Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

You won't find a better way of evangelizing your views that posting here. And I have found a community of people I can talk to about it (NOBODY here EVER talks about it) and that hath alleviated considerably the degree of isolation I felt in being an atheist with something to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Everyone who attends a service in a building called a church should be yelling BS in their heads---Jesus' truths aren't ever taught in a building called a church.
I suppose you are correct about this. One must attend a "Reason" rally to hear Jesus' truths.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:25 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
NOPE.

I feel more alienated now more than EVER.. I'm tempted at times to grab my guitar, pick up the PA, and start jamming again in bars for money..

The problem is, I can't sit there knowing what I know entertaining them encouraging them to get drunk.. I don't want to be an instrument to destroy someone's life.

I want to help bring people to the truth of God's Word and get away from that lifestyle.. I want to help people build up their lives with Faith in Christ.. help their marriages, etc.. not be used as a tool to destroy them.

So I guess it can be lonely at times, but Christ says count the costs.

Sound reasoning of a good heart. My brother and I were in a band--we wrote about 25 albums--we received standing ovations everytime we played out. We gave it up as well, because it wouldn't have been an agreeable lifestyle to God or his son... instead learning Jesus' truths and applying Jesus' truths have our treasures stored in heaven. As I hope for you to.
Sounds as if you were able to manage this-Matt 16:24---Few can friend. It will be well worth it in Gods kingdom.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Sound reasoning of a good heart. My brother and I were in a band--we wrote about 25 albums--we received standing ovations everytime we played out. We gave it up as well, because it wouldn't have been an agreeable lifestyle to God or his son... instead learning Jesus' truths and applying Jesus' truths have our treasures stored in heaven. As I hope for you to.
Sounds as if you were able to manage this-Matt 16:24---Few can friend. It will be well worth it in Gods kingdom.
If your music was that good, its a shame that you've decided to hoard it all up for the wishful thinking of an afterlife for which there is no evidence.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If your music was that good, its a shame that you've decided to hoard it all up for the wishful thinking of an afterlife for which there is no evidence.

I have 0 doubt I made the right choice. I am really happy I left a wicked lifestyle behind and that God is so merciful, he forgave me--I was really wicked--selling drugs, stealing, fornicating, drunkenness--- temporary pleasures for 70 years is valued at 0 in comparsion to life everlasting in Gods kingdom..i hope you make it there

Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I have 0 doubt I made the right choice. I am really happy I left a wicked lifestyle behind and that God is so merciful, he forgave me--I was really wicked--selling drugs, stealing, fornicating, drunkenness--- temporary pleasures for 70 years is valued at 0 in comparsion to life everlasting in Gods kingdom..i hope you make it there
You weren't wicked, only a bad person because of your theft. The other activities you mentioned are undertaken by even good people. One needn't convert to mythical religious beliefs to change one's lifestyle and be a decent person. If you believe in the Abrahamic God's kingdom, I have no belief that I'll be there nor any desire to.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
NOPE.

I feel more alienated now more than EVER.. I'm tempted at times to grab my guitar, pick up the PA, and start jamming again in bars for money..

The problem is, I can't sit there knowing what I know entertaining them encouraging them to get drunk.. I don't want to be an instrument to destroy someone's life.

I want to help bring people to the truth of God's Word and get away from that lifestyle.. I want to help people build up their lives with Faith in Christ.. help their marriages, etc.. not be used as a tool to destroy them.

So I guess it can be lonely at times, but Christ says count the costs.
Quote:
Hmm, sounds famously familiar, like the story of a band we all know. Except that they eventually decided that they COULD go forward and have their band and still keep their faith, and they have, in the opinion of many, and some have claimed to have found God through their music. Others--well, they just aren't quite Christian enough in the eyes of some people. In the end, only God knows everyone's hearts.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-14-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 07:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You won't find a better way of evangelizing your views that posting here.
Wow. 99% of your posts are well thought out and, even tho I disagree I respect what you have to say.

With that said, you are wrong on this one. This place is absolute rubbish for evangelizing one's views. You can share, but nobody cares. Too many crackpots and fools spout their POVs. My faith has been made stronger thanks to the disinformation posted here and elsewhere.

And I am surprised that you feel isolated in the UK as an atheist. I have heard it said there are tons of atheist in UK. Is that not the case?

Old 07-14-2014, 07:20 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Wow. 99% of your posts are well thought out and, even tho I disagree I respect what you have to say.

With that said, you are wrong on this one. This place is absolute rubbish for evangelizing one's views. You can share, but nobody cares. Too many crackpots and fools spout their POVs. My faith has been made stronger thanks to the disinformation posted here and elsewhere.

And I am surprised that you feel isolated in the UK as an atheist. I have heard it said there are tons of atheists in UK. Is that not the case?
Thanks for asking that, Mr. 5150. I wondered the same thing. Is this some weird stereotype we Americans think we know about Brits? We always hear that there are few believers in Europe in general, but particularly in the UK. The UK specifically interested me since a) I am of English descent and b) my church is descended from the Church of England. Of course, they changed the name to "Episcopal" after that little altercation back in the 18th century.

Heck, our "sister" parish up the street has a charter from the The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts from colonial days!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm, sounds famously familiar, like the story of a band we all know. Except that they eventually decided that they COULD go forward and have their band and still keep their faith, and they have, in the opinion of many, and some have claimed to have found God through their music. Others--well, they just aren't quite Christian enough in the eyes of some people. In the end, only God knows everyone's hearts.
Well the problem is ultimately the message of God and His message of salvation is not received by the public at large. I just got cited here on City Data for speaking my opinion regarding Homosexuality's deviant behavior stating I was trolling and off topic, which I wasn't. Regardless of which, any mention of God or salvation through Jesus Christ ultimately cuts to the very heart and soul of Man.. especially if they are not right with God. And they don't like to feel guilty.. Which is why ultimately someone that follows Jesus Christ will be alienated from old friends.. just your presence makes people feel guilty.

I know because I spent most of my life as lost as can be and that's how I was. Shine the light and the cockroaches who love the darkness scatter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality