Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,763,205 times

Advertisements

Why does God even need an argument for his / her / it's existence? Why are people of faith even in the 21st century needing "arguments" and "apologetics" to show God exists. This is the one basic question I come back to as an atheist and why I identify as atheist. Rational people don't argue whether or not the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Rational people don't argue that when you drop a ball it falls to the Earth. I could go on and on with obvious things but the simple problem remains as to why the almighty perfect creator of the universe in the Bible can't come up with better ways of convincing the entire population of Earth as to it's existence and qualities than using some so called holy books riddled with absurdities and other nonsensical stuff. Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Why does God even need an argument for his / her / it's existence? Why are people of faith even in the 21st century needing "arguments" and "apologetics" to show God exists. This is the one basic question I come back to as an atheist and why I identify as atheist. Rational people don't argue whether or not the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Rational people don't argue that when you drop a ball it falls to the Earth. I could go on and on with obvious things but the simple problem remains as to why the almighty perfect creator of the universe in the Bible can't come up with better ways of convincing the entire population of Earth as to it's existence and qualities than using some so called holy books riddled with absurdities and other nonsensical stuff. Discuss.
He doesn't. The fact that the universe exists proves that something CAUSED it to exist. It's logical.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He doesn't. The fact that the universe exists proves that something CAUSED it to exist. It's logical.
...and this something has to be the God of the Bible?? It can't be super powerful aliens in a parallel universe who have obtained the ability to create universes? Even if for the sake of argument I say that there was a creative force behind our universe...what evidence do you have that this creative force exists NOW and that it is the God of the Bible and not something else...and don't retreat into the whole "because the Bible" says so.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
...and this something has to be the God of the Bible??
No. Creation points to the existence of the Creator.
Quote:

It can't be super powerful aliens in a parallel universe who have obtained the ability to create universes?
Where did they come from? There must have been a "first cause" that wasn't caused.
Quote:

Even if for the sake of argument I say that there was a creative force behind our universe...what evidence do you have that this creative force exists NOW and that it is the God of the Bible and not something else...and don't retreat into the whole "because the Bible" says so.
He has granted me the faith to believe in him. He gave us the Bible and we can read of him. If you can't say the same, I understand. But congratulations, it sounds like you just moved from "atheist" to "agnostic".

Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,797,637 times
Quote:
...and this something has to be the God of the Bible?? It can't be super powerful aliens in a parallel universe who have obtained the ability to create universes? Even if for the sake of argument I say that there was a creative force behind our universe...what evidence do you have that this creative force exists NOW and that it is the God of the Bible and not something else...and don't retreat into the whole "because the Bible" says so.

It's the old "cause of causes" argument.

We puny humans are way too low on the food chain to comprehend ....

Old 07-02-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Where did they come from? There must have been a "first cause" that wasn't caused.

He has granted me the faith to believe in him. He gave us the Bible and we can read of him. If you can't say the same, I understand. But congratulations, it sounds like you just moved from "atheist" to "agnostic".
The aliens analogy was for argument sake. I don't take that argument any more seriously than your God argument. It seems like you will retreat though to the Bible which I find after reading about half of it or so to be a book that does not even remotely convince me of it's coming from some supernatural other worldly creator. I could go on and on with just the silliness of the Noah's ark story for starters or the other nonsensical stuff in it but why waste my time. Btw don't you think it arrogant that this God has so chosen you to reveal all this truth to in "faith". You know...the proper Christian Biblical faith? I mean shouldn't your God be working more feverently on the Muslim children in madrassas being indoctrinated in the Muslim faith so that they can believe in the Bible like you instead of the Koran. I mean it's their souls at stake there right Vizio..I take it you believe that you have to have Jesus as your lord and savior at time of death?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
So existence proves that something caused it?

If mere existence proves a cause then so would God's existence.

LOL!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,162,649 times
This has already wandered off topic. The OP question wasn't does god exist or not, the question was if god exists, why has it done such a poor job of establishing its existence?

It is a challenge to the promoters of organized religions, who insist on the absolute veracity of ancient texts, supposed revelations, interpreted miracles etc, as their proof.

The OP is saying, and I agree completely, that these are awfully lame proofs coming from an entity as intelligent and powerful as god is supposed to be, as defined by its believers.

So...if there is a god which wishes us to believe in it, and this god has unlimited means for making those wishes known beyond question, why has that god resorted instead to these cryptic, questionable methods which leave room for argument?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
This has already wandered off topic. The OP question wasn't does god exist or not, the question was if god exists, why has it done such a poor job of establishing its existence?

It is a challenge to the promoters of organized religions, who insist on the absolute veracity of ancient texts, supposed revelations, interpreted miracles etc, as their proof.

The OP is saying, and I agree completely, that these are awfully lame proofs coming from an entity as intelligent and powerful as god is supposed to be, as defined by its believers.

So...if there is a god which wishes us to believe in it, and this god has unlimited means for making those wishes known beyond question, why has that god resorted instead to these cryptic, questionable methods which leave room for argument?
Couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:

Well...there we are. We need some kind of argument to justify the faith, even though the arguments are not very sound ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality