Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Uhhh, generally not. Fundamentalists can get away with this, but mainstream stuff like Episcopalian don't even speak up when A is the case in these.

Let's also talk about atheism and how it's gotten away with some crap. Uhhh, like forbidding the pledge of allegiance in school because it has "under god" in it.

If you personally don't wanna say the pledge of allegiance, don't say it (you commie!) but don't forbid other people from practicing their religion within the confines of school.
Here in the real world - for example, the public elementary school at which my wife teaches - the Pledge of Allegiance (with the usual "under God" clause not in the original pledge but inserted by Congress in 1954) is said every day.

Apparently, in your fantasy-world it was 'forbidden' by... um... 'atheism'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Uhhh, generally not. Fundamentalists can get away with this, but mainstream stuff like Episcopalian don't even speak up when A is the case in these.

Let's also talk about atheism and how it's gotten away with some crap. Uhhh, like forbidding the pledge of allegiance in school because it has "under god" in it.

If you personally don't wanna say the pledge of allegiance, don't say it (you commie!) but don't forbid other people from practicing their religion within the confines of school.
Have you got a credible link to some information supporting your claim that an atheist somewhere coerced a school board to ban the Pledge of Allegiance, or did you just make that part up? What does the Pledge have to do with practicing religion, and why would somebody be practicing their religion at school? Wouldn't the other kids make fun of somebody doing that?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Can you not participate in America, or be a citizen unless you believe America is being watched under a God? Is America a Christian Nation like some middle eastern countries are under Sharia law? Instead of Sharia law we have Christian law? Do all Americans have to follow Christian law in America?
Quote:

I could definitely understand how someone from a secular family could, rather than stating the pledge of allegiance, put their head down on their desk and announce to their peers their secularism whether they want to or not. Perhaps they're the only secular student in the classroom. Watch the soul savers pounce on that student like piranhas onto a drowning cow.

I changed my mind. Placing the world god in the Pledge of Allegiance is stupid. We need to get rid of it. The only reason I'm not more aggressive about getting rid of it is due to laziness.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
When I was in school it was led by teachers. It seems like that could be banned for the same reason teacher-led prayer could be banned.
No, because prayer is divisive and favoring religion is unconstitutional. Having a National Identity and Singing the Pledge does not break any Articles in any forseeable way. However, you are allowed to be silent and not sign the pledge (I don't sing the 1950 part added about "Under God" because it is an evil corruption by Catholics), but must stand up. Even our good-ole American born kids wouldn't sing the pledge, their hatred of America made me feel awkward (I think their parents didn't like Clinton, and then same with Bush).

Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The main problem that Biblical Christians face with freedom of religion is their religious obligation to convert others, gather flock, share their faith, etc.

This paragraph explains a part of Christianity that conflicts with the law:

"It is evident, therefore, that every Christian can do something for Christ. No individual is so poor, so illiterate, so obscure, as to have no opportunity of performing any substantial acts of service for the Redeemer. God has not placed a single disciple in a situation, where nothing can be done for Christ.

It's funny to see the Beasts of Burden for false non-existent gods have to equivocate Iesus with Apollo, the Redeemer.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
I don't like the whole excessive guilt for everything that many variants of Christianity encourage (particularly Catholicism). If you're training your mind to be focused and disciplined that's one thing, but I can't see how shame due to thoughts of an intelligent force disapproving of your thought crimes could be positive.

I don't trust the statistics about fewer atheists in jail though. Anyone who admits being an atheist, Hindu, or Muslim to their parole officer, if he or she is in a western nation is a fool. What would be smarter, would be to say: "I've been saved by Jesus! I have seen the light! I know this is the fourth time I have been arrested for robbing that same gas station, but I have been reborn! I will go forth and sin no more!"

The statistics do imply that we're not worse people than theists though.
You do have a point. But, most atheists are logical thinkers. It's just not a fly by the seat of your pants mindset. We don't pray to get ourselves out or into situations, and so the responsibility lays with us. It makes a difference.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
You don't have to as long as you understand. If I were to get pregnant, had no funds and the father was unwilling then I would have no problem terminating the pregnancy within the first term. But, I am so logical about those issues, I would absolutely use protection if I saw no way of caring for a baby in my future and the pregnancy most likely wouldn't occur.

Now, if I'm a Theist and have unprotected sex because of my belief with a boy I'm not married to yet things get messy from the get go. Many parents who openly say they don't believe in abortion have paid to have their child's baby secretly aborted. Guilt and shame make you do some crazy, out of characteristic things sometimes.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-08-2014 at 03:23 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
It's funny to see the Beasts of Burden for false non-existent gods have to equivocate Iesus with Apollo, the Redeemer.
Yes, yes it is.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I could definitely understand how someone from a secular family could, rather than stating the pledge of allegiance, put their head down on their desk and announce to their peers their secularism whether they want to or not. Perhaps they're the only secular student in the classroom. Watch the soul savers pounce on that student like piranhas onto a drowning cow.

I changed my mind. Placing the world god in the Pledge of Allegiance is stupid. We need to get rid of it. The only reason I'm not more aggressive about getting rid of it is due to laziness.
Slowly these things will fade. We as a country are rather lazy, and we don't want to alarm the "alarmists" by removing all the old folklore at once. But, I am sure down the road it will be removed from our entire government and public products just like it has been in other countries.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
This one was REAL easy, the answer to ALL of them is A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality