Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolan View Post
No, I wouldn't. If anything, I would call it an autobiography and an exposition of his ideology.
Great.. then I'll quote from Mein Kampf..

Hitler stated in Mein Kampf... "By defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord,"

Now based on your premise that

Quote:
You are confusing political opportunism with personal conviction. Hitler himself says in Mein Kampf that his public statements should be understood as propaganda that bears no relation to the truth but is designed to sway the masses.
so what I quoted wasn't propoganda...

and

Quote:
No, I wouldn't. If anything, I would call it an autobiography and an exposition of his ideology.
and it was an exposition of his ideology..

I should be able to come to the conclusion that he .. religiously hated the Jews.

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 03:53 PM

57 posts, read 133,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Great.. then I'll quote from Mein Kampf..

Hitler stated in Mein Kampf... "By defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord,"

Now based on your premise that

so what I quoted wasn't propoganda...

and

and it was an exposition of his ideology..

I should be able to come to the conclusion that he .. religiously hated the Jews.

Right?
The only way you can come to this conclusion is to completely ignore the evidence which shows that this is not the case.

It is clear that the Nazis regarded the churches as the strongest and toughest reservoirs of ideological opposition to the principles they believed in. Once Hitler and the Nazis came to power, they launched a ruthless drive to subdue and weaken the Christian churches throughout Germany.

The Nazis also drew on the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, adapting his atheist philosophy to their crude purposes. Nietzsche's vision of the ubermensch and his elevation of a new ethic "beyond good and evil" were avidly embraced by Nazi propagandists. Nietzsche's "will to power" almost became a Nazi recruitment slogan.

To claim that the Nazis were agents of religion is pure nonsense.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM

22,202 posts, read 19,233,374 times
there have been plenty of bloodthirsty power-hungry leaders who have hidden behind the cause of religion to justify their agenda and violence and manipulation. That does not make them religous issues, just able to control more people when it is cloaked in religion....just like today come to think of it!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:32 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times
Quote:

To claim that the Nazis were agents of religion is pure nonsense.
Thats good.. cause I never claimed they were agents of religion.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
You know someone's going to call you on this so let it be me....my boyfriend of many years has been an auto mechanic all his life, has the best personal hygiene and diction of anyone I have ever met, speaks two languages, one of them the most difficult out there to learn, and can hold his own in conversations on the economy and world events far better than most I know. He did not complete college, and makes $75,000 a year, more than many college grads I know the same age as he. He has never smoked and treats all people with respect of every race and religion and culture.
Thank you DiamondD. I agree with your post that there are intelligent people performing supposed menial labor.

My post was overly facetious. My point was the OP was surmising that ignorant people are needed to do menial tasks is hogwash.

It is not I who claims those who perform "menial tasks" (which btw is subjective) are ignorant.

To even question whether there is a religious reason for so much ignorant and stupidity is altogether snobbery begging for diving validation.

A monk sees menial tasks as productive and good for the soul. Doing tasks that others don't like doing keeps one humble. Maybe smart people need to be humble rather than egotistical.

And yes, DiamondD, I fully realize not all smart people are egotistical.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:29 AM

69 posts, read 272,918 times
I've always had this feeling that most people's spirits/souls aren't that advanced, so they're ignorant and stupid. And I still think this is true. It seems like the more spiritual progress you have, the better you act. I don't mean morals. I mean you act more mature, wise, etc.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeeParis View Post
I've always had this feeling that most people's spirits/souls aren't that advanced, so they're ignorant and stupid. And I still think this is true. It seems like the more spiritual progress you have, the better you act. I don't mean morals. I mean you act more mature, wise, etc.
this makes a very good point...the irony being that in the original post it was in "church" that the "explanation" was given about the "stupid and ignorant." A more spiritually evolved response could be something as benign as "we all have our gifts, try to find them in each person you meet" There is still a part of me that does want to see the maturity and wisdom you speak of above....

Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
A monk sees menial tasks as productive and good for the soul. Doing tasks that others don't like doing keeps one humble. Maybe smart people need to be humble rather than egotistical.
lovely point, like that quote:
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water;
after enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Old 12-28-2007, 11:40 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
We are disucssing the supposed ignorancy and stupidity of religious people using the holocaust as an example with supporting evidence being Hitler's religious views which strongly correlate to a history of anti-Semitism.

How's that sound?
If you're asserting that western Christendom has a long and tragic history of anti-Semitism, you'll get no argument from me. Sad, but true. That this might have been inherent in the culture in which Hitler grew up and influenced his views...okay, I'll buy that.

But if you're painting Hitler as a religious figure, or if you're claiming that his motive for the Final Solution was religious in nature, I think it's hogwash. Hitler often used religious language in his speeches, but his sincerity is put in serious question by his private writings and words with others. In private, he expressed nothing but disdain and contempt for religion of every sort --- Jewish, Christian, and otherwise.

Hitler's views on the Aryan ideal were mostly influenced by Darwin, Nietchze (SP?), and the early eugenics movement. Sadly, he wasn't alone in that. The whole eugenics movement was quite popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, even in the United States. Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a big proponent of it. In fact, she was so eager to sterilize African Americans because she wanted them culled from the population, believing that they were inferior to the European races.

And this nonsense still isn't dead. A fairly prominent anthropologist recently came under fire for making statements that the African races were inherently inferior to Europeans. Can't remember his name offhand, but a quick Google search should turn it right up.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:26 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I over heard a boy ask our Minister why our world had so many ignorant and stupid people. The Minister seemed shocked but then came back with an interesting answer. God knows that most of what needs to get done in the world is boring, tedious and incredibly dull, and if everyone was as smart as your parents nothing would get done.

Maybe the Minister is right. No matter how hard the smart people try to improve society and make all the not so bright people smart, we continue to produce many people with very low intelligence everyday. Maybe God knows we need people like this to get the unpleasant tasks done. There will always be a need for people who are not so bright who enjoy menial work and God creates a share of all types of people.
i know this sounds more political, but if you compare school systems in other countries to here, you would see that we don't really try that hard to make anyone very smart.

i would agree to an extent with the minister. there is a need for uneducated people to do trivial and mundane work. this of course is another social issue that doesn't really belong here.

but saying that god made it that way is just a convenient way to maintain the status quo and keep a lot of people where they are, to do the crap work of the machine that we are all part of.

i don't buy for a second that dumb people are dumb to fulfill some place in life. dumb people are dumb because of a slight mix of nature and nurture, and a school system that leaves most Americans about three grades behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality