Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Sinful nature. ie we are inclined to commit sins.

For example, any warm blooded male will naturally want to sleep with an attractive woman out of wedlock.

Bless your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:55 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
To the OP:

Original Sin is a great idea! Guilt is a great way to manipulate and control people.
Freak, I'm starting to have some serious concerns about you. I'm going to be keeping my eye on you, pal!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
What do you view human nature as sinful? I can understand when it leads to the harm of others but not when it harms no one.
How many people do you know who has never done anything to harm someone else? I'm not necessarily talking about causing serious harm, but I am talking about selfish decisions or a loss of temper that is later regretted? Isn't every person alive looking out for number 1 -- even when his decisions impact somebody else? To me, that's all that is meant by the statement that "human nature is sinful."

Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Freak, I'm starting to have some serious concerns about you. I'm going to be keeping my eye on you, pal!
Hey now. I'm not the one threatening you with eternal torture if you fail to give me 10% of your income for life.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:35 PM

157 posts, read 101,699 times
The world you are living in is created by HIS Majesty’s words; so with this principle it appears the mankind is sinful. The scripture clearly states that He asks the Elohims of what to do with that blemish and you are here without the paradise.

Now His Words live anew(check the guy who was called the Messiah), so rejoice the original sin is paid.

The spiritual life is for the spiritual persons, right?

Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Hey now. I'm not the one threatening you with eternal torture if you fail to give me 10% of your income for life.
Hmmm. The plot thickens.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:07 AM

874 posts, read 636,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
What do you view human nature as sinful? I can understand when it leads to the harm of others but not when it harms no one.
I believe that the flesh is like all the animals in the kingdom. When an animal is hungry, it takes what it wants - even if it belongs to another, provided it is big and strong enough to do so. When an animal has a "home" (territory) it protects that territory against others who want to move in. With heard animals and some others, like lions, the male "collects" females - by killing the older weaker male if he has to in order to get what he wants - and he kills the babies, or in the best situation runs them off, because he doesn't want another's "seed" to grow up in his heard. If two males have a disagreement, they often fight to the death (with out remorse). If one animal has something and another wants it, the second takes it, if he is big and strong enough to do so.

Stealing, murder, and coveting are considered "sinful" in human society. Man without conscience would be like the animals. I don't think animals are "sinful", but I do think they live by a set of baser standards. Man's society tries to rise above that standard.

Sadly we see these things in a lot of people anyway. A street thug robs a convenience store or a politician steals millions from the people. The prisons are filled with people who did whatever they chose to do because it benefited them - regardless of what it did to others.

We have law books that are filled with what is wrong, but most people do what is right because they have a conscience, not because they are afraid of being caught and punished. It is the conscience of man that lets us rise above the animal kingdom's basic instincts. I believe that conscience comes from God - whether one believes in God or not. I believe that is the other side of the flesh of man.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:24 AM

874 posts, read 636,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
If you believe the story of Adam and Eve is true, you must also believe in the talking snake who tempted Eve to eat the apple.
Tee hee hee. This made me chuckle. I like that talking snake thing.

But... I do believe that the Adam and Eve story is true, as I understand my Bible to portray it. But I didn't find that it was a snake or an apple. That's one of those church things.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I believe that the flesh is like all the animals in the kingdom. When an animal is hungry, it takes what it wants - even if it belongs to another, provided it is big and strong enough to do so. When an animal has a "home" (territory) it protects that territory against others who want to move in. With heard animals and some others, like lions, the male "collects" females - by killing the older weaker male if he has to in order to get what he wants - and he kills the babies, or in the best situation runs them off, because he doesn't want another's "seed" to grow up in his heard. If two males have a disagreement, they often fight to the death (with out remorse). If one animal has something and another wants it, the second takes it, if he is big and strong enough to do so.

Stealing, murder, and coveting are considered "sinful" in human society. Man without conscience would be like the animals. I don't think animals are "sinful", but I do think they live by a set of baser standards. Man's society tries to rise above that standard.

Sadly we see these things in a lot of people anyway. A street thug robs a convenience store or a politician steals millions from the people. The prisons are filled with people who did whatever they chose to do because it benefited them - regardless of what it did to others.

We have law books that are filled with what is wrong, but most people do what is right because they have a conscience, not because they are afraid of being caught and punished. It is the conscience of man that lets us rise above the animal kingdom's basic instincts. I believe that conscience comes from God - whether one believes in God or not. I believe that is the other side of the flesh of man.
Is stealing due to starvation a sin?

Why is coveting sinful? It harms no one.

Why is lust a sin?

I understand why we view acts that harm others for personal benefit as sinful. I'm asking why are certain things that harm no one viewed as sinful?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:42 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I believe that conscience comes from God - whether one believes in God or not. I believe that is the other side of the flesh of man.
If you insist upon viewing the natural world through the lens of primitive superstition, then sure, the conscience comes from God. Just like thunder is actually angels bowling in Heaven.

Additionally, if the conscience comes from God, how do you explain the existence of sociopaths? Do you think God decides randomly to not give certain people a conscience just to stir the pot and watch the ensuing mayhem?

Unless God is utterly capricious and malevolent by withholding a conscience from certain individuals, it makes far more sense that having that "little voice" to keep us within the bounds of society is simply an evolutionary advantage to a gregarious species - like humans.

This bizarre need to pin every unexplained or poorly understood phenomenon on a deity is mind-boggling to me, especially considering religious explanations have never, not once, been proven to be the correct answer. No ... thunder is NOT caused by angels bowling in Heaven.

Then again, you also said that the Adam and Eve story was true. Heh. To think that there are still people who believe humanity was created magically from a pile of dirt and a rib ... its like visiting an anthropology museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality