Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 01:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times

Advertisements

I am not asking if it is a command to do so, I am asking if it is wrong to do so.

My personal opinion is that it is very obnoxious, demeaning to the person doing the proselytizing and a very insulting form of arrogance.

It serves no purpose, insulting the intelligence and integrity of the "victim" on the receiving end of the rant.

Yes, it is wrong, very wrong and in my opinion quite evil.

If a person were to use the same tactics to advertize a fast food restaurant he would probably be thrown in jail as a public nuisance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
I agree. It's wrong and exhibits arrogance, impertinence and usually, stupidity.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:06 PM

20,028 posts, read 13,501,689 times
No argument with you there.

Most proselytizers do not see it as proselytizing, though. They don't accept any reasonable definition of "proselytizing" because they want to see it as something milder like "testifying" or "witnessing" with the implicit assumption that all comers would actually care to hear the testimony or witness. It also bothers them that people have so little actual interest that they seldom sidle up to the believer and say, "would you please share your faith with me"? Which is the only legitimate circumstance when a person should talk about such personal matters.

If believers were actually respectful about these things they would seldom find any actual interest or get an opportunity to discuss their beliefs.

I believe that churches / mosques / temples should confine themselves to marketing efforts the same as anyone hawing any product. Back in my day, fundamentalists used to show Billy Graham movies or more rabid stuff like The Burning Hell for free admission and lure people in for an altar call in ways like that. While tacky, and not very effective, there's nothing wrong with that. No one has to respond unless they want to. The sanctity of no one's home is violated by an ad in the paper. And the beauty of it is that the only person who WOULD respond to such an appeal is someone who is the ideal sort of personality to be persuaded / shamed / terrorized into the fold anyway.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,680 times
It's worse than simply obnoxious. If a person asks you not to try to convert them, and you persist anyway, it is no different from rape.

If you wish to testify, confine it to telling those who ask.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am not asking if it is a command to do so, I am asking if it is wrong to do so.

My personal opinion is that it is very obnoxious, demeaning to the person doing the proselytizing and a very insulting form of arrogance.

It serves no purpose, insulting the intelligence and integrity of the "victim" on the receiving end of the rant.

If a person were to use the same tactics to advertize a fast food restaurant he would probably be thrown in jail as a public nuisance.
Define "prosletyze". I don't know what YOU mean by term.

Is it different than the way you heard about Islam ?

Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Just my belief but I believe Allaah(swt) will lead those who desire to be led. If a person is not listening to him, he sure isn't going to listen to me.

Religion is an individual's own responsibility and free choice. A person is interfering with both if he tries, without invitation, to convince them to believe or disbelieve as he does.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

To me proselytizing is insistent telling a person about my beliefs when they have not asked me to.

I never had a Muslim tell me about Islam or ever ask me to accept Islam. I read the Qur'an for 40 years as a language guide to help me improve my Arabic. I was much against accepting Islam until the minute I said the Shahadah with only Allaah(swt) as my witness. I had not even seen a Muslim for at least 30 years.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
To me proselytizing is insistent telling a person about my beliefs when they have not asked me to.

I never had a Muslim tell me about Islam or ever ask me to accept Islam. I read the Qur'an for 40 years as a language guide to help me improve my Arabic. I was much against accepting Islam until the minute I said the Shahadah with only Allaah(swt) as my witness. I had not even seen a Muslim for at least 30 years.

Based on the definition you gave, I would say yes---it's wrong. I would not encourage someone to share their faith with a person despite being asked not to.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:02 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,551,526 times
Quote:

Well when dealing with born again Christians who are the only ones I have ever encountered trying to convert me I think while they may be well meaning that they should think of it this way. One of Jesus's most important teachings is the golden rule to treat others as you would like to be treated. Nobody wants to be told that their beliefs are crap and that they will go to hell if they don't think and feel exactly the way somebody else does. I don't think any born again Christians would want to be treated and talked to that way so why treat someone else like that?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:23 PM

16,680 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I find it pretty incredible that a preacher would have to ask for a definition.

From dictionary . com: proselytize: to convert (someone) from one religious faith to another.

I think a more contemporary understanding of the word is to go out into the public and attempt to offer religion to other people without an invitation to do so. I've never heard of it being done except by Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality