Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,243 times

Advertisements

Belief in Angry God Associated with Poor Mental Health | RealClearScience

Religion & Mental Health: New Study Links Belief In 'Punitive God' To Emotional Problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:33 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
No surprise there, but the chicken or egg thing comes to mind. Still, it is an indicator worth thinking about.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
Considering that secular psychologists don't consider it a mental illness for a man to think he's a woman or to want to be sexually involved with a man....I'm not sure I really am bothered by the idea that they consider my religious beliefs to be an issue.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:53 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Considering that secular psychologists don't consider it a mental illness for a man to think he's a woman or to want to be sexually involved with a man....I'm not sure I really am bothered by the idea that they consider my religious beliefs to be an issue.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:56 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,243 times
Quote:

Does that mean believing in an angry god can make you crazy?

Not necessarily. The study looked only at the correlation between beliefs and mental health and not at causality, so the study's take-away message is subject to interpretation.

I did find it interesting though, and it is something to think about, in my opinion.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
My guess is that a child raised in an environment where "Angry God" is taught is going to have ythat much more pressure, but again, pressure because of the religious doctrine or because of the social issues of the parents who have adopted that perception?

Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,345,573 times
Sounds like 'Angry God' is a projection of an underlying angry self.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Yep.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:25 PM

20,062 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Believing psychologists don't either, not openly, or they would not be adhering to standards of care and would have their licenses pulled or be subject to malpractice claims.

Our own Mr. Prince is a retired mental health professional and despite his strong religious beliefs he practiced CBT and all the other normal therapies. Or so he told me recently.

In any case this is a false equivalence fallacy. One can objectively note that many psychoses, personality disorders, and neuroses present with religious ideation, without concluding necessarily that religious ideation is inherently bad. One could rationalize it as distorted or exaggerated or untempered religious ideation. One could point out that most of the time when religious ideation is a major feature of someone's mental illness that their particular notions would not be considered correct or doctrinally sound by their own church, and may have, e.g., megalomaniacal features. Whatever conclusion you come to about the relationship between religious ideation and mental illness, in any case, has nothing inherently to do with gender dysmorphia or sexual orientation. The most you can say is that one can influence the other.

As a minister, you have influence with people out of proportion to other folks, so I wish that you would be careful about painting the mental health system with such a broad brush of suspicion. You may unwittingly prevent people in your flock from getting help that they need. The misguided notion that every personal problem requires a Biblical prescription in preference to mental health standards of care, greatly impaired my own judgment as my first wife's substantial mental health issues progressed and deteriorated. Her issues were bad enough that it probably wouldn't have mattered, but the "care" she got from Christian counseling and therapy did her no favors, either. To this day she rots somewhere in the county mental health system, and has cut herself off from her own children. And to get her even that level of care against her will, I had to let her deteriorate to the point that she was a danger to herself and others. Things might have gone differently if my church had, from the start, counseled me to insist that she submit to proper mental health care and medication, and perhaps advised me against getting her with child, etc. But it was considered shameful to even discuss these issues, and by and large, my spiritual mentors were totally in over their heads on such topics.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,602,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Oh, so it's all about yourself.. once again, Freudian projectionist psychology rears its ugly head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality