Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times

Advertisements

The way i look at religion and was taught that God has a reason for everything. Thus a Gay person was born at birth a gay person. How do i debate that with some devout farmers that are against homosexuals.
I know a woman that is a Lesbian and she was like that from birth. Or so i assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Based on 'opinion' alone, you have made several "assumptions": 'Religion' (whatever that means) speaks directly for God; God is directly responsible for everything that happens/does not happen; the issue here is whether or not God makes mistakes; Homosexuals are born that way; Only devout 'farmers' think otherwise; devout farmers are against homosexuals; You are responsible for showing these 'farmers' the light; Your lesbian friend was born that way.’

If we go through life simply 'assuming' that whatever we or others think and say is true, we have no reliably consistent basis for anything. IMO, your focus on homosexuality is only symptomatic of the greater issue: "Will you go through life allowing 'human opinion to be your Lord?"

The Good News is that God has provided His mistake-free Word, (the Bible), as His faithful and reliable TRUTH standard for our lives. Since you are here on the Christian Forum, one might 'assume' that you are seeking God's Truth. Therefore, the real question is: ...."Will you make the effort to discover God's Truth about thousands of life's issues (including homosexuality) for yourself ... OR 'Will you simply go on 'assuming' that human opinion is comparable to God's Truth?"

Last edited by jghorton; 03-19-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"Assume" is the operative concept in the opinions you present: 'Religion' (whatever that means) speaks directly for God; God is responsible for everything that happens or does not happen; Homosexuals are born that way; Only devout 'farmers' think otherwise; Devout farmers are against homosexuals; You are responsible for showing these 'farmers' the light; Your lesbian friend was born that way.

If we go through life simply 'assuming' that whatever we or others think and say is true, we have no reliably consistent basis for anything. You present too many 'false assumptions' to even address. The good news is that God has provided His Word, the Bible, as His faithful and reliable truth. IMO, the issue here is not homosexuality, but, whether you will allow human opinion to be your 'god' .... or will you make the effort to discover what God has to say about the thousands of life's issues you will face?
I pretty much agree with you. Your reply does have the ring of an attack to it.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The way i look at religion and was taught that God has a reason for everything. Thus a Gay person was born at birth a gay person. How do i debate that with some devout farmers that are against homosexuals.
I know a woman that is a Lesbian and she was like that from birth. Or so i assume.
No. God doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't intend for people to engage in homosexuality or to burn with lustful passions for the same gender. To do so is to sin.

I realize people believe they're "born that way". I get that. But once again, I will point out that adulterers, pedophiles, alcoholics, and a whole bunch of other negative behaviors are done by people that feel they cannot control their urges and were "born that way".

Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
I don't think they think God makes mistakes. I believe Satan is the one they blame, overtaking people and making them do these bad things and you have to choose as a human to go with God or Satan. I'm an atheist so I'm not clear on this but it's what I gather from a lot homosexual talks with Christians.

They don't hate homosexuals, just think they are lost and not in touch with God. Again, just my assumption from talks we've had. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. God doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't intend for people to engage in homosexuality or to burn with lustful passions for the same gender. To do so is to sin.
Yup, because lusts asks your opinion first about who to lust over.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
I hate to be a pessimist, but I suspect if they are firm in their belief you are not going to engage in any kind of fruitful debate with them.

That said, there are many ways to debate someone on the issue. If you want to debate a Christian who believes a loving same gender relationship is sin, then I would search out (google) some Christian web sites that explain why it is not a sin.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Yep, there's a reason why babies are raped, elementary school kids are mass-murdered, animals are tortured by psychos, etc., etc., etc. "God has his reasons, we just don't know them," is one of those statements that drives people with working brains insane.

You can believe in God without believing that there's some magical, mystical "reason" for things.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
I would say why waste your energy on "debates"?

When you are firm in your opinion, and others are firm in theirs, just agree to disagree and move on. You aren't going to change their minds and they aren't going to change yours. Unless of course you think something they say will change your mind, so that's why you'd like to continue the conversation?

Debating is just one more thing that takes your focus off of the important things about God and life

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM

I wasn't wanting to debate anyone. I just had a question and asked it here. I have decided those farmers are not worth the trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality