophany will elicit screams of Theist approval.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 AM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It is an injustice that we unbelievers have to put up with that a carefully reasoned argument will just be brushed aside by the Faithful, while a bit of rather incoherent Bible - thumping theophany will elicit screams of Theist approval.
Yes, and the silence is deafening with respect to my question to Arleigh, about what role, if any, intellect plays in her belief system. Because the answer is, as little as possible, because intellect is a Bad Thing -- the "vain imaginings" of puny mortals, and is inimical to belief without evidence requirements (faith).

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
It is wearing to see the praise of unthinking obedience to...whatever this person thinks is the will of God through Jesus' spiritual instruction, bolstered with a random Bible quote, whereas the others who say 'Lord, Lord, but are not really Christians "pick from scriptures and attempt to use them as a incantation to manipulate God."

Not only do these ignorami -for- God damn all unbelievers to hell and those who have the wrong God and scripture, but all those who pretend to be Christians as well. Just let it come out that there are some differences about doctrine and we won't see a line of thumbs ups.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Actually, it isn't. Even I a lifetime atheist, felt a removal of huge burden when I finally became convinced that there was no case for God-belief and many others have found the same release from a crushing weight of sin and guilt and terror that they not be doing enough to please God.

The only way to cope, it to attach the skyhook balloon of 'unquestioning Faith will save me' to all that so as to take the weight off.

Long ago, I came to the understanding that I could not overcome my sin. Instead, I realized Jesus did that for me. That is the truth of the gospel. No need to push a wheelbarrow, carry a sack of potatoes, or bear any sort of burden.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes, and the silence is deafening with respect to my question to Arleigh, about what role, if any, intellect plays in her belief system. Because the answer is, as little as possible, because intellect is a Bad Thing -- the "vain imaginings" of puny mortals, and is inimical to belief without evidence requirements (faith).
Nonsense! I can't speak for all Christians, but we spend countless hours in Bible study, discussing how the things of God mesh with real life.

No sensible person will continue to serve a God with no evidence of His existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality