Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

Read this letter from this poor guy. It is a common complaint but his pain derives from his Christian background. Sometimes I think being atheist is better. Anyone have any suggestions for this poor guy?

Quote:
I’m sorry you can relate to what I said. I’m crying right now just thinking about it. It is with much pain and sadness that I weep. This life is so awful. I hate it! I never asked to be born! I never asked to be unattractive. I never asked to be in worst most disfunctional family that I know of. I never asked to have these feelings of wanting to love and be loved. But here I am with my life half over. I am in such a bad place in life now that I’m convinced that I’m cursed. My prayers have gone unanswered for so long that I have given up on God. I stopped going to Church. I stopped reading the Bible. The Bible is very discouraging! Why is God so mean? God is against mankind and He keeps making things worse! I don’t get it! Adam and Eve were innocent and ignorant to trickery. God puts satan in the garden knowing what would happen. Can we really say that they had a choice? So that’s the first curse! Then look what God does to them afterwards. The old sin nature and more bad things. My eyes have been opened up to what I think is one of the biggest curses that people face. The fact that men are logical and women are emotional!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is terrible. But we are all forced to deal with this?! I hate it! I hate this awful human body!!! WHY can’t there be a do Gods will and follow His word and have a blessed life plan instead live for God and your life will be terrible! Satan and his demons are trying to destroy those who choose Jesus. God rains on the just and the unjust. Who is God proving Himself to? Why would He create satan so crafty and intelligent knowing that satan would lead so many people to hell. Or trick people to hell. I want my life to be done! I have accepted my many curses that I have. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. What am I waiting for? Can Philipians 1:6 be true? What about Jeremiah 29:11? Jesus came so we could have an abundant life, John 10:10? All the riddles in the Bible. I just don’t get it. I’m not a smart person. I wish God would just unmake me. I don’t deserve heaven and I don’t want to end up in hell. God knows the future so as soon as I prayed my prayer to unmake me, He heard it before I was born. I’m still here unfortunately. You will never know what I have gone through. He might have but I feel forsaken. If I end up in hell, wouldn’t that be forsaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Sad to hear someone so miserable.

It's truly unfortunate the most people don't realize the Creator bears little or no resemblance to the God depicted in the bible or other "holy" books.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

It's truly unfortunate the most people don't realize the Creator bears little or no resemblance to the God depicted in the bible or other "holy" books.
True. The true God and the god in the Bible are two entirely different people. Or should I say one of them is fiction.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:06 PM

641 posts, read 558,458 times
Being five years out from my time as a Christian, I still feel many of the things that individual describes. It was excruciating for the first couple of years; the feelings of purposelessness, of vulnerability to an indifferent universe, of fear, of anger at my fellow Christians for not being interested in learning the things I had learned. I very much identify with this person.

Incidentally, I've found that hugs go a long way.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Read this letter from this poor guy. It is a common complaint but his pain derives from his Christian background. Sometimes I think being atheist is better. Anyone have any suggestions for this poor guy?
It is just too bad the person has so many misconceptions about God and other things.

Every wonder why the apostle Paul or none of the disciples complained when thrown in prison, beat, stoned, left for dead, in nakedness, in swamps in hunger and thirst? Because they knew the truth. They knew God loved them no matter what. The person you quoted seems to have not gotten the real message.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:19 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

In a properly translated Bible, the God of the Bible is love and that love never gives up on anyone. In a poorly translated Bible it reveals a God who would torture nations for eternity. Not so in a proper translation.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In a properly translated Bible, the God of the Bible is love and that love never gives up on anyone. In a poorly translated Bible it reveals a God who would torture nations for eternity. Not so in a proper translation.
Perhaps. I found a guy who gives 7 excellent reasons for why God ordered genocide in the Old Testament. Presumably, he was using a proper translation:

1. As the maker of all things and the ruler of all people, God has absolute rights of ownership over all people and places.

2. God is not only the ultimate maker, ruler, and owner, but he is just and righteous in all that he does.

3. All of us deserve God’s justice; none of us deserve God’s mercy.

4. The Canaanites were enemies of God who deserved to be punished.

5. God’s actions were not an example of ethnic cleansing.

6. It was necessary to remove the Canaanites from the land.

7. The destruction of the Canaanites is a picture of the final judgment.

How Could God Command Genocide in the Old Testament? – Justin Taylor

PS I really regret, as I often do, saying, " Sometimes I Despise Christianity". I don't really. Never. Bad use of the King's English. I'm just so often very disappointed with it.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
So which version is "properly translated"?

Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So which version is "properly translated"?
And how does Eusebius know which is properly translated? I can guess the answer to that... He/she doesn't. They ASSUME the one they like is correct, while ignoring the fact that they are just as ignorant as everyone else as to which may be correct, or not. All the while they go on living fantasies in their head thinking they are the only ones who have it right. Religion is the only thing I can think of that actually applauds turning off your brain.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:41 PM

641 posts, read 558,458 times
Quote:
It is just too bad the person has so many misconceptions about God and other things.

Every wonder why the apostle Paul or none of the disciples complained when thrown in prison, beat, stoned, left for dead, in nakedness, in swamps in hunger and thirst? Because they knew the truth. They knew God loved them no matter what. The person you quoted seems to have not gotten the real message.
Ah, yes... The old "you weren't doing it right" maneuver. This trick works on any apostate from any religion. Scientology didn't work for you? You weren't doing it right. Telephone psychics didn't work for you? You weren't doing it right. Baby-killing, slave-owning Yahweh of the Bible didn't work for you? You weren't doing it right.

Poignantly, only one of those three institutions burns you in hell for eternity because you didn't do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality