Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Oh sure, there is some lip service given at times. But usually it is because of a group that has been seriously out of whack for some time, such as the Westboro Baptist.

We see little Muslim street outrage against their radicals. In fact, often there are demonstrations in support of them, and certainly tacit approval given by a majority as recent Pew polls have indicated.

Recently we've had that outrageous rant by Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty, yet one hears little if no denunciation by mainstream Christian organizations. In fact apologists have given tacit support to this seriously deranged individual.

Why is there reluctance by those that are adherents of the same religions to openly, loudly, frequently and on a sustained basis denounce those on the fringes?

If society were to see as strong an effort made to denounce the fringes and the wackos, then perhaps some of the other attempts made by some of those religious leaders could be taken with more credibility.

If you can't get your leaders to denounce these issues loudly and publicly, what are you doing in your church or mosque? You are part of the problem if you can't push your leadership. I don't care if the leaders feelings are hurt, but right is right, and to avoid the issue by being silent you're being complicit in perpetrating the wrongs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 12:51 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Fear, mainly.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:29 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh sure, there is some lip service given at times. But usually it is because of a group that has been seriously out of whack for some time, such as the Westboro Baptist.

We see little Muslim street outrage against their radicals. In fact, often there are demonstrations in support of them, and certainly tacit approval given by a majority as recent Pew polls have indicated.

Recently we've had that outrageous rant by Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty, yet one hears little if no denunciation by mainstream Christian organizations. In fact apologists have given tacit support to this seriously deranged individual.

Why is there reluctance by those that are adherents of the same religions to openly, loudly, frequently and on a sustained basis denounce those on the fringes?

If society were to see as strong an effort made to denounce the fringes and the wackos, then perhaps some of the other attempts made by some of those religious leaders could be taken with more credibility.

If you can't get your leaders to denounce these issues loudly and publicly, what are you doing in your church or mosque? You are part of the problem if you can't push your leadership. I don't care if the leaders feelings are hurt, but right is right, and to avoid the issue by being silent you're being complicit in perpetrating the wrongs.
Funny, I have never seen an atheist disagree or criticize another atheist much less denounce them. Bill Maher can say the most disgusting vile things about Christians, but that's perfectly fine and good as long as it is against Christians, right?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Or as they say, no balls.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny, I have never seen an atheist disagree or criticize another atheist much less denounce them. Bill Maher can say the most disgusting vile things about Christians, but that's perfectly fine and good as long as it is against Christians, right?
Bill Maher isn't cutting off heads or carrying "God hates ****" signs.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,832 times
If your brother or sister said or did something terrible, would you announce to the world how evil they are and that you have nothing to do with them? I think most people would probably try to handle the situation within their family before they start airing their dirty laundry.

This is how Muslims view their fellow Muslims: as brother and sister. It is very different from the Christian community where individual churches might see each other as family, but someone in a Lutheran church in Minnesota wouldn't consider someone in a Black Protestant Church in Mississippi as a brother.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:41 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
You need to do more research: Bill Maher, himself an atheist, as you acknowledged in your post, criticized Yale Atheists.

Bill Maher Criticizes Yale Atheist Group for Not Supporting Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Or are you only complaining about your religion being the target?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Lol. I'm not an atheist but I've denounced Bill Maher. Does that count? Pay close attention, because I'm going to do it again: I think he's one more self-absorbed talking head who says stuff to get a rise out of people. I don't like him so I turn the channel.

Easy peasy.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,658 times
Lutheran church in Minnesota wouldn't consider someone in a Black Protestant Church in Mississippi as a brother.

Not necessarily true. Love of God cuts across ethnic lines. In my congregation we have whites AND blacks AND Hispanics mixed together.

rant by Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

if it is the one in support of traditional values why should we denounce it. A lot of Christians support traditional values...

You are part of the problem if you can't push your leadership.

Excuse me? I am not there to "push" my leadership.

Westboro Baptist.

Wackos that want attention. Best thing to do with their type is ignore them.

Why doesn't the secular humanist progressive atheist left denounce their fringe elements publicly? And they have a LOT of fringe elements ie: radical feminism, radical homosexuals, radical civil rights, radical evolutionists, radical animal rights, radical environmentalists.....just to name some.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

rant by Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

if it is the one in support of traditional values why should we denounce it. A lot of Christians support traditional values...
Have you heard that loonie tune?

The man is an embarrassment.

Quote:
You are part of the problem if you can't push your leadership.

Excuse me? I am not there to "push" my leadership.
Why not if they are not doing the right thing but hiding behind a veil of solidarity? Don't you lobby and push your councilor, mayor, governor of senator if you feel strongly about an issue? Why not push the religious leaders?

Quote:
Why doesn't the secular humanist progressive atheist left denounce their fringe elements publicly? And they have a LOT of fringe elements ie: radical feminism, radical homosexuals, radical civil rights, radical evolutionists, radical animal rights, radical environmentalists.....just to name some.

Please delineate what you define as radical in the groups you listed. I might surprise you and agree in some cases, and not in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality