Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:04 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,949,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Could you please state specific reasons why the God of the Bible, should not be labeled a psychopath instead of just mentioning hell or judgement or do you have to be honest with yourself and admit that you think infanticide, killing helpless people and enjoying that are good moral ways of living? Did I mention the delighting in the killing of animals before..you know that personality trait that some psychopaths exhibit in their childhood years before they start moving to humans.
No, I think one needs to read the bible better as one shows one is lacking greatly as one makes oneself look very ignorant.

Last edited by perry335654; 11-22-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Perhaps Christians know something about God you don't. How else can you explain how a reasonable, educated person would worship such a god.
Because those people have created a "strawman" God that doesn't actually exist even as a concept.

They've invented the God they want, not the God that is actually described in the Bible.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Call Him a despot or tyrant also but one will be there for judgement day
Those who resort to threats of judgment day or hell (or both) are really giving us all a tour of the sludge and bile, the blackness and immorality of our dark sides.

I say this because those who use threats like this are not championing God. Oh no ... I'm sure they respect God too much than to treat him like a southern belle whose honor was just sullied.

What they're actually defending is their own belief and their decision to engage in it. It is THEY who want the punishment - they're just passing on the responsibility to God in the hopes that "God will show those unbelievers muhahahaha!"

Thus, the darkness of their souls really comes to the fore when we all understand that they secretly want us to burn forever in torment for doing nothing more than doubting and criticizing their religious beliefs.

That's the true reason for the threats.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:41 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,586 times
But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

(Deuteronomy 20:10-14)
As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

(2 Samuel 12:11-14 NAB)
Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'
Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the Lord." Nathan answered David: "The Lord on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the Lord by this deed, the child born to you must surely die." [The child dies seven days later.]

Such a loving God...such a good God.....such a compassionate God....such a holy God...

Sorry, I don't worship, pray to, or look up to psychopaths. I have more self respect for myself. I'm sure the Christians will now say I do not understand these passages. I say....the verses speak for themselves.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:47 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You missed the part where Texan explained HOW:

"They are believing in a God of their own making...their own imagination..their own brain...not the God of the Bible. They are conveniently denying reality..."

In other words, they conjure up a more sublime, user friendly god that is often a salad bar of different "sides" that is more palatable to digest. They are too intelligent to accept some baby killing, prejudiced, sexist, egotistical tyrant displayed in the early to mid Old Testament.
Perhaps it is Texan that has "invented" a god he can despise.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Tell that to the hundreds of millions of people who worshiped and adored Mao, Hitler, Stalin, Osama bin Laden, even Saddam Hussein.
None of those men ever gave their life for my redemption. None of them have ever been resurrected, to prove their diety.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

(Deuteronomy 20:10-14)
As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

(2 Samuel 12:11-14 NAB)
Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'
Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the Lord." Nathan answered David: "The Lord on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the Lord by this deed, the child born to you must surely die." [The child dies seven days later.]

Such a loving God...such a good God.....such a compassionate God....such a holy God...

Sorry, I don't worship, pray to, or look up to psychopaths. I have more self respect for myself. I'm sure the Christians will now say I do not understand these passages. I say....the verses speak for themselves.
Have you considered the context, the reason(s) God give for such judgements?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:12 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,949,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Those who resort to threats of judgment day or hell (or both) are really giving us all a tour of the sludge and bile, the blackness and immorality of our dark sides.

I say this because those who use threats like this are not championing God. Oh no ... I'm sure they respect God too much than to treat him like a southern belle whose honor was just sullied.

What they're actually defending is their own belief and their decision to engage in it. It is THEY who want the punishment - they're just passing on the responsibility to God in the hopes that "God will show those unbelievers muhahahaha!"

Thus, the darkness of their souls really comes to the fore when we all understand that they secretly want us to burn forever in torment for doing nothing more than doubting and criticizing their religious beliefs.

That's the true reason for the threats.
This ain't no threat it is a promise.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Have you considered the context, the reason(s) God give for such judgements?
The context under which children being dashed upon the rocks is good? No sorry...I don't see any context under which that is right under any circumstances. The context under which it's ok to stone a non virgin? Yeah sorry, once again drawing a blank on that one as being a good thing to do under any circumstance or in any time period. Do you personally think these are good actions and that if you knew someone who did these things or took delight in them would be someone you would look up to? Just curious. Otherwise you strike me as yet another Christian making excuses for psychopathic behavior for this God you worship, much like I'm sure some Germans made excuses as to why it was OK that Hitler was gassing the Jews.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it is Texan that has "invented" a god he can despise.
No invention needed. You just need look no further than the Bible verses themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality