Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
As I said, atheism is protected under the 1st Amendment - which means the bank can not discriminate against them based on their atheism. It's not as though American Atheists are burning crosses in the yards of religious people or lynching them for staring at an atheist woman for too long. There is no reason to be THAT hateful of American Atheists except within the context of: "I don't like them because they oppose my personal religious beliefs."
Atheism is protected. But being a jerk isn't. Being rude, obstreperous and obnoxious isn't.
Quote:
This notary would have the impossible task of proving how an atheist organization deserves to be denied service without falling back on, "Because I don't like them" as the only reason (which it was).
I have no argument with that. I agree with you.
Quote:
AND ... this kind of nonsense is a direct result of the law coddling religion by allowing pharmacists to deny contraception to people with a legitmate script or pushing bills that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays. If this notary were legally allowed to deny services to atheists, then so could EVERYONE ELSE, and atheists would become, in the most literal sense, second class citizens.
Actually, we have a first ammendment right of practicing our religion. That means that if I my religion has an issue with contraceptive, I DO have a right to refuse to do it. Your first amendment right does not trample my first amendment right.

The gay baker issue is nonsense. Being gay is not a protected 1st Amendment right, nor is forcing a private citizen to bake a cake for your gay wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Atheism is protected. But being a jerk isn't. Being rude, obstreperous and obnoxious isn't.

I have no argument with that. I agree with you.

Actually, we have a first ammendment right of practicing our religion. That means that if I my religion has an issue with contraceptive, I DO have a right to refuse to do it. Your first amendment right does not trample my first amendment right.

The gay baker issue is nonsense. Being gay is not a protected 1st Amendment right, nor is forcing a private citizen to bake a cake for your gay wedding.
You absolutely do have first amendment rights, as do all American citizens. If your religion has an issue with contraception, then don't use any. The next person in line at the pharmacy has no need to know what your religious beliefs are when she fills her birth control prescription. Same first amendment right.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You absolutely do have first amendment rights, as do all American citizens. If your religion has an issue with contraception, then don't use any.
So why would you insist on a person with a religious objection fulfilling an order for contraceptives?
Quote:

The next person in line at the pharmacy has no need to know what your religious beliefs are when she fills her birth control prescription. Same first amendment right.
I have no issue with that. If a pharmacy is willing to fill it, let them fill it.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think it is too bad what happened. Respect of differing points of views. A good thing. Goes both ways. I see little respect by atheists towards theists on this forum. Food for thought.
How predictable - a feeble attempt to draw an equivalency between unlawful discrimination in commerce and a lack of respect by online posters.

But then, it would have been astonishing had you actually given the unlawful action in question the condemnation it richly deserves rather than using it as a shallow excuse to whine about the respect you demand.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We all know that it is not only illegal, but also immoral to discriminate on the basis of race, nationality or religion.

So why is TD Bank excusing the discrimination by one of its employees in a USA branch who refused to notarize some documents because the bearer was an atheist?

Imagine if that person had been a Christian, Muslim or Jew and the atheist employee refused the same.

You know that newspapers and talk shows would explode with indignation.

Shame TD Bank!
Maybe the banker had problems with other atheists claiming their homes, cars, money came from nowhere. They all just magically appeared?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Perhaps they didn't like what the organization stood for, and their aggressive persecution of religious people. This doesn't appear to be an issue of a person deciding they just didn't like atheists and refusing to notarize a document for good ol' Earl who wandered in and said he didn't believe in God.
So you support selective discrimination?

What if that was an atheist who did the same to a Christian? Would you still be supportive?

BTW, what's with this "persecution" stuff? I don't recall any Christians who were tortured by atheists for their beliefs. Or forever to convert. Or any atheist book used to support slavery.

What persecution?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
So why would you insist on a person with a religious objection fulfilling an order for contraceptives?
Because it's the pharmacist's JOB to fill prescription orders, NOT to use the pharmacy counter as a de facto pulpit to push his/her personal religious beliefs onto every customer with a contraception prescription.

If a person's religious sensibilities prevents him/her from doing the job, then go find work elsewhere. They have no right to act as roadblocks in a deliberate attempt to keep legal contraceptives out of the hands of people with legal and legitimate scripts.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe the banker had problems with other atheists claiming their homes, cars, money came from nowhere. They all just magically appeared?
I really don't care what the banker's problem was - it was the banker's problem. Get over it.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, YOU have the right not to do it. You do NOT have the right to tell others what they can and cannot do based on your own personal religious beliefs. Filling a prescription does not force YOU to use contraception. Your right to practice your religion ends the moment it interferes with other people - especially on the job.

Oh, and there's absolutely nothing in the Bible about contraception. That's just a load of BS invented by the clergy.

Quote:
I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to that idiot bill in Arizona that, thankfully, was vetoed.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Because it's the pharmacist's JOB to fill prescription orders, NOT to use the pharmacy counter as a de facto pulpit to push his/her personal religious beliefs onto every customer with a contraception prescription.
If it's a private business, then he/she has a right to do it or not do it. Granted -- if he/she does not own the pharmacy, the pharmacy can certainly fire him/her for it. They shouldn't be working there if they can't do their job in good conscience.
Quote:
If a person's religious sensibilities prevents him/her from doing the job, then go find work elsewhere. They have no right to act as roadblocks in a deliberate attempt to keep legal contraceptives out of the hands of people with legal and legitimate scripts.
I agree. But if I'm a small businessman and I own a pharmacy, my religious freedom means I do not have to violate my conscience.

Quote:

Oh, and there's absolutely nothing in the Bible about contraception. That's just a load of BS invented by the clergy.
I'm not Catholic, and I do not teach that contraception is evil. But I do side with Hobby Lobby on their suit. They should not be forced to violate their conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality