Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We do not know, period. What we do know is that it is the same as a gestalt . . . i.e., an unchangeable perceptual phenomenon. If you want to know what I am referring to . . . the language on your screen is a perceptual gestalt that cannot be changed. It is impossible for you NOT to see words on the screen as words. This is a learned gestalt so those who are illiterate or have not learned to read English would not see words . . . but those who do see words can NOT "unsee" them. That is what a gestalt IS . . . perceptions completely immune to conscious or willful control. Regardless HOW homosexuals became that way . . . their perceptions of the same sex are gestalt. They are immune to change. They cannot change the way they perceive the same sex as a sexual stimulus. Genetic, epigenetic, fetal imprinting, early learning or whatever . . . it is gestalt so all arguments about changing the perceptions are bogus.
Just to clarify, when you say "We do not know, period", you are only speaking for yourself.

Last edited by Ceist; 07-05-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Why some people are Homosexual.

No “gay gene” says top scientists
Really? You read the website of a group so conservative their co-founder is listed as a white nationalist by the Southern Poverty Law Center?

Other "articles" on their website: "Kanye West releases his most anti-white rap song ever" and "Pigmentation and personality traits". Along with advertisements for the "Don't Tread on Me" flag and white pride t-shirts.

To say they have an agenda for what studies they find and publish would be the most charitable thing I could say. And they don't deserve that.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
People are homosexual for sex.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Really? You read the website of a group so conservative their co-founder is listed as a white nationalist by the Southern Poverty Law Center?

Other "articles" on their website: "Kanye West releases his most anti-white rap song ever" and "Pigmentation and personality traits". Along with advertisements for the "Don't Tread on Me Flag" and t-shirts that say "White Pride"

To say they have an agenda for what studies they find and publish would be the most charitable thing I could say. And they don't deserve that.
I doubt the poster (or the author of the website) even read what they posted let alone understood it- they probably just looked at the title and thought it supported their view that homosexuality is a 'choice'. It doesn't - at all.

This is the actual published research article:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/668167

Old 07-05-2014, 06:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
I doubt the poster even read what they posted let alone understood it- they just looked at the title.
Let us hope so.

Let us also use this as an example that people need to think about sources, and the fact that there are MULTIPLE studies with conflicting conclusions, before they decide anything like, "Well there it is! No gay gene. I read it on the internet".

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-05-2014 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
People are homosexual for sex.
This is my nominee - thus far - for The Huh? Post of 2014.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This is my nominee - thus far - for The Huh? Post of 2014.
I'm sure it makes perfect sense to the poster.... somehow.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
You are not reading very carefully. IF it is a perceptual Gestalt . . . then it is NOT changeable. Not everything is a perceptual gestalt . . . but when it IS it cannot be changed. Reading words in English would NOT be a gestalt for someone who has never learned to do so . . . but for YOU it IS a gestalt and you cannot "unsee" the words or their meanings.
Quote:
Modern neuroscience explains in much better from a science perspective. "Gestalt" is more philosophical and rather dated approach.
Riiiight! I am sure that all the neuroscientists on here would appreciate it and understand it better than just trying to "unsee" the words on the page as words with meaning . . . and failing. I am sure it would be much more effective.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:29 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
We do not know, period. What we do know is that it is the same as a gestalt . . . i.e., an unchangeable perceptual phenomenon. If you want to know what I am referring to . . . the language on your screen is a perceptual gestalt that cannot be changed. It is impossible for you NOT to see words on the screen as words. This is a learned gestalt so those who are illiterate or have not learned to read English would not see words . . . but those who do see words can NOT "unsee" them. That is what a gestalt IS . . . perceptions completely immune to conscious or willful control. Regardless HOW homosexuals became that way . . . their perceptions of the same sex are gestalt. They are immune to change. They cannot change the way they perceive the same sex as a sexual stimulus. Genetic, epigenetic, fetal imprinting, early learning or whatever . . . it is gestalt so all arguments about changing the perceptions are bogus.
Quote:
Just to clarify, when you say "We do not know, period", you are only speaking for yourself.
No . . . we actually do NOT know. But as I said "Regardless HOW homosexuals became that way . . . their perceptions of the same sex are gestalt. They are immune to change. They cannot change the way they perceive the same sex as a sexual stimulus. Genetic, epigenetic, fetal imprinting, early learning or whatever . . . it is gestalt so all arguments about changing the perceptions are bogus.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Let us hope so.

Let us also use this as an example that people need to think about sources, and the fact that there are MULTIPLE studies with conflicting conclusions, before they decide anything like, "Well there it is! No gay gene. I read it on the internet".
There aren't really 'conflicting' studies per se. There has been a converging line of evidence between genetic, hormonal and neuroscience research (including animal studies) all pointing to a biological basis for sexual orientation for some time now.

If people want to read propaganda articles to "form" their opinions, then they should probably ask themselves why they are avoiding reputable sources like the major professional health associations and science Journals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality