Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM

331 posts, read 547,963 times

Advertisements

I used to be a Christian and, quite honestly, my life as a non-Christian is hardly any different. The only real difference is that my life is simpler now. I realize that Christian stuff (praying before bed, going to church, etc.) was just extra gobbledygook in my life.

I almost find it repulsive how much Christians try to emphasize the role of belief in their life. How many decisions that the average person makes on a daily basis depend on wether he/she believes in the Bible??? I'm guessing it's less than 0.0001%. This goes for all belief systems. What you believe about those deep questions of existence, morality and such, don't really matter.

Morality is the aspect of belief that seems to be overplayed the most. We're told that you must believe in objective morality, in a good-versus-evil conception of the world, or whatever. It certainly doesn't matter for me. There are enough practical reasons why I don't do things that are universally considered "wrong".

Let's take the example of theft. I don't steal things, for good reasons that I identify when I do some soul-searching (I'm using that term colloquially; I don't actually believe in a "soul."). Reasons I don't want to steal:
  • Legal consequences: Can go to jail and/or get my criminal record tainted and then never be able to get a job.
  • Social consequences: Regardless of whether I belief stealing is wrong, almost everyone else does believe it's wrong; so being known as a thief would make me a social outcast.
  • Personal pride: If I have to steal from someone, that means I wasn't able to earn it myself. I find it better for my personal pride to earn things.

Do I need to also believe that stealing is an offense against some omniscient being??? No, that's superflous; I already have enough incentive not to steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
I know people who are very deeply faithful, and were not always so. To them, their belief system is a very important and positive aspect of their life. The reasons are varied, some had a very ugly past, and have cleaned themselves up through their faith. Others not so much.

Although I will say that these people really are faithful. They read and study the bible and theological opinion of things, they do try to give themselves to their faith fully and completely. They are not the Sunday morning churchgoers who show up once a week, make a show of it, and then do not give it a second thought until the next Sunday.

Point is, how overrated it is for an individual is going to be a personal decision based on what you feel you get out of it towards your life.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
I used to be a Christian and, quite honestly, my life as a non-Christian is hardly any different. The only real difference is that my life is simpler now. I realize that Christian stuff (praying before bed, going to church, etc.) was just extra gobbledygook in my life.

I almost find it repulsive how much Christians try to emphasize the role of belief in their life. How many decisions that the average person makes on a daily basis depend on wether he/she believes in the Bible??? I'm guessing it's less than 0.0001%. This goes for all belief systems. What you believe about those deep questions of existence, morality and such, don't really matter.

Morality is the aspect of belief that seems to be overplayed the most. We're told that you must believe in objective morality, in a good-versus-evil conception of the world, or whatever. It certainly doesn't matter for me. There are enough practical reasons why I don't do things that are universally considered "wrong".

Let's take the example of theft. I don't steal things, for good reasons that I identify when I do some soul-searching (I'm using that term colloquially; I don't actually believe in a "soul."). Reasons I don't want to steal:
  • Legal consequences: Can go to jail and/or get my criminal record tainted and then never be able to get a job.
  • Social consequences: Regardless of whether I belief stealing is wrong, almost everyone else does believe it's wrong; so being known as a thief would make me a social outcast.
  • Personal pride: If I have to steal from someone, that means I wasn't able to earn it myself. I find it better for my personal pride to earn things.
Do I need to also believe that stealing is an offense against some omniscient being??? No, that's superflous; I already have enough incentive not to steal.
Sounds like your religion was based on following rules, as opposed to loving God and your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality