Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of us have given a thought or two to this.

What kind of service, if any, do you want when you pass away? Do you want 'the works' to be administered at your place of worship and then a procession to the cemetary accompanied by your dear friends and relations? Do you prefer something a little more modest administered by your clergy? Or would you prefer none of the above and just an expeditious arrangement where survivors can do whatever they want in memory of your life and relationship to them? Maybe you have some other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM

792 posts, read 497,380 times
I am an avid kayaker. I have requested of my SO that I be cremated and my ashes dumped in the headwaters of our "home" river so I can run the whole thing one more time.

If she goes first she wants to be buried in a local natural preserve, biodegradable casket, no embalming, etc.

We both are appalled by the common embalming + casket + whatever that waterproof metal box thing they bury people in.

No services, no words, just the necessities. There is nothing to be said.

e: Maybe this Mark Twain quote:

It comes at last - the only unpoisoned gift ever had for them - and they vanish from a world where they were of no consequence; where they achieved nothing; where they were a mistake and a failure and a foolishness; where they have left no sign that have existed - a world which will lament them a day and forget them forever.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:54 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Funeral rituals are for the living, not the dead. My survivors can do whatever comforts them. I will not care, at that point, one way or the other. Also, even now, I do not visualize some particular observance or practice that I imagine would validate my existence in some way, or extend for even a few days, my footprint in the land of the living.

I am the youngest of four boys -- the youngest by a full decade -- and I will likely be the person to turn out the lights on my family tree. I suppose this has conditioned me to expect to die as I was born and as I have lived -- alone. And that's okay. Everything else is ultimately illusory, anyway.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:23 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,512,471 times

If I could. Viking funeral.....totally.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
I keep wondering whether I can arrange a Balinese creation with gamelan gong and dancing girls.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,512,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I keep wondering whether I can arrange a Balinese creation with gamelan gong and dancing girls.
http://youtu.be/k9lNc4fu8Zc

You mean something like this? Interesting.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
http://youtu.be/k9lNc4fu8Zc

You mean something like this? Interesting.
Possibly...legong kraton might not be appropriate, standard welcome dance like gabor or Pendet is always safe -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR9bjN4jAVM

or even a Kreasi baru based on something like this... Arq psyching himself up to do battle with the Apologists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4C7T0-G7Ho

Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I'm setting aside several thousand dollars for a big party.

There will be no service but I would expect/hope a few folks will say nice things about me. (That should be possible because I'll have paid for all the booze and food.)

I'll be cremated and will keep my sons busy scattering ashes. There are three water bodies whose secrets I've plumbed for 40+ years. I want some of me left in each.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:48 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
I want to be cremated, and if we're still living in the Seattle area, I'd like to have my remains scattered in Puget Sound. I don't want a viewing or a memorial service of any kind. I'd prefer for everyone I knew to go out for a nice dinner or something.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
I'll be having a paddle out. Early in the morning surfers wearing leis or carrying flowers in their teeth (beyond cool) paddle out into the ocean and make a circle with their boards. They sit on their boards and people have a chance to say a few words or share a memory. Prayers are said. Then everyone places their flowers on the water's surface, joins hands then raises them towards the sky. Some chant or call out a goodbye. Then they drop their hands and splash the water. Then... they surf.

Just a few weeks ago I mentioned where I wanted my paddle out to be (off the pier of my favorite childhood beach) and my son said, "Surf's better at Huntington." I told him I'd try to ask God for good waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality