Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Oh yeah, she is sometimes over the top. I think I saw a snippet of one comedy show of hers online where she said that in one of the awards (for which she was nominated for but didn't win), she flicked off the cameras and stormed out as a joke... a joke that wasn't taken very lightly by the Award's people, to her later supposed embarrassment (although she quickly rejected her admission to embarrassment, making her continued and unrelenting 'realist' rebellion her story's final punch-line, which made her audience laugh).
Yeah, she is one of those who you either "get" her humor or you "don't", with the result that you either love it or hate it if you are obliged to sit through it.

I find her annoying as heck when she does those New Years Eve shindigs with Anderson Cooper. Nor do I care for their chemistry. Intellectually I get it ... but I just don't find it funny, particularly in sustained doses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
THE QUESTION (SOMEWHAT LONG-WINDED BUT HERE IT GOES) FOR YOU IS THE FOLLOWING:

Now (keeping that just-told TRUE story all in mind), I sincerely ask all you praiseful theists:

So, tell me, if you can find it in yourselves to be totally honest & forthcoming and not put on a false front for our benefit or say what is not truly reflective of your true views of how you would have truly perceived a life outcome like Elisabeth Fritzl’s if you had incurred such a life outcome as hers (especially in relation to the notion that there is a “God that loves you” or “God is good” or “God is here to bless me” or “God always blesses me” or “God manifests only good for us” or “We are always to be thankful to and praising of God” and other such sentiments and platitudes):

Can you truly, truly say that you would be so filled with a positive image of “God/god” and/or even believe that there is a “God/god” at all or at least a “God/god” that can truly be characterized as “all good” if YOU had incurred such a life outcome as Elisabeth Fritzl did? or as any of the hypothetical persons incurred as described in my earlier paragraph with their described life outcomes? I don’t tend to think so . . . or at least I think that, if you did, it would be as a result of mind tricks that you play on yourself to make yourself think that it was “all for the better” or “all part of God’s master plan . . . and who are we to question God?”.

Can you honestly and sincerely look me and look everyone else in the eyes with a straight face and a sincere heart and say that you would have come out of it all with all the praiseful platitudes and expressions of thankfulness & love toward whatever you call “God/god” and to forever proclaim “God loves me”, “God is good”, “God blesses me always”, and so on?
I have endured quite a lot of grief in my life. But I am sincerely thankful to God for whatever comes my way. Why? Because it is an opportunity for growth/maturity.

Not long ago my home was broken into while I was away in another state giving some lectures at a bible conference. When I got home and noticed what they took I lay in bed truly thankful to God for what occurred. I thanked Him for the opportunity to grow and mature in this. I slept peacefully.

If I went through what Job did, it would depend upon God giving the grace sufficient for whatever comes my way. All glory goes to Him either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality