Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:11 PM

135 posts, read 128,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Christianity itself is quite disturbing.
I agree but there are certainly varying levels. I mean I think believing any of it is nonsense but people believe a lot of wacky stuff. Then there's the people who actively try to push to change legislation or impose their religion on others. That's even more disturbing. What's even worse is when you meet or hear those people who are all of the above but also seem to like the idea of "the other side" being tortured forever.

Like I said, there's plenty of fundies here. I strongly disagree with them but a lot of them manage to keep the threat of "Oh ya well you're going to burn! muhahaha!" out of conversations. Even when the hell thing is brought up, it's less bad when you get the feeling that they actually believe they're trying to save you from this terrible thing. Perry's posts in this thread are not those of someone particularly interested in saving you. It's more of a "we'll see who gets the last laugh".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 03:23 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,764,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
I agree but there are certainly varying levels. I mean I think believing any of it is nonsense but people believe a lot of wacky stuff. Then there's the people who actively try to push to change legislation or impose their religion on others. That's even more disturbing. What's even worse is when you meet or hear those people who are all of the above but also seem to like the idea of "the other side" being tortured forever.

Like I said, there's plenty of fundies here. I strongly disagree with them but a lot of them manage to keep the threat of "Oh ya well you're going to burn! muhahaha!" out of conversations. Even when the hell thing is brought up, it's less bad when you get the feeling that they actually believe they're trying to save you from this terrible thing. Perry's posts in this thread are not those of someone particularly interested in saving you. It's more of a "we'll see who gets the last laugh".
You are right to point out that beliefs lead to actions when people who hold these beliefs go to the voting booths to elect officials who hold to this nonsense. I would include electing school board members who want to have so called 'creation science' in public school classrooms among that group. If Christians would keep their beliefs confined to their homes and churches, that would be one thing. Some don't and there's the problem.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 AM

98 posts, read 100,549 times
Quote:
I ask this question about the average Christian sitting in the pews every Sunday with their pastor, minister or preacher telling them about this merciful, loving God....the God that is all good and all holy. Do they not know of the Bible passages where God takes delight in killing humans, taking others as spoils of war, etc. I seriously don't get the disconnect. Discussion?
The bible says you read scriptures but you do not understand.
Humans are killing themselves.
you are an athiest and are just looking for an excuse to destroy a beautigul God.
You are possessed It is speaking to you.

Last edited by madera23; 04-27-2015 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2015, 05:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,619,291 times
Quote:
I ask this question about the average Christian sitting in the pews every Sunday with their pastor, minister or preacher telling them about this merciful, loving God....the God that is all good and all holy. Do they not know of the Bible passages where God takes delight in killing humans, taking others as spoils of war, etc. I seriously don't get the disconnect. Discussion?
well, I would say the description of god in the bible is a description of oneself. This spin is just nonsense. So work on yourself first and the bible will become less important to you as you begin to see others in a more human light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality