Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Should I just believe evolution because you or anyone else says so - even though none of you have ever seen it happen?

The fact that I don't believe evolution, is not a matter of science. The fact that you believe it has nothing to do with science. I did no experiments. I assume you did no experiments either.
One doesn't BELIEVE in science, one UNDERSTANDS it.

Or not in your case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
-

Sigh.... you really are ignorant (as in not knowing) about science.

Scary.
Quote:
One doesn't BELIEVE in science, one UNDERSTANDS it.

Or not in your case.
Question - does Justin Bieber have to understand the science of aerodynamics to know that an airplane can get from point A to point B 1000 miles away in a few hours? OR does he just believe it will happen?

I am going somewhere with this in relation to the topic.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Question - does Justin Bieber have to understand the science of aerodynamics to know that an airplane can get from point A to point B 1000 miles away in a few hours? OR does he just believe it will happen?

I am going somewhere with this in relation to the topic.
Nope, but he needs to know that those who designed that aircraft understand the science that requires it not only to fly, but to deal with the stresses of altitude, speed, navigation, etc. etc.

That plane does not fly on faith, it flies on science.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 PM

641 posts, read 558,279 times
Quote:
Should I just believe evolution because you or anyone else says so - even though none of you have ever seen it happen?

The fact that I don't believe evolution, is not a matter of science. The fact that you believe it has nothing to do with science. I did no experiments. I assume you did no experiments either.
Enjoy your ignorance, pal!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nj587d5ies

Old 06-06-2014, 11:42 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
The graphic says it all:

Attachment 131019
I explain it that those cat species are related. We share similarities to an ape but we are not made from an ape. We have similar hand structure to apes.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Nope, but he needs to know that those who designed that aircraft understand the science that requires it not only to fly, but to deal with the stresses of altitude, speed, navigation, etc. etc.

That plane does not fly on faith, it flies on science.
I understand the plane flies on science. But from Bieber's perspective - it's faith. Faith in the science that others performed. Faith in the manufacturers who built the plane. The plane could fail - not based on the science, but on faulty materials. He normally doesn't think about all of that... he just gets on a plane believing that he will get to point B.

There is something else that comes into play - that's the track record of flight today. The success rate is extremely high for a plane to get to its destination without incident. And it's been that way for his whole life. That's what he expects to happen.

Back to evolution... nothing is evolving. Tigers are tigers. Cats are cats. Dogs are dogs. There is nothing in mid-evolution. Nobody on the earth has witnessed anything evolve over a period of time. Unlike the success rate of modern aircraft, the track record for witnessing something evolve is poor.

So now I have to go on the science of others. But for me, there is other input and that's from the Bible. And it states...

Genesis 1:24-25 - Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind"; and it was so. 25 God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

Animals were created and reproduced after their kind. Obviously this disagrees with the science of others. So what do I do? Even though I generally tend towards the Bible, it still needs to make sense in reality. And my observation (which is part of the scientific method) tells me nothing is evolving - which tends to support what the Bible says about animals after their own kind. So for me to believe in evolution - I have to override what the Bible says, and I have to override my own observation and believe in the science and testimony of others. I am not willing to do that at this point.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I explain it that those cat species are related. We share similarities to an ape but we are not made from an ape. We have similar hand structure to apes.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I understand the plane flies on science. But from Bieber's perspective - it's faith. Faith in the science that others performed. Faith in the manufacturers who built the plane. The plane could fail - not based on the science, but on faulty materials. He normally doesn't think about all of that... he just gets on a plane believing that he will get to point B.

There is something else that comes into play - that's the track record of flight today. The success rate is extremely high for a plane to get to its destination without incident. And it's been that way for his whole life. That's what he expects to happen.

Back to evolution... nothing is evolving. Tigers are tigers. Cats are cats. Dogs are dogs. There is nothing in mid-evolution. Nobody on the earth has witnessed anything evolve over a period of time. Unlike the success rate of modern aircraft, the track record for witnessing something evolve is poor.

So now I have to go on the science of others. But for me, there is other input and that's from the Bible. And it states...

Genesis 1:24-25 - Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind"; and it was so. 25 God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

Animals were created and reproduced after their kind. Obviously this disagrees with the science of others. So what do I do? Even though I generally tend towards the Bible, it still needs to make sense in reality. And my observation (which is part of the scientific method) tells me nothing is evolving - which tends to support what the Bible says about animals after their own kind. So for me to believe in evolution - I have to override what the Bible says, and I have to override my own observation and believe in the science and testimony of others. I am not willing to do that at this point.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:08 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality